Do relatives ever show up and really surprise you?

My wife got a text from her younger cousin asking if we want to get together. We do. Find out he's now an assistant general manager of a NHL hockey team. What?!! I happen to know people in that position on the Canucks and Sharks, and it's not a joke position at all. People get paid a lot to do something that's super fun, that's crazy. I'm thinking that in the big picture, there have to all kinds of relative stories out there. What are some of yours?

:ROFLMAO:

Got together with people who recently moved to the area. Never met them in my life. After a few hours of chatting unraveled a few strings and apparently we're distant cousins. 4th cousins, somehow happened to be in same town on a different continent. That was quite a surprise.

Dan Dotson the auctioneer from Storage Wars is a very distant family member of mine, have met him a few times at family functions and the stories he can tell are just fascinating.

Surprise me? You mean like filing up every darn 33 gallon trash can in the garage with craft beer cans, boxes, bottles, take-out food containers, Startbucks cups, bags, etc.? and taking the garbage to the big, black, 95 gallon rolling trash can?

Nope, they never show up and surprise me with that. They just fill up countless giant garbage cans with cans, bottles, cardboard boxes and tell me that I should get battery-powered outdoor power equipment and an EV....

I have a distant cousin that was a major pothead as a teenager, dropped out of high school, and was arrested a few times for petty theft and other misdemeanors. For several years after high school, I didn't hear much of him other than he was bumming places to stay and still putting weed above everything else. I found out recently (10+ years later) that at some point, he decided to try to make pot brownies. He incidentally discovered a passion for baking. The guy went to culinary school, made some good connections, and is now a pastry chef at a upscale establishment in New Orleans.

Surprise me? You mean like filing up every darn 33 gallon trash can in the garage with craft beer cans, boxes, bottles, take-out food containers, Startbucks cups, bags, etc.? and taking the garbage to the big, black, 95 gallon rolling trash can?

Nope, they never show up and surprise me with that. They just fill up countless giant garbage cans with cans, bottles, cardboard boxes and tell me that I should get battery-powered outdoor power equipment and an EV....
It’s funny how the people preaching EV’s and such also use the most styrofoam takeout containers and produce the most trash.

My wife got a text from her younger cousin asking if we want to get together. We do. Find out he's now an assistant general manager of a NHL hockey team. What?!! I happen to know people in that position on the Canucks and Sharks, and it's not a joke position at all. People get paid a lot to do something that's super fun, that's crazy. I'm thinking that in the big picture, there have to all kinds of relative stories out there. What are some of yours?

:ROFLMAO:

A few years ago, my niece worked as an accountant for the Chicago Cubs... not only did she supply her Dad with tickets to the World Series when the Cubbies played the Indians or whatever they are called now but my niece has a World Series ring of her own.

She currently works for the Detroit Tigers.

Like show up and "Can we live here?" surprise?

No.
I figured it was one of those "unannounced visitor" kind of situations.

We have an aunt that used to show up totally unannounced, expecting to stay for 2-3 or more days. Totally uncalled for considering she lived hundreds of miles away and could've easily called beforehand. She was totally the opposite of her sister (my mom) who would have died of embarassment if she had done anything remotely similar.

It’s funny how the people preaching EV’s and such also use the most styrofoam takeout containers and produce the most trash.

Yep, that was my point. Most all of these folks drink every single drop of liquid each day out of a container that is thrown away or "recycled" (glass is NOT recycled in the US.... ), they eat most every single meal and throw away a clear/paper/etc wrapper, many times a paper box, etc. I've also seen them advocate for paper product companies to stop putting the cardboard toll in TP and paper towels :rolleyes:

My wife and I can go 3 weeks most of the time if we aren't "cleaning out a room or the garage" with our 95 gallon trash can. Many times, we are taking the kitchen trash out because of odor, not because the bag is full. Bring in some relatives and that kitchen trash has to be emptied every 8 hours. And you can barely get the bag out....

Back