DW-1 back in the sump

Status
Not open for further replies.
After driving my in-law's 2011 CR-V some last week, I realized that even the Castrol Transmax IMV in our CR-V shifted quite different from the OEM fluid. So I bought six quarts of DW-1 from my local dealer at $6.18/qt. Three went in last night and three more will go in another few thousand miles at the next oil change. Then continue with one drain/fill every 15k miles. The CR-V shifts smoother on DW-1 vs. Castrol than I previously remember. I will stick with this fluid in the CR-V.

And I'll likely go back to DW-1 in the Acura as well. After replacing the transmission pressure switches last week, I believe that the variable shifting in the Acura was not due to degraded DW-1 or anything else related with the fluid...but due to the flaky switches. Shifting is very solid now (has two drains/fills of Castrol Transmax IMV), even on the firm side when cold. DW-1 will likely go in the Acura at its next service point.

I was doing some reading about the 5A in the Accords. It seems that a lot of people think the pressure switches cause bad shifting and eventual trans failure.

How much was the pressure switch and how hard are they to replace?

Each switch lists for about 50 bucks. And there are two. I got mine for less than $40 each from an online Acura dealer. They took about an hour to change total, but weren't hard to replace. The 4th gear pressure switch sits on top. Very easy, right? You have to remove the intake tube and air box, you have to remove the shift cable from its bracket, you have to loosen a wiring harness bracket, and you have to fiddle for a while with a 22mm deep socket in that crowded area. It eventually comes out. That one took about 45 minutes of [censored] around with it in the relatively confined space. The 3rd gear pressure switch is much easier; it's located on the bottom. One simply removes the lower air dam and replaces the switch which hides behind it.

For $80-100 every 100k miles, I think it's a good preventative replacement move. Mine didn't make a world of difference, but the difference IS noticeable. Cold shifts are much firmer and hot shifts are much more consistent. I reported before that with the DW-1 in the transmission, it felt like it was shearing down when hot, and the shifts got sloppy. That sort of eventually became the case with other fluids, too, though not to the same extent. All of that behavior is gone now. So I will try DW-1 again at the next service point and monitor it.

Accord switches are in slightly different locations I think.

I've ran nothing but DW1 in our V. I've done about 5 drain and fills so far. The last two were done at 15K intervals. This last one will be 30K. As long as the fluid looks in decent shape, I'll stay at that interval.

There is a reason for Honda automatics to shift very firmly, it reduces wear. They are designed that way. If you are having smoother shifting with other fluids, you are increasing wear.

My local dealer sold it to me at 7.25 which was a surprise to me! I was there in person and asked for discount.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I buy a case through h and a.

Its a good price, until you include the $30 shipping to NY. I'm due for a drain and fill, I'm going to try to haggle the parts dept, will hopefully get it at at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted By: R2d2

Its a good price, until you include the $30 shipping to NY. I'm due for a drain and fill, I'm going to try to haggle the parts dept, will hopefully get it at at a reasonable price.

It wasn't bad for the ATF but when I ordered coolant, it was 10.00 more for shipping vs going to honda and buying it there.

Originally Posted By: R2d2

It wasn't bad for the ATF but when I ordered coolant, it was 10.00 more for shipping vs going to honda and buying it there.

I just ordered 4 quarts online at HondaPartsDeal.com for $24 no tax and an online coupon for free shipping. I've used them before $6 shipped is hard to beat.

The switches seem to be a known weak point with these transmissions and are easily replaced. I changed the ones out of our Pilot as a reventive measure @50k and there was a slight difference in shifting. I always used OEM fluid in the tranny because there was almost no cost difference between the speced fluid and the Castrol.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
There is a reason for Honda automatics to shift very firmly, it reduces wear. They are designed that way. If you are having smoother shifting with other fluids, you are increasing wear.

Both of our transmissions actually shift significantly smoother on Honda fluid. Castrol and Valvoline fluids increase the shift firmness. The Castrol is okay; the Valvoline is too firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back