E-85 Now costs more then gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't usually our major exports refined fuel instead of straight crude? I know we sen a LOT of biodiesel out of the country. I have been under the impression that refined fuels was our export game.

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool
I see e-85 is $1.29 per gallon in my part of Michigan. If I had A FlexFuel vehicle, I'd be experimenting right now.

Just checking that $1.29 is not a misprint!

Got to be the way states regulate fuels, taxation, and such. I live in the dead middle of Iowa corn country, surrounded by 46 ethanol plants, and E85 does not have the price spread to make it viable for my to use. Usually, the winter months and the E85 spread is considerable and I use it. The best value on anything right now in my area is E15.

Originally Posted By: fsskier
Who would pay extra for a fuel that cuts your mileage by %30? Ethanol has never performed well and would have never found a customer without a huge lobbying effort from the corn growers and ADM.

True infinitely!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Originally Posted By: fsskier
Who would pay extra for a fuel that cuts your mileage by %30? Ethanol has never performed well and would have never found a customer without a huge lobbying effort from the corn growers and ADM.

True infinitely!!!!!

How so? If gas is $1.89 and someone gets, say 18 mpg on it for a total cost of 10.5 cents a mile, and they can get E-85 for $1.19 and only get 14 mpg, for a total cost of 8.5 cents a mile.... a 2 cent a mile savings, how is it more costly to use E85? Oh, and I grabbed those mpg numbers from my experience of using both fuels in my 2013 Silverado. But I actually only get 17 mpg average with gas and 14 mpg average with E85. Which would make the cost savings using E85 even more so when the price spread is as has been posted here.

And E85 doesn't perform well? I suppose for some engines, but I know from the GM hp/torque charts on the 5.3L engine, E85 gives a 10 hp and 6 lb torque increase over regular gas on a stock engine.

Not advocating one way or the other. Just showing the facts as they are. Each person is free to make up their own mind. Just make sure it is not so closed that no facts are allowed to filter in, or so open that your brains fall out.

I think the point he was trying to make is that E85 and E10 fuels are the exact same price now that fuel prices have dropped. A local station had both for $1.85ish actually.

The 5.3 having more HP gains is interesting though.

Well, yeah. If they were the same price, it would make no sense to buy E85 compared to gas. Usually, the spread is enough (E85 lower) that it makes it at least a wash. Even though I have used E85 a fair amount in the past, the price spread in my area is not enough to justify it. Surprisingly, E15 is low enough to justify the use. So we have been filling with E15 for the last few weeks.

74 cents per gallon in Lowell, Michigan today.

Considering it's not 1930, I'm going to go ahead and ask for proof of that.

Originally Posted By: horse123

Go look for yourself. Gas prices have jumped up and down the last two weeks, but E85prices.com will show you proof. Unless you would like me to go out there and send you a photo.
smile.gif

E85 Gas Prices Michigan link

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
$.74 per gallon is dang cheap. Whats the price of E10?

YellowHose.com is a local ethanol producer that always prices e85 at $1.00 less than regular unleaded. That day, gas was $1.74 /gallon. Don't know what it is today.

Last edited:
Still 60 cents cheaper than E10 here. Guess that's what happens when you live in a state heavily influenced by corn lobbyists.

Originally Posted By: horse123

Go look for yourself. Gas prices have jumped up and down the last two weeks, but E85prices.com will show you proof. Unless you would like me to go out there and send you a photo.
smile.gif

E85 Gas Prices Michigan link

A selfie with the fuel prices in the background would be preferred.
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah, that is what I would like to see. I live is just as much of a "corn belt" state as anyone, Iowa, and currently in my area, E10 is 1.79, E15 is 1.67, and E85 is 1.62 at the pump. We have been using the E15 for several weeks now, as there is no mpg change experienced between it and E10, but it is averaging about 5-10 cents a gallon cheaper.

Corn lobby thing is pretty much irrelevant regarding price. Ethanol is a commodity traded on the Chicago Board as much as any other commodity. Corn lobby might influence how states mandate its use, but they have no say in the traded commodity price of the product itself. Lowest ethanol commodity price in that last 7 days on the commodity exchange is 1.31 a gallon. Friday's close was 1.35 a gallon. Farmers cannot state what the price of corn is on any given day, and ethanol producers cannot state what the price of ethanol is any given day. The market will decide for them.The corn lobby influence is given more credit that it deserves.

It sure begs the question, why would a producer, when the market price for ethanol is $1.35 a gallon, be selling the stuff below that? That is business suicide. A business' goal is to keep costs low and increase profits. If the going rate for me to haul a particular product is $2 a mile, I am sure not going to haul it for $1 a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back