E85 Tuned 2.7 EcoBoost F150?

Got an '18 2.7 on full E85 (~400hp, 500tq) currently running 5w-30 PP and wanting to make a switch as the fuel dilution is just brutal on these ecos from the start, and with the extra fuel being diluted in from the E85 which is tuned conservatively rich my oil changes tend to reak of ethanol and be on the thin side. Looking to keep my OCIs between 3-5k depending on how much track day abuse it gets at the strip. It has dual injection with a variable displacement oil pump. Hot Florida climate rarely see below 60. The PP idles smoother than the syn blend MC for sure but I think it is just too thin for what I'm doing. Looking for an off the shelf solution.

Pretty sure a 40 weight oil would be warranted in this scenario considering the abuse and the tune, just need help narrowing down my options. Looking at 5w40 options currently such as the Delvac/Delo and Castrol Edge. What would you guys suggest for this application?

Castrol 0w40 or any HDEO in 15w40 would be my choice but I have no experience with a tuned ecoboost.

I use Castrol 0w40 in my eco, but would have no issues using something like Vavoline, Delo or the like. Especially with 3k changes

Are you using the truck for truck things or just DD'ing it? Ive heard the Castrol Magnatec is great in the ecoboost engines, but they don't sell the magnatec in a xW-40. Have you ran a UOA to see how thin its getting? If you need to make a switch immediately I would go with Mobil 0w40, its stout stuff plus a rebate makes it a hard to pass up deal. But Mobil 0w40 and Castrol 0w40/5w40, would most likely work for the thining of the oil.

Castrol 0w40 or any HDEO in 15w40 would be my choice but I have no experience with a tuned ecoboost.

I use Castrol 0w40 in my eco, but would have no issues using something like Vavoline, Delo or the like. Especially with 3k changes
That's good to see someone running a 40 weight with good results in an eco as most run a 5w-30 even tuned raptor guys. So from your knowledge the A3/B4 0w edge would be a better choice over the US 5w edge? And I would open to running a 15w-40 HDEO as well, I run rotella in my drift car. Just worried it might be too thick compared to the 5w-40 variants but I guess the 5w would shear considerably faster.

Are you using the truck for truck things or just DD'ing it? Ive heard the Castrol Magnatec is great in the ecoboost engines, but they don't sell the magnatec in a xW-40. Have you ran a UOA to see how thin its getting? If you need to make a switch immediately I would go with Mobil 0w40, its stout stuff plus a rebate makes it a hard to pass up deal. But Mobil 0w40 and Castrol 0w40/5w40, would most likely work for the thining of the oil.
Truck is used mostly as a spirited DD but sees towing and loads once in a while, maybe once a month. Was originally looking for magnatec in a 40w but started looking at the edge products instead. Haven't ran a UOA but I'd like to next oil change, seems like Blackstone isn't well regarded around here for there fuel dilution measurements. And your suggestion is the Mobil 1 euro formula, the only 0w-40 they make right? I'm guessing the euro Mobil 1 would be the direct comparison to the B3/B4 castrol.

Last edited:
Truck is used mostly as a spirited DD but sees towing and loads once in a while, maybe once a month. Was originally looking for magnatec in a 40w but started looking at the edge products instead. Haven't ran a UOA but I'd like to next oil change, seems like Blackstone isn't well regarded around here for there fuel dilution measurements. And your suggestion is the Mobil 1 euro formula, the only 0w-40 they make right? I'm guessing the euro Mobil 1 would be the direct comparison to the B3/B4 castrol.
The more you stick around you the more you will see everyone here hates something, and birds of a feather tend to flock together. I am just trying to get an idea of use, for regular driving I would do an xW40 no doubt. Between the ethanol and the harshness of the turbo stepping up a grade won't hurt. The idea behind the UOA was to see how much it might be shearing. Because to me oil always looks thinning come out then going in lol and yes the Mobil 1 0W40 is the euro one. I've heard that one is a tad on the thicker side, I have run the Castrol (in a VQ not a ecoboost), and it runs well. But, like I said before the mobil 1 is just a killer deal.

The more you stick around you the more you will see everyone here hates something, and birds of a feather tend to flock together. I am just trying to get an idea of use, for regular driving I would do an xW40 no doubt. Between the ethanol and the harshness of the turbo stepping up a grade won't hurt. The idea behind the UOA was to see how much it might be shearing. Because to me oil always looks thinning come out then going in lol and yes the Mobil 1 0W40 is the euro one. I've heard that one is a tad on the thicker side, I have run the Castrol (in a VQ not a ecoboost), and it runs well. But, like I said before the mobil 1 is just a killer deal.
Will definitely get a UOA going and post it on here soon when I get my truck back, blew out the whole rear end from wheel hop at the strip if that gives you any idea about how I treat this truck lol. So 0w40 in either mobil or castrol, whichever is the better deal, is what I'll try next. Will also get my buddy with a APS twin turbo 04 z to give the 40s a shot too, maybe start getting some UOA from that as well for the sake of research. He's also on PP 5w-30 but going to try to get him to switch for the sake of his VQ LOL.

I use PP 10-30 in mine. No discernible gas mileage hit, and it doesn’t start making little noises at 5,000 miles. I change it out every 7500. It sees towing on occasion, we have a travel trailer and those always put on a good load due to frontal area, always interstate speeds so it get a workout when we go. I think you’d be fine with the 10-30, especially if it’s a synthetic.

DELO 5w40 is SN/CK4.
Same with the delvac esp from my understanding. From what I've read, the HTHSV on those 5w diesel oils with thicker bases would surpass the a3/b4 castrol, perhaps making them better candidates for track use. But the a3/b4 doesn't seem like a bad choice at all either, especially being more gasoline engine oriented than the ck4s. 0w castrol is also more readily available off the shelf than the 5w ck4s in my area. I'm catless if that makes any difference.

Back