Duck Dynasty..What's All The Fuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Originally Posted By: LazyPrizm
Don't even know why people watch these reality shows. Dealing with morons and drama is bad enough IRL, why you'd fill your spare time with it is beyond me.

Normally I would agree with you, but on this subject I can't. Duck Dynasty is far from dealing with morons and drama. They are good, polite christian people who like to have a good time. Nothing wrong with having a GOOD show on nowadays

If there were more people like the Robertson's in the US, we would not be in the sad state of affairs we are today. There's a reason our Forefathers were grounded in God.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
...The fact that a person can't say what they want without people getting offended is just sad.

This is too simplistic. The guy made what a lot of people consider to be disparaging remarks about gays and undeniably stunningly ignorant comment about the plights of blacks in the old south. He's entitled to say whatever he wants but he's not entitled to have no one take offense.

To take it a step further, are there any subjects upon which he could opine that would have you rethink this statement? How about venturing into holocaust denial, 9-11 trutherism, etc?

jeff

^^^Jeff,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. When you are a public figure, no matter how, you simply have to be aware there could be 'push back' against ANYTHING you say. It may be safe to say he experienced the result!

I also support A&E as they have a right to defend themselves as well against the speech of anyone they employ.

What I hate is the way the actual remarks have been perverted by the extremists to assist in their agenda...

I've seen a few minutes, and it's not my cup of tea. I'm not into reality shows. While I wish I was entertained by how others live their lives (as opposed to being entertained by made up stories about things that couldn't possibly happen) reality shows seem more fake than a typical Hollywood blockbuster.

I will say I have to respect anyone who figures out a way to make money without it somehow hurting others. If these guys are as smart as they are made out to be, then they are banking the proceeds and planning a pleasant life after their show gets canceled. Heck, if I could put on a song and dance for a year or two, and make good money at it, I might well be willing to do likewise.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I'm not going to play your game or anybody else's. I expressed my opinion on a message board. You obviously have your view....and all I can ask is that you grant me mine.

I don't know what "my game" is; but how on earth would or could someone on a message board grant or not grant you your opinion? I am sorry to report this to you, but no one is trying to force to you to accept or believe anything.

I have ZERO need to clarify, justify, or explain to anyone why I have my opinion. But I will say that it has nothing to do with my religious views. You see....I am an Atheist.

You will only ever have to clarify if you want anyone else to understand what in the world you are talking about.

Is someone attempting to force you to think or accept or believe something? Is your right to have an opinion, however cryptic, being impeded by someone? Have you, at any point, actually stated an opinion about something that you have become defensive about justifying to... someone... who... is... attempting to stop you? I am confused.

In summary: Your opinions are welcome and are your absolute right to have and to express. And no one, especially of the anonymous variety on a silly web page, can deny you that right. Equating "disagreeing" or "questioning" (on an internet message board?!) with "challenging your rights" is a little FauxNews-ish, though; and is unbecoming.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Don't even know why people watch these reality shows. Dealing with morons and drama is bad enough IRL, why you'd fill your spare time with it is beyond me.

Normally I would agree with you, but on this subject I can't. Duck Dynasty is far from dealing with morons and drama. They are good, polite christian people who like to have a good time. Nothing wrong with having a GOOD show on nowadays

If there were more people like the Robertson's in the US, we would not be in the sad state of affairs we are today. There's a reason our Forefathers were grounded in God.

There is also a reason why they wanted separation of church and state.

Go ahead and turn to your god and the writings of a book for direction in your life and how to treat and judge others. You do realize that there are many other religions out there PRE-DATE christianity and aren't near as hateful and judgmental, right? That is to say that yours (I presume it is) is not the only one out there. I wish all these 'mericans would realize that.

As for me? I follow none. I don't need guidance to set my moral compass. I judge people by the way they function in society- are they productive? Do they contribute? Do they care? How do they treat others?

A good example would be my part time neighbors. They're gay. They've been together for about as long as I've been alive (35+ years)- they love and respect each other. They are active and productive members of society, they own multiple business, vote and pay their taxes. When their vacation home burnt down, THEY rebuilt it. Some of the heavy framing and plumbing was farmed out, but they did the majority of it. When they're there, they treat us with kindness and respect. We look out for them and their property when they are not there and they allow us the use of of their land. As I see it, THAT is the way it should be. Friends, neighbors looking out for each other however they can, not looking down their noses because one lives different than the next.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Slick17601

There is also a reason why they wanted separation of church and state.

Go ahead and turn to your god and the writings of a book for direction in your life and how to treat and judge others. You do realize that there are many other religions out there PRE-DATE christianity and aren't near as hateful and judgmental, right? That is to say that yours (I presume it is) is not the only one out there. I wish all these 'mericans would realize that.

