Duralast Platinum made by Odyssey

Was looking for a new Group 48/H6 after my 2nd Die Hard JCI AGM bit the dust. Didn't want to buy another JCI AGM that everyone is selling with a different sticker on it. Walked into Autozone to check out the Odyssey and found this, an Odyssey in a black case that says Duralast Platinum for $60 less. They only had 2 of them in stock, in a stack of 7-8 H6's on the rack. Date code of Jan 21.
duralast odyssey.jpeg

It has the same case design as a Odyssey Performance battery, but are the specs the same?

Enersys manufactures Odyssey and Northstar. They also manufacture the X2Power AGM for Batteries Plus, and it is a rebadged Northstar.

How did you confirm that this is an Odyssey?
It's the same exact thing as this, but it has a black case. 720cca with a 130 reserve.

Was looking for a new Group 48/H6 after my 2nd Die Hard JCI AGM bit the dust. Didn't want to buy another JCI AGM that everyone is selling with a different sticker on it. Walked into Autozone to check out the Odyssey and found this, an Odyssey in a black case that says Duralast Platinum for $60 less. They only had 2 of them in stock, in a stack of 7-8 H6's on the rack. Date code of Jan 21.

Nice! What is the COO? Was it only this size, or were others like H8/49 also Odyssey?

Working great so far, that 1250 pulse hot cranking amps really winds that starter up! They are $199 like the rest of the Platinum lineup and it's easy to get a $10 off coupon if you just add one to the cart overnight so they send you an email coupon. I only saw 2 on the shelf in the in the H6/48 size, and there were about 6 H6's of the older style behind them. I'm guessing these are the very newest ones to hit the shelves since they have a January 2021 code on them and if you read the reviews on Autozone you see guys from the past few weeks bitching that they didn't get the 750 CCA amp version... they don't even know they got the Odyssey version instead. Hopefully they will be producing more in all sizes like the old Die Hard Platinums did years ago.

If plug-in AC chargers need a different setting for AGM, how does the alternator properly charge an AGM battery in the vehicle when you replace a flooded lead acid battery with an AGM?
I've seen people refer to this but don't think it's entirely accurate... Ford Fusions come with conventional batteries for most models but come with AGM batteries in the ones with start/stop engines. Same alternator in either car though. Some chargers have settings for different types of batteries but that's probably just for 100% optimization and not necessary all the time.

If plug-in AC chargers need a different setting for AGM, how does the alternator properly charge an AGM battery in the vehicle when you replace a flooded lead acid battery with an AGM?
My BMW 135i I re-coded for AGM.

I got long/great life, daily driving and long tripping the AGMs I put in my BMW 318i and Saab 9-3. The BMW especially was a perpetual undercharge. It has a 14V regulator (actually upgraded to a 14.1V) and it more or less always was in the 13s. The battery (group 49) never seemed worse for wear starting that engine over the time (8 or so years?) I had it in there.

I've been running a pure lead AGM Northstar in my 08 Jeep for several years now. No issue and it is always in an excellent state of charge. Seems to have no trouble. I don't know much about batteries or electrical systems, but that old Jeep did have the optional larger alternator, so maybe that works well with the AGM?

Back