dual element paper filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My MB OM616 turbo engine uses a single element cylindrical paper air filter, recently the shop I buy my filter from offered me a dual element air filter with an extra inner core which slips into the outer core. I installed it as I am concerned about severe dust here in the summers to get the extra layer of protection.

Anyone familiar with this type of filters, they are also used in earth moving machines.

[ July 22, 2005, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Gurkha ]

I have seen alot of dual elements in tractors and semi trucks .I would run them. They are called safety elements.

Many thanks for your fast response Steve S., wonder why they are not standard in 4WD when most of them get operated in super dusty environments.

My Kubota tractor uses one. The inner element is a backup, incase the outer element fails. The increased cost is probably why they are not standard equipment on more vehicles.

I would say it should be de rigeur in off road vehicles where dust is the biggest killer.

It's become common on tractors due to the expensive engine repairs caused by dust ingested through faulty filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back