As for me? I follow none. I don't need guidance to set my moral compass. I judge people by the way they function in society- are they productive? Do they contribute? Do they care? How do they treat others?

A good example would be my part time neighbors. They're gay. They've been together for about as long as I've been alive (35+ years)- they love and respect each other. They are active and productive members of society, they own multiple business, vote and pay their taxes. When their vacation home burnt down, THEY rebuilt it. Some of the heavy framing and plumbing was farmed out, but they did the majority of it. When they're there, they treat us with kindness and respect. We look out for them and their property when they are not there and they allow us the use of of their land. As I see it, THAT is the way it should be. Friends, neighbors looking out for each other however they can, not looking down their noses because one lives different than the next.

Nowhere in our Constitution does it say anything about a separation of church & state.

http://www.lc.org/resources/myth_of_separation_church_state.html

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I'm not going to play your game or anybody else's. I expressed my opinion on a message board. You obviously have your view....and all I can ask is that you grant me mine.

I don't know what "my game" is; but how on earth would or could someone on a message board grant or not grant you your opinion? I am sorry to report this to you, but no one is trying to force to you to accept or believe anything.

By 'granting' me my opinion...surely you must have understood that I meant it in a gratuitous fashion.
As for my comments on a forced agenda? Lol...I could easily provide lists and examples of such actions. But since you, and others that are intertwined within this agenda, won't honestly discuss the topic...I won't waste my time or promote any further the breaking of the posting rules on this website.

Originally Posted By: jcwit

Nowhere in our Constitution does it say anything about a separation of church & state.

http://www.lc.org/resources/myth_of_separation_church_state.html
[/quote]

Your statement represents a very unsophisticated approach to the constitution. Additionally, given that the author of the writing you linked to is a lawyer with an MA in religion, I am not surprised by his representation of the both American history and the constitution.

It does not matter if that phrase is not in the constitution.
It does not matter what Thomas Jefferson (or any other 18th Century person) may have thought.
William Rehnquist's individual opinion of the phrase does not matter.

What matters, in practical application, is the language of majority decisions by the court.

The meaning of the constitution is defined by court decisions, and the phrase "separation of church and state," is part of several decisions regarding what the constitution does say in amendment 1 regarding religion - "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." While the phrase in question is not part of the constitution, it is correct to reference this phrase when discussing/debating issues that regard perceived government "establishment" of religion.

I get weary with the idea that the constitution is dogmatic. It isn't...consider going from Plessy v Ferguson, (1896) to Brown vs Board of Education, Topeka KS (1954) as an example.

Last edited:
I realized several years ago that the granting of equal protections and rights for gays was inevitable. I have only been surprised by how quickly it's come about, it's essentially a done deal at this point. Those who are use a religious justification for opposing it are within their rights but will look awfully silly in retrospect (as do those who opposed other civil rights advancements in the past) especially when the Catholic church officially comes around, which is also inevitable.

jeff

Originally Posted By: supton
I've seen a few minutes, and it's not my cup of tea. I'm not into reality shows. While I wish I was entertained by how others live their lives (as opposed to being entertained by made up stories about things that couldn't possibly happen) reality shows seem more fake than a typical Hollywood blockbuster.

I will say I have to respect anyone who figures out a way to make money without it somehow hurting others. If these guys are as smart as they are made out to be, then they are banking the proceeds and planning a pleasant life after their show gets canceled. Heck, if I could put on a song and dance for a year or two, and make good money at it, I might well be willing to do likewise.

They were millionaires long before DD.

Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
Too much bashing of people, religious & otherwise, on this blog. Should be stopped & locked.

Lately, they've been allowing a lot more talk about religion and politics. Honestly, I'm surprised it made to page 2.

Originally Posted By: whip
Too much bashing of people, religious & otherwise, on this blog. Should be stopped & locked.

Lately, they've been allowing a lot more talk about religion and politics. Honestly, I'm surprised it made to page 2.

There was at least one post that got nixed in this thread, but you're right, mods, admins and Helen have been more lenient.

Originally Posted By: whip

Still Hung-over
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

There was at least one post that got nixed in this thread, but you're right, mods, admins and Helen have been more lenient.

That was probably mine. I didn't post with the desire to attack or insult differing viewpoints, there was another poster that asked a question and I simply answered it the most polite, civil, and reasonable way I could. It's a shame that mature adults can't be trusted to post candid honest, and civil replies to such questions, but I respect the mods for being considerate enough to simply delete what they didn't like and allow me to continue to post elsewhere. I'd like to thank them, and wish them a
Happy New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back