E10/E15 octane difference?

They either marked the pump wrong or you read it wrong. All of the E0 gas around here is 89 octane. That is what the marinas are selling.
Most OPE machines will run fine on 87 octane gas because their compression ratio is so low that they don't need a higher octane gas. The only exceptions that I am aware of are a small handful of professional high performance (high compression ratio) chainsaws. The reason that Echo (and other brands) has recommended 89 octane for many years is because they wanted you to get a higher level of detergent additives that the higher octane gas supposedly has. Echo engines would run on as low as 84 octane as this is all that used to be available in other parts of the world. This came directly from Echo's chief engineer (a VERY colorful German gentleman), I heard him say this myself at an advanced service seminar/school that I attended many years ago.
I still want to know what marina that is where they sell Shell 84 octane gasoline. But the OP appears to have abandoned this train wreck of a thread.

That must be a weird one then, all the owner's manuals I saw online said 89 with one that said 90. What model is this?
Its the BG86 and the owners manual said to run 94, anything less than that is it states can make the leafblower run hotter.

Its the BG86 and the owners manual said to run 94, anything less than that is it states can make the leafblower run hotter.
Well you must have a different owner’s manual then, 94 isn’t mentioned anywhere in the one that’s online.

What marina is that which sells 84 octane Shell fuel? That’s very odd.

Last edited:
I looked in the Stihl BG86 owner's manual, it says this...
"Use mid-grade unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 89 ((R+M)/2)and no more than 10% ethanol content. Fuel with a lower octane rating may increase engine temperatures. This, in turn, increases the risk of piston seizure and damage to the engine."

Does it run rough until up to temp? Also sounds like it’s struggling to run at full throttle. I have this model and it’s done it since new. I’ve been told it’s normal.

I want to possibly trade it in on a Husqvarna equivalent or at least compare, but my local dealer has nothing in.

I’ve used E0 in it since new too. I have the Stihl FS70 (I think?) and it runs like a top. No issues.

Does it run rough until up to temp? Also sounds like it’s struggling to run at full throttle. I have this model and it’s done it since new. I’ve been told it’s normal.

I want to possibly trade it in on a Husqvarna equivalent or at least compare, but my local dealer has nothing in.

I’ve used E0 in it since new too. I have the Stihl FS70 (I think?) and it runs like a top. No issues.
Yeah, I put in trufuel 40:1 and its so smooth. don't use 50:1.

I used 50:1 amsoil saber stuff and it was rough, 40:1 with the 84 marine was rough, though when I used 40:1 trufuel it is very smooth.

Yeah, I put in trufuel 40:1 and its so smooth. don't use 50:1.

I used 50:1 amsoil saber stuff and it was rough, 40:1 with the 84 marine was rough, though when I used 40:1 trufuel it is very smooth.
Which marina is it again that you got the Shell 84 octane fuel?

The Colonial Pipeline ships most of the gas around here, it is 85 octane, with no additives in the pipe.
Once at the distribution facility, the first cut is usually 10% Ethanol, to give you 87.
More octane boosters are added to get to midgrade 89, and 92/93....

88 octane gas is 85 with 15% Ethanol added, its cheaper because of the Ethanol kickbacks from the Feds.

Additives are shipped through tanker truck, rail, or ship, because they would damage the pipeline....

Each customer has their own blend of gas additives, but the difference can be as little as a quart can of detergent, added to a tanker load.
Some blends have less Ethanol, and more of other octane boosters...

The Colonial Pipeline ships most of the gas around here, it is 85 octane, with no additives in the pipe.
Once at the distribution facility, the first cut is usually 10% Ethanol, to give you 87.
More octane boosters are added to get to midgrade 89, and 92/93....

88 octane gas is 85 with 15% Ethanol added, its cheaper because of the Ethanol kickbacks from the Feds.

Additives are shipped through tanker truck, rail, or ship, because they would damage the pipeline....

Each customer has their own blend of gas additives, but the difference can be as little as a quart can of detergent, added to a tanker load.
Some blends have less Ethanol, and more of other octane boosters...
Yes and according to Shell Marine they do not retail an 84 octane marine fuel.

Which marina is it again that you got the Shell 84 octane fuel?

US Military doesn’t like folks borrowing their MO-GAS

Straight run gas off the refinery tap leads to similar results

Last edited:
That 84 octane is probably straight gas, with no octane boosters, just a little detergent...

A place near me with tons of OPE, all 25 hp or less, runs 85 with no octane boosters, clearly marked "Off Road Use Only" and "Not A Motor Vehicle Fuel"

Back