E85 and oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use E85? And have you had any oil issues? I have heard that you need special oil for E85 but then I also heard that Chrysler has since rescinded that requirement.

I have just drained my fill of Amsoil signature series 0W30 after a one year 9,000 mile run and I plan on having a UOA done “Blackstone” and I have collected the sample. I also used the Eao filter too.

It seems to look and smell normal “although very dark” and was still very slippery when I was sloshing my hand around in the drain pan looking for the drain plug! Also had a hard time holding onto the old filter too.

This was a used vehicle that was subjected to Wal-Mart Fram filters and “bulk” Pennzoil 5W30 prior to our purchase of it.
37.gif
It is 2002 Dodge Grnd Caravan 3.3 L flex fuel and I have not had any complaints with the way it has been running etc all seems normal for a vehicle of that age.

Yea I refilled with Amsoil 0W30 signature, I will be excited to see the UOA. I do have to add some oil apx 1 quart every month or 1 ½ months it does seem to be slowing down on usage as time goes by. NO external leaks and it does not smoke but I suspect some valve seal leakage due to the bad choice of oil from the prior owners.

That bulk Penz that I replaced was just put in 1 week before we bought the van and it was as thin as water and was very very black and did not seem to be slippery at all when I changed it out. I installed a Napa gold filter and flushed with Amsoil flush before draining the old oil then I installed the Amsoil, engine ran smoother, ran cooler and the RPM’s at idle improved, gas mileage also improved too even with the switch to the E85.

Chrysler's owner's manuals used to have that requirement in there, for a special type of oil when using E85. It also said to change the oil every 3000 miles, regardless of your type of driving, when using E85. Chrysler has since rescinded the special oil requirement, but still does require the more frequent drain intervals.

That is why I will be excited to see the UOA. I don’t even drive the sever service miles on the Amsoil and I would prefer to do 1 year changes.
Once I get some results I’ll post here. I think the Amsoil will be just fine.

The thing with the frequent changes I heard was due to the belief that there would be more acid build up in the oil with the E85 that was also the reason behind the “special oil” from what I read; it was special in that it had a high TBN. I read that they changed the requirement when they had more data that their special oil was not needed.

The Amsoil has a 13.2 TBN so I think/hope that I’ll be OK with the extended drains especially since I am also using the Eao filter as well.

I was also considering the bypass filter system but I can’t seem to locate a suitable place to mount it yet so I don’t know.

I was just wondering with this post if anyone has tried this and if they had any experiences with E85 and extended drains with the oil. I guess I’ll be the Guiney pig for this experiment!

Looking forward to your UOA with SSO (if you're planning on posting it).

That being said, there is nothing wrong with Pennzoil...lots of good UOA's with this oil as well! Don't fall into the ignorant 'Pennzoil hating' trap!

not a trap; I just don't like it, had bad experiences with it in the past and especially don't like the "bulk" version. Having said that I know there are a lot of people who swear by it and have had good luck with it, just not me!!

OK Penz people I know your going to pile on me! So be it I guess!
crazy2.gif

Yes! when I get results from the UOA I will post.

Amsoil recommends only factory change interval on all their oils when running E85. There is a lot of action in the GF-5 rating about dealing with corrosion and emulsion as a result of E85 use also.

M85 was very rough on oil and required the use of synthetic oil with specific additives to mitigate the problems.

E85 is not nearly as reactive and needs no special additives to cope with it.

I think that the concern about special oil for E85 is mostly a carryover from the concern about M85.

It looks like ability to deal with more moisture from burning E85 is the concern in the GF5 specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back