Driving With The The Low Fuel Light On......

I figure with the record gas prices some folks may be struggling to fill their tanks. I have a 2005 Corolla with 90,000 miles. Chicago gas prices have hit over $5 a gallon. I'm curious just how damaging this is to the fuel pump? I imagine running out of gas repeatedly could be damaging? Thanks

I never let it go below ¼ tank. Lately I haven't been letting it get much below ½ when possible. I've had a lot of unplanned drives lately. It's more about being prepared than anything else.

I'm also of the mind that if you keep your tank closer to full, you'll spend the same amount of money but be less stressed if things get tight all of a sudden.

I do think that running close to E increases fuel temp and the potential for damaging cavitation.

Prices may be high but if you think they may go higher it is cheaper to keep it filled. Leaving it low make you susceptible to any price increase as well as not having a choice of where to get fuel. If your near the most expensive station in the state when it starts to sputter you cant go past it hoping there will be a cheaper one on the next block.

I never let it go below ¼ tank. Lately I haven't been letting it get much below ½ when possible. I've had a lot of unplanned drives lately. It's more about being prepared than anything else.

I'm also of the mind that if you keep your tank closer to full, you'll spend the same amount of money but be less stressed if things get tight all of a sudden.

I do think that running close to E increases fuel temp and the potential for damaging cavitation.
I've always tried to keep the tank 1/2 full at least, especially in the winter to help reduce uncovered tank area where condensation would form. Also to be better prepared if the unexpected happens especially with the amount of snow we've been getting.

Another thing worth noting is that low fuel light is calibrated differently on different vehicles. On my Durango when the light comes on I have exactly 5 gallons left. In my Dodge Dart when it comes on I have approximately 1.5 gallons left.

I have no concern taking it down to E. When you drive a gas guzzler like me, you have to fill the tank more often. I hate going and getting gas.

Our 4 car's below half tank swing over to Costco gas to fill,maybe old habit especially winter months, My nephew years ago fuel pump issue on his 91 Corolla he always run it to empty one day no go,cost him time and couple hundred dollars per mechanic?

Every time I get in my daughter's car the low fuel light is on with no segments showing on the gauge meaning that there is maybe 1.5 gallons left but I don't know how long the light has been on. Sometimes I will get the gas can out for the mower and add a gallon to the tank to make that 1 mile drive to the gas station. Other times I'll take my chances. It can get stressful especially if the 2 stoplights on my route are red. Haven't run out of gas yet......fingers crossed.

Its reasons like this, why I started gassing up when tank is 1/3 to 1/4 full. I used to drive out into the middle of nowhere, an army base, to work and I just got tired of staring at the fuel gauge needle hoping I would make it. So now I don't have to worry. From what I've been able to see, my toyotas have about 1.5 gallons of fuel when the fuel light comes on, maybe more. But I only see that light about once a year or so. Other than that, its when the tank is 1/3 to 1/4 full.

Every time I get in my daughter's car the low fuel light is on with no segments showing on the gauge meaning that there is maybe 1.5 gallons left but I don't know how long the light has been on. Sometimes I will get the gas can out for the mower and add a gallon to the tank to make that 1 mile drive to