E39 BMW M5 Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, after having the car for a bit now, I've decided to make a thread detailing my experiences with it thus far.

This is by far the nicest driving car I've ever had the pleasure of using. Power is effortless and everywhere.

Seats are beautifully bolstered and hold you like the hands of an experienced woman.

The seats move in every possible direction, and so it was quite easy to find that "perfect" seating position.

Gauges are orange back-lit and very easy on the eyes. The speedometer is somewhat small for the range of speeds, so it isn't as easy to keep the speed pinned down to something like "98Km/h" like it is on the Expedition. You are guessing a bit.

Clutch pedal is relatively light; definitely much lighter than my Mustang. Engagement is smooth and predicable.

The shifter moves readily into every gear with little effort. Engagement is quick and precise, allowing for easy spirited shifts.

Fuel mileage has been quite good so far. MUCH better than the Expedition, and I'm not being easy on it.

The brakes are phenomenal.

Handling is crisp and responsive, the steering weight is beautifully balanced and hard runs through turns yield predictable results. I was "pushing" a new Grand Prix through some turns last night (he wanted to play) and he almost went in the ditch; discovering every inch of his car's suspension travel fighting it over both lanes of the road trying to regain control. While the M swallowed up the turns with little effort, not even breaking a sweat. My wife was laughing her head off when we passed him, much to his chagrin. The look on his face indicated that he was probably going home to change his shorts.

The tires that are on it (Toyo Proxes T1R's) are not ideal however. They give up traction even north of 100Km/h with any sort of heavy pedal. I've never had the traction control come on in anything I've ever driven as often as it comes on in this car.

The factory HID's are fantastic. However, being low slung, I do find the glare from oncoming lights much more annoying than in the Expedition.

The trunk is cavernous. It has a built-in ski bag that goes through the back seat.

The car is completely silent inside. No road noise, no wind noise, nothing. You don't need to turn up the radio when you go onto the highway.

The passenger mirror drops down to point near the rear tire to ensure you don't drive over anything whenever you put the car in reverse.

It has the front and rear object detection system, so I can snuggle right up behind the Expedition without hitting it.

The factory navigation works incredibly well. The screen is clear and easy to read, and the directions come through the stereo. Not bad for a 10 year old car, LOL!

The exhaust is very quiet, though what noise you do hear is beautiful; the S62 has an incredible note to it, particularly when in full symphony on an approach to 7,000RPM.

The doors close solidly without a hint of sag or play.

The hood, trunk.....etc, everything that opens on the inside is the same. It is like a brand new car still. Better than many brand new cars actually, and by quite a wide margin.

The brushed aluminum trim screams quality. Every panel fits perfectly. The ashtray, lighter, change holder, glove box... Everything is buffered and smooth. They "glide" open and shut.

It has no rattles, no squeaks, nothing. It is perfectly silent. Feels rigid with no yield. Yet the suspension is not harsh. The ride is still fantastic. It is supple without being floaty. And it is controlled without being harsh. A perfect balance.

The car is phenomenal.

PS by Bill in Utah: Here is the thread that has the photos (so far) of his new (to him) BMW. Very nice If I can say so!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
The tires that are on it (Toyo Proxes T1R's) are not ideal however. They give up traction even north of 100Km/h with any sort of heavy pedal. I've never had the traction control come on in anything I've ever driven as often as it comes on in this car.

Make sure the tires aren't underinflated. Traction control has a tendency to kick in a lot more if you're somewhat low on air.

By the way, you still owe us interior pics!
smile.gif

I'm on my 16th BMW ('11 335d), incl. 6 M cars (incl. '88 M5 and '93 M5). They are addictive cars and, by and large, they keep getting better and better. By the way, what oil did you settle on for your M5?

Has the problem with the air-injection system in the that M5 engine been resolved? For a while there were horrific expensive (engine removal/teardown kind of expensive) issues with air-injection, CELs, and emission test failures in the early few years of E39 M5s.

Originally Posted By: GeneralEclectic
Has the problem with the air-injection system in the that M5 engine been resolved? For a while there were horrific expensive (engine removal/teardown kind of expensive) issues with air-injection, CELs, and emission test failures in the early few years of E39 M5s.

The secondary air injection can be deleted with a chip now if it carbons up.

Originally Posted By: m6pwr
I'm on my 16th BMW ('11 335d), incl. 6 M cars (incl. '88 M5 and '93 M5). They are addictive cars and, by and large, they keep getting better and better. By the way, what oil did you settle on for your M5?

Mobil 1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Mobil 1 0w40.

laugh.gif
Congrats on the new car!!

I just did an Inspection 2 on my neighbors 2003 E39 530i. At 79k miles everything was still snug and tight. It badly needed new filters and plugs. After some TLC it drove great!

I'm jelous of all the power you have!

wow. what a sweet car, I love 'em, I commend you on a review well written. says it all, there aren't many other cars that you could say all of that about. Enjoy every moment, that M5 is a collection of brilliant minds in motion.

Congrats and welcome to the world of good German cars! Now no mortal car will make you happy anymore!

If you like the M5 I can think of a few other German cars you probably would really like as well...a 911GT3, comes to mind, for big sedans you haven't lived until you have stomped on a Mercedes V12 at 100mph.

I drove and almost bought a 2009 CPO 750I a few weeks ago. Even though I am a huge Mercedes fan that car reminded me how good a big BMW can be. The last one I drove was a 1994 735IL, which I loved.

Last edited:
yep, nothing ages as well as a high end German machine.

Remember, it was the BEST they did at that time.

Glad for you, it's great to hear the exploits!

Co-worker has a 1992 525i, and the interior is clean and almost blemish free. BMW knows how to build cars, I'll give them that. Now if only he could find what's causing that miss under load...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Co-worker has a 1992 525i, and the interior is clean and almost blemish free. BMW knows how to build cars, I'll give them that. Now if only he could find what's causing that miss under load...
wink.gif

Probably Ignition related.

I just had a blast driving it up to Muskoka and back. I'm not going to detail my exploits, but let me just say that I've never been able to take turns as quickly in anything I've ever owned as well as this car takes them.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
so....are you thinking of clear corners in the future?
smile.gif

I'm probably not going to change the car visually at all. I love the way it looks.

I may however get a chip or something for it at some point.

*the following occurred on a closed course*

It goes from 80 to 220+ REALLY fast (and you still have two gears left). And unlike my old Fox, doesn't feel scary at 220+.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I wonder if it will do 300kph...on a track of course.

As far as I know, with the stock limiter removed, it will do 190Mph. I cannot think of anywhere other than the autobahn where you could test that however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back