E36 M3 engine oil, S52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, just got an E36 M3 and was wondering what viscosity you all recommend for the s52 engine? Currently I am running the Motul x-cess 8100 5w40 and this is what I use in my carrera 4s and is a great oil, track or street, IMO. I performed the first oil change and used the Motul and now have a slight lower end tick. I was thinking about going to a 10w50+, anyone running higher than a 5w40 in their s52 engine? Thanks!!

Can't really say I've heard of a lower end "tick". A low end knock of course and an top end "tick". How many miles are on the engine?
Is he noise present all the time including on cold start-up?
Do you have oil pressure gauge in addition to the oil temp' gauge?

I would do the vanos seals just as preventive maintenance, depending on your seals condition you may feel some extra pep afterwards.

M1 15w50 is the older BMW go to for severe service hoon driving.. and its cheap at walmart as well. Dr vanos kits are ideal if you just want it pre assembled and a proven OEM+ fix.

Skid, post a picture of your clown shoe
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I had an E36 M3 for a few years until a few months ago. Great machine.
thumbsup2.gif

I ran a lot of different oils in it (including several from Motul), and did UOAs on most of them. You can see the history if you browse the topics I've created or search the UOA forum.

I had the best results with RLI products, particularly with the 15w-40 Low Ash.

However, in the end, I just went with Mobil 1 0w-40. It has the right approvals, it's the right viscosity (xw-40), and it costs $5/qt all day long at Wal Mart.

If you think your car has a problem, I would recommend against trying to fix it with oil. CATERHAM asks the right questions. Don't make a move from the spec oil unless you have a reason, and don't assume you have a reason unless you can tell your oil temps and pressures.

Here's some better links... rattle repair:
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/single_vanos_rattle_procedure.htm

Vanos seal:
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_single_procedure.htm

Well, I don't have a photo... it's not a thing of beauty (needs a respray, especially the front bumper cover). That will have to come next year.

I have a photo of the engine with the plastic valve cover removed... (I did the seal job and anti-rattle kit recently). It has around 150k on it. I'm the 4th owner.

Im not so concerned about it just something I noticed. It is not a knock just a light engine ticking that is not from the top end unless it's resonating through. I havent really delved too deep into this at this point but will look more soon. I was more curious about oil viscosity and what everyone was running. Thanks for the input everyone

(Worldwide:)
Engine oil BMW Longlife-01 SAE 0W-30 All temperatures
Engine oil BMW Longlife-01 SAE 0W-40 All temperatures
Engine oil BMW Longlife-01 SAE 5W-30 All temperatures
Engine oil BMW Longlife-01 SAE 5W-40 All temperatures
Engine oil BMW Longlife-01 SAE 5W-50 All temperatures
Engine oil ACEA A3 SAE 0W-40 All temperatures
Engine oil ACEA A3 SAE 5W-30 All temperatures
Engine oil ACEA A3 SAE 5W-40 All temperatures
Engine oil API SJ EC SAE 5W-40 All temperatures
Engine oil API SJ EC SAE 10W-40 From -20 °C to 20 °C

I have a 95 M3 with the S50 engine. I currently have about 270k miles on it. I Bought the car with 30k miles, I'm the second owner. I've been using M1 15w-50 since he day I got it. I did a used oil analysis a couple years or so ago and it came back very positive with lower wear than average after about 7 k miles on the oil. My car has been sitting outside almost its entire life through winters and summers. A couple weeks ago I changed the valve cover gasket and was impressed with what I saw enough to take a pic. Here it is
ycHCwiS.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 855R
Im not so concerned about it just something I noticed. It is not a knock just a light engine ticking that is not from the top end unless it's resonating through. I havent really delved too deep into this at this point but will look more soon. I was more curious about oil viscosity and what everyone was running. Thanks for the input everyone

I'm curious if you've looked into the ticking at all. If you haven't already had an oil analysis done, I recommend it. I had an M52, but they are not significantly different than your engine, except for the vanos. When I sold my E36, it had 188k kms and the engine was silent. Noise is not normal. As was pointed out, vanos can make noise, but it's a top-end rattling sound, not a lower end sound. Good luck with your car.

Originally Posted By: M3m3x5
I have a 95 M3 with the S50 engine. I currently have about 270k miles on it. I Bought the car with 30k miles, I'm the second owner. I've been using M1 15w-50 since he day I got it. I did a used oil analysis a couple years or so ago and it came back very positive with lower wear than average after about 7 k miles on the oil. My car has been sitting outside almost its entire life through winters and summers. A couple weeks ago I changed the valve cover gasket and was impressed with what I saw enough to take a pic. Here it is
ycHCwiS.jpg

Nice clean engine. Incredible for 270k miles. You've obviously done a great job of taking car of your M3. Nice to see, when so many of them are becoming beaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back