Dumped the Mobil 1 already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
All these different custom specs are getting ridiculous. Youve got to have it bad to dump one of the best oils in the world because of this stupid spec.

Do people have any capability to think for themselves anymore?

Why didn't you come here and ask first?

Coming here and asking first wouldn't help in the least. Answers to questions on this forum are as clear mud.

I agree 100% on the thinking for yourself aspect. It is a bad joke really.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Those are the parts of your engine ruined by running M1 for 378 miles..

What car is M1 not suitable for?

Anything with the Jeep 4.0. Everything else afaik does fine with M1.
grin.gif

Funny, I've seen a 4.0 cherokee happily putting onward past 300k using M1. Or is my sense of hu asleep?

They have elevated iron numbers from M1.

I'm not sure it will affect the longevity of the engine, though. I'd run it in mine, but the engine has a knock - I believe a broken piston - so I am not spending a lot of money on something that has to get thrown out when it finally decides it is done.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Those are the parts of your engine ruined by running M1 for 378 miles..

What car is M1 not suitable for?

Anything with the Jeep 4.0. Everything else afaik does fine with M1.
grin.gif

Funny, I've seen a 4.0 cherokee happily putting onward past 300k using M1. Or is my sense of hummer asleep?

More ridiculousness being spread by dumb people.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: stchman

If Mobil conventional oils meet MS-6395, then it is a safe bet than the superior Mobil 1 meets MS-6395. You simply wasted ~$40 on oil and filter.

This.

+2

Originally Posted By: stchman
If Mobil conventional oils meet MS-6395, then it is a safe bet that the superior Mobil 1 meets MS-6395.

That's not how a car manufacturer looks at this. If they require an oil meeting a certain spec, and the given oil does not explicitly state it, then this gives them a way out and potentially deny warranty claim should an engine lubrication issue arise.

Granted, the manufacturer would have to prove first that the oil caused the issue. But while they're taking their sweet time to work on this "proving", the owner of the car is stuck without a vehicle, waiting for things to get resolved, and I'm not sure they'd be willing to pay for a rental for him in the meantime. So it's just a hassle.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
All these different custom specs are getting ridiculous. You've got to have it bad to dump one of the best oils in the world because of this stupid spec.

Looks like most car manufactures but Japanese have their own oil specs. Some manufactures have several specs for gasoline engines and another for diesel engines.

I think probably only Honda has an oil spec HT06 for turbo engine and no custom spec for high performance high rev engines like 2L engine in S2000 and other engines in Civic Si, Integra GSR ...

If Honda can design an engine that can rev to 9,000 RPM using a current at the time API spec dino 10W30, why custom oil spec for engine run out of steam at 5-6k RPM ?

Last edited:
Hey its your money don't let these guys tell you what to do with it. If we're me I dump this in 500 to make sure no more glitter.

Originally Posted By: traversed
as you can see by the # of posts i have that i rarely reply to anything.however, this has to be one of the dumbest moves i've seen on here. op,can you think on your own, or does someone need to hold your hand when you need to pee.geesh....

You ignorant jerks can all kiss my [censored]. I don't know who you think you are with the ignorant comments you make but you can kiss my [censored]. Who do you think you are? You think you are better than someone else because you spend a lot of time talking about motor oil on a forum and someone does something you don't agree with and you feel you have the right to talk down to them. A lot of you are losers.

Originally Posted By: Rojack
Originally Posted By: traversed
as you can see by the # of posts i have that i rarely reply to anything.however, this has to be one of the dumbest moves i've seen on here. op,can you think on your own, or does someone need to hold your hand when you need to pee.geesh....

You ignorant jerks can all kiss my [censored]. I don't know who you think you are with the ignorant comments you make but you can kiss my [censored]. Who do you think you are? You think you are better than someone else because you spend a lot of time talking about motor oil on a forum and someone does something you don't agree with and you feel you have the right to talk down to them. A lot of you are losers.

The point is, you should have asked before dumping it. What vehicle is this? Does it say REQUIRED in the manual or just recommended?

Originally Posted By: Justin251
LOL. Guess I need to dump too!
I would say so !!! !!!! !!!

Houston, we have a meltdown...

Yeah, I'd never listen to an ignorant __ like:

"Re: chrysler oil spec ms-6395"

I wasn't looking for this, I am comfortable Mobil 1 would at least meet the spec for Chrysler but if you go down to the bottom of the first page and look at Mobil 1 5w20 and read product description it includes Chrysler in there even though it isn't listed as meeting MS 6395. It is dated 9/14.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

or

My owners manual says recommended oil and goes on to say 5w20 and MS 6395 so it doesn't say mandatory. It also recommends the Mopar oil filter but you don't have to use that so in the end as long as you are using an oil that conforms to other specs minus the MS 6395 I think you should be alright. Then again they could try to play games for warranty claims.

wink.gif

troll successful

I'm not sure what is actually in MS6395.
If its anything like the crazy spec-madness that Chrysler has done with their SRT spec oil, Chrysler MS12633 (SRT) (SAE 0W-40), its probably not anything to be concerned about at all. For example, as best as I can tell, MS12633 was merely some kind of a taxi fleet test. Weird, I know, to apply that to the high performance SRT engines and then Pennzoil's 0w-40 is technically JUST SN + MS12633.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back