Early ball joint boot failure

My biggest complaint about moog ball joints and tie rod ends is the boots rot out after a couple years. The ball joints would last a lot longer if you could keep the grease inside them. Does the warranty cover torn boots? Also do you still have a warranty on parts that were already warranted out? The boot issue may be across the board too, it might not be just moog either though.

Not going to answer the broad generalizations, can you describe 1) the vehicle 2) the roads traversed (gravel, pavement, off-road) 3) what do you mean by rot out? Its rubber, so unsure how that rots unless it was exposed to harsh chemicals or environmental damage. Photos would be helpful.

Moog warranty info should be available online.

As in the boots just crack open over time and turn to pieces. This is my 3/4 ton dodge. It stays on the pavement other than my gravel driveway

I would see if you can get them to send you new boots. You may be able to find universal boots but you will have to measure to get the right size. I've had other manufacturer boots come apart way too early as well.

I guess so. Doesn't say if I will have to purchase them the next time around though since all my front ens parts were already warranteed
If it is a lifetime warranty part (e.g., The Problem Solver grade), most parts stores will honor it for life if you have the receipt or if they can locate the transaction in their point of sale computer system. If you get pushback from a particular national chain store, try a different B+M location. I've had to do that twice at Advance Auto Parts over the years.

The warranty usually doesn't cover torn boots, unless it was clearly a manufacturing defect :sneaky:

If it is a lifetime warranty part (e.g., The Problem Solver grade), most parts stores will honor it for life if you have the receipt or if they can locate the transaction in their point of sale computer system. If you get pushback from a particular national chain store, try a different B+M location. I've had to do that twice at Advance Auto Parts over the years.

At Autozone, you don't even need the receipt. just your phone number. If you gave them your number when you bought it, it will show up at warranty time :)

The warranty usually doesn't cover torn boots, unless it was clearly a manufacturing defect :sneaky:

At Autozone, you don't even need the receipt. just your phone number. If you gave them your number when you bought it, it will show up at warranty time :)

Not always, based on my 25+ year history in purchasing from AutoZone...
I don't frequent O'Reilly's nearly as often as AutoZone or Advance Auto due to their higher regular prices and smaller selection of supplies. However, I have found O'Reilly's to be superior when: (1) seeking out certain hard to find items (e.g., Redline SI-1, WIX branded filters) and (2) especially when purchasing parts with a lifetime warranty. O'Reilly's computer system maintains the warranty information indefinitely and it is networked between locations. AutoZone deletes the info from their system every few years when their software is updated and some Advance Auto brick and mortar locations play fast and loose with interpreting what "limited" lifetime warranty means. I have actually been told by two different A.A. store managers that "limited" means that the warranty was limited to the functional lifetime of the alternator that failed 5 years later! 😲 Go figure...

Advance Auto also has a history of superseding a part with a new brand/label (e.g., Driveworks vs. Carquest), often rendering the original part number void in their inventory system. They can't honor a lifetime warranty on a superseded part number that is not in their current POS* system because there is no way to enter an exchange into their system. I had the printed receipt for a lifetime warranty Carquest door lock actuator that was superseded and all the manager could do was refund the original price and offer to sell me the same actuator in a different labeled box for $15 more than I originally paid. I said no thanks and ordered it from Amazon for $15 less than what I originally paid. Also, online purchases picked up at a local Advance Auto B&M store do not appear in their computer systems.

*double entendre by design

Is your 3/4 ton Ram over 8000 lbs. GVWR?? Then the “lifetime” warranty doesn’t apply either! Like I’ve said elsewhere-Moog isn’t what they used to be!
It is but they warrantees it anyways lol who knows though @$1700 there's no telling whether or not they were warranted or not.

I would see if you can get them to send you new boots. You may be able to find universal boots but you will have to measure to get the right size. I've had other manufacturer boots come apart way too early as well.
I think it's the grease. I bet they arent using a rubber compatible with petroleum oils/grease. The boots on the ball joints on my side by side are still in place for the record

Not always, based on my 25+ year history in purchasing from AutoZone...
They occasionally "update" their entire system and info is lost.

On one hand I understand that we need massive system overhauls or we'd still be running on DOS 1.0.

OTOH I'm never afraid of a little conspiracy theory and AutoZone can't be too upset about culling some potential warranty liability. After all it should be possible to retain and transfer all warranty/purchase history, but when all else fails you just shrug and say "Dem compooter thingies is compalicated. Oopsie!"

They occasionally "update" their entire system and info is lost.

On one hand I understand that we need massive system overhauls or we'd still be running on DOS 1.0.

OTOH I'm never afraid of a little conspiracy theory and AutoZone can't be too upset about culling some potential warranty liability. After all it should be possible to retain and transfer all warranty/purchase history, but when all else fails you just shrug and say "Dem compooter thingies is compalicated. Oopsie!"
I placed an online order with them, then decided that I would get the item at the autozone by my work a couple days later instead of the one 15 miles each way. They couldn't do a refund over the phone because they can't lookup the order or some weird excuse. I can give you the order number.... Told me I had to come in person and cancel the order. I asked, well what if I just didn't pick it up? You'll still be charged..... I called corporate to complain, but turned out they could refund my money, so I didn't bother making a fuss. So clearly autozone still operates on windows 95

Do you see an exclusion in their warranty for wear or for boots? If not, it is covered.

Autozone, I've had a case where the part was sold with a lifetime warranty, and it was in their system that I had purchased it, but a few years after purchase, they stopped offering the lifetime warranty on the part, and that lifetime warranty wasn't in their system after that, so I did need (a scan of, since the original receipt had long since faded) the receipt which stated lifetime warranty on it to show that it had the lifetime warranty. It was a pair of hood struts and they fail about every 3-4 years, though the last set has outlasted all prior.

I have some Moog boots that are fine after 10+ years. Their Problem Solver line does have a lifetime warranty but it's often times a real pain in the butt trying to deal with the local retailer. In my case Napa...who makes all sort of excuses to deny lifetime warranty parts. It's gotten so bad with the local retailers to the point where it's just easier dealing with a large online reseller like RockAuto instead.

I could spend the time writing a complaint letter to customer service or try to push through to the manufacturer directly, but that'll usually take a few weeks and usually when you have a bad part you want to get the car back on the road asap.

Last edited:
I have some Moog boots that are fine after 10+ years. Their Problem Solver line does have a lifetime warranty but it's often times a real pain in the butt trying to deal with the local retailer. In my case Napa...who makes all sort of excuses to deny lifetime warranty parts. It's gotten so bad with the local retailers to the point where it's just easier dealing with a large online reseller like RockAuto instead.

I could spend the time writing a complaint letter to customer service or try to push through to the manufacturer directly, but that'll usually take a few weeks and usually when you have a bad part you want to get the car back on the road asap.
Doesn't mean you can't still get a new part for the next time. No reason a ball joint can't go 3 more weeks either. Mine were probably bad for several thousand miles. There's bad then there is unsafe.

If the tear isn't too bad you can use some self vulcanizing underground electrical splicing tape to cover and seal it up. I use this but they also have a silicone type.

Scotch Linerless Rubber Splicing Tape 130C​

If the tear isn't too bad you can use some self vulcanizing underground electrical splicing tape to cover and seal it up. I use this but they also have a silicone type.

Scotch Linerless Rubber Splicing Tape 130C​

I want to say they typically split where the creases are.

Back