E39 BMW M5 Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
The tires that are on it (Toyo Proxes T1R's) are not ideal however. They give up traction even north of 100Km/h with any sort of heavy pedal. I've never had the traction control come on in anything I've ever driven as often as it comes on in this car.

Make sure the tires aren't underinflated. Traction control has a tendency to kick in a lot more if you're somewhat low on air.

By the way, you still owe us interior pics!
smile.gif

You sir, NAILED IT!

Somebody (I assume the dealer) had all the tiers at 40psi.

The fronts are supposed to be at 44psi, the rears at 48psi.

With the correct amount of air in the tires, it is now no longer "don't look at me that way, or I'll spin and engage the TC on you!" happy. I was able to roll into it in third, wind it out and rail 4th with not a hint of traction loss.

I just had a blast driving it up to Muskoka and back. I'm not going to detail my exploits, but let me just say that I've never been able to take turns as quickly in anything I've ever owned as well as this car takes them.

Be careful.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
I just had a blast driving it up to Muskoka and back. I'm not going to detail my exploits, but let me just say that I've never been able to take turns as quickly in anything I've ever owned as well as this car takes them.

Be careful.

Always am. Was not even close to the limits of the car, or myself. But it was still very surprising.

Oh I have done a couple of "autobahn" runs on closed tracks of course heading up to and back from Mercedes shows.

One time I was heading up to a Mercedes show with my friend and he was in his S600 doing a few Italian tune ups, you know you have to blow it out. Anyway I didn't think we were exceeding the speed limit but other motorists must have since they called us in to the state police. Problem is when you call someone in it takes a bit for the cops to actually start to look.

So we get up to the show and were a bit early, a couple of guys I know with 500E's were about 30 minutes behind us, and they were like holly [censored] you have never seen so many cops on the road...and one got a ticket because they were looking for a couple of Mercedes sedans..
grin.gif

Well I didn't think we were speeding, I mean come on I was following him in my S about 20ft behind, looked like a diplomatic UN convoy to me...
whistle.gif

On the way back we kept it down to 100-110...KPH of course...

Last edited:
Unfortunately found out today that the crankcase breather hoses are both pretty soft/rotten. Will be ordering replacements tomorrow. Already ordered a few oil filters for it.

Going to check the air/oil separator grommets as well, hopefully they are OK.

On a positive note, I've put over 1,000Km on it, and the oil hasn't moved on the dipstick. This one doesn't use oil like the other I looked at.

You sir, NAILED IT!

Glad to hear it was an easy fix. Although I'm kind of surprised at the high PSI that this car calls for. I guess it's dictated by this car's weight and sporty character...

You sir, NAILED IT!

Glad to hear it was an easy fix. Although I'm kind of surprised at the high PSI that this car calls for. I guess it's dictated by this car's weight and sporty character...

I think you are correct. The right pressure made a huge difference.

On that note, I let my buddy with the hopped up '85 GT take it for a drive last night. He fell in love with it and wants one now. He couldn't stop going on about the steering feel, the brakes, and how it felt. I freaked him out by turning on sport mode while he was driving,
grin.gif

He managed to miss 4th gear twice. Wasn't pulling it back far enough. The throws are a lot longer than the aftermarket shifter setup he has on the Mustang.

The blower fan has stopped working. Apparently a very common issue. The secondary resistor needs replacing. It is located just inside the centre console and quite easy to get at. However, it isn't all that cheap at ~90.00.

64116929540.jpg

You sir, NAILED IT!

I think you are correct. The right pressure made a huge difference.

On that note, I let my buddy with the hopped up '85 GT take it for a drive last night. He fell in love with it and wants one now. He couldn't stop going on about the steering feel, the brakes, and how it felt. I freaked him out by turning on sport mode while he was driving,
grin.gif

He managed to miss 4th gear twice. Wasn't pulling it back far enough. The throws are a lot longer than the aftermarket shifter setup he has on the Mustang.

The blower fan has stopped working. Apparently a very common issue. The secondary resistor needs replacing. It is located just inside the centre console and quite easy to get at. However, it isn't all that cheap at ~90.00.

64116929540.jpg

Uh oh, here come the BMW M5 sized repair bills...
wink.gif
Well hopefully not, but if you were a person afraid to open the hood you can see how it might be expensive! All the better for guys like you though, that's how a $90K car becomes $20K and a relative performance bargin.

I am expecting to realistically have to do a few repairs over the next few months to this car. Based on the mileage, and how clean it is, I don't think it was driven much. And not like I'm driving it.

When you start to use things, particularly things that haven't been used in this manner before, they break. I doubt the previous owner noticed anything about the crankcase breather hoses being amiss. I didn't until I started poking around under the hood. And it is quite possible I'll find something else buggered up when I replace those.

The cluster has a few dead pixels in the LCD display below the gauges. It isn't bad enough to bother me right now, so I'll likely leave it alone until it is.

I also need to find a newer maps CD for the NAV. Mine is from 2001. And the 6-disc changer for it. This car didn't come with the changer. The other I looked at did. However this car has premium sound, which means it has a LOT of speakers inside. How you get premium sound without the CD changer baffles me
grin.gif

I may also get an aftermarket shifter. But I'm still up in the air about that. Part of me wants those precise shifts you get from something like a Tri-Ax, but another part likes the way the stock shifter feels. Even if the throws are a little long.

Yep, there's bound to be the odd issue with any 10 year old car from time to time. But its great to have a car you like fixing to keep it in good shape.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Yep, there's bound to be the odd issue with any 10 year old car from time to time. But its great to have a car you like fixing to keep it in good shape.

Exactly.

64116929540.jpg

Hahahaha! Welcome to the world of E39. That was the first thing that went south on my car as well, except that my car was only 4 years old at the time.
smile.gif

Maybe I'm warped or to used to German cars but when I hear $90 I'm like oh that's not to bad!

On the plus side is now when your Ford breaks you are going to feel like parts are [censored] near free!

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Maybe I'm warped or to used to German cars but when I hear $90 I'm like oh that's not to bad!

Hehe... yup. By the way, this part is only $52 from Autohausaz.com, but I don't know how much they charge for shipping to Canada.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Hehe... yup. By the way, this part is only $52 from Autohausaz.com, but I don't know how much they charge for shipping to Canada.

Interesting. The price I mentioned was from bavauto.

It may need a clutch too at some point. If I'm over-excited (and quick) with it, it will slip in 3rd or 4th unless I make sure it is fully engaged before going silly with it.

This is apparently common. Many live with it and just slow down their shifting. Others replace the clutch.

The clutch isn't all that pricey really. Under $400.00. I can do it myself, though I may get the Chrysler dealer to do it if they give me a reasonable quote on the labour. I lack a hoist, and this job pretty much requires one.

http://catalog.peachparts.com/ShopByVehicle.epc?q=2001-Bmw-M5-Climate--Control&yearid=2001%40%402001&makeid=31%40%40BMW%40%40X&modelid=1180%3AED|635%3AMBC|174%40%40M5&catid=242213%40%40Climate+Control&subcatid=242304@@Blower+Motor+Resistor&mode=PD

$77 from Peachparts and they ship to Canada.

Bought it, and the breather hoses from Bavauto already. Along with a number of oil filters.

-Chris

BTW, any experience with the UUC performance clutch for this car? Supposed to a lot like the Centerforce I had in my Mustang, which I liked. It would allow me to shift this car.... like I shifted the 'stang.

Should also mention I've been averaging almost 18Mpg mixed driving with this car. That's a heck of a lot better than the Expedition!

Bought it, and the breather hoses from Bavauto already. Along with a number of oil filters.

-Chris

BTW, any experience with the UUC performance clutch for this car? Supposed to a lot like the Centerforce I had in my Mustang, which I liked. It would allow me to shift this car.... like I shifted the 'stang.

Didn't you go through a few transmissions in the 'stang? I guess I don't really see the advantage of shock loading the drivetrain more than what the stock clutch can handle when you have stock torque?
I guess for guys beating the tar out of their 4 cyl trying to get the thing up to speed, it might help a little, but for the broad torque of a V8 it can't be worth the abuse when you're not being timed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back