Dumped the Mobil 1 already

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dumped the Mobil 1 and Napa Gold after 378 miles and replaced it with PP 5w20 and a Fram Ultra. Before I bought the Mobil 1 I went on their site and saw the Super and Super Synthetic met MS 6395 so I guess I just assumed the Mobil 1 did too. I never do that, I usually am very thorough. I must be slipping. I don't like to leave anything to chance because of past experience so I changed it for peace of mind.

A question I have is that it was very sunny out when I changed the oil and the bottom of the oil drain pan was covered with tiny little gold sparkly things. What are they?

Originally Posted By: Rojack
the bottom of the oil drain pan was covered with tiny little gold sparkly things. What are they?

That's your engine crying for MS 6395.
smile.gif

How did it run? Sound like a monumentous waste of time and money for NOTHING. Then silliness here making you paranoid?
Don't worry about Domestic specs they should be mostly encompassed by ILSAC. Now euro LL and VAG is another thing ...

A question I have is that it was very sunny out when I changed the oil and the bottom of the oil drain pan was covered with tiny little gold sparkly things. What are they?

normal finding in used oils. the thing is few people stare at them in full sunshine.

I dumped the Mobil 1 and Napa Gold after 378 miles and replaced it with PP 5w20 and a Fram Ultra. Before I bought the Mobil 1 I went on their site and saw the Super and Super Synthetic met MS 6395 so I guess I just assumed the Mobil 1 did too. I never do that, I usually am very thorough. I must be slipping. I don't like to leave anything to chance because of past experience so I changed it for peace of mind.

As far as the little gold sparkly things on your oil pan, I have no idea.

What is the car you did this to?

If Mobil conventional oils meet MS-6395, then it is a safe bet that the superior Mobil 1 meets MS-6395. It is absurd to think that Mobil 1 must go through this two year certification and other oils don't? You simply wasted ~$40 on oil and filter.

Originally Posted By: stchman

If Mobil conventional oils meet MS-6395, then it is a safe bet than the superior Mobil 1 meets MS-6395. You simply wasted ~$40 on oil and filter.

This.

You should have asked the question before you dumped it. Unfortunately, a waste of time, money and resources.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Those are the parts of your engine ruined by running M1 for 378 miles..

What car is M1 not suitable for?

Anything with the Jeep 4.0. Everything else afaik does fine with M1.
grin.gif

Last edited:
All these different custom specs are getting ridiculous. Youve got to have it bad to dump one of the best oils in the world because of this stupid spec.

Do people have any capability to think for themselves anymore?

Why didn't you come here and ask first?

I would love to see the service department that denies a warranty claim because the customer used Mobil 1. It's never going to happen.

Its your engine crying you dumped m1 which vastly exceeded that Chrysler spec for another oil

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Those are the parts of your engine ruined by running M1 for 378 miles..

What car is M1 not suitable for?

Anything with the Jeep 4.0. Everything else afaik does fine with M1.
grin.gif

Funny, I've seen a 4.0 cherokee happily putting onward past 300k using M1. Or is my sense of hummer asleep?

as you can see by the # of posts i have that i rarely reply to anything.however, this has to be one of the dumbest moves i've seen on here. op,can you think on your own, or does someone need to hold your hand when you need to pee.geesh....

I wonder if the gold sparkles were just tiny air bubbles throughout the oil from the drain and pour? Oil in the sunlight will have a sparkly/glimmering sheen to it,the bubbles acting like prisms appearing to be colorful flecks of metal. I bet if you'd saved the drained oil,what appeared to be gold specs would've disappeared.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I'm just glad you didn't drive the car into a lake and bought a new one...

Judging by the "sparkly things", he might just have to do that next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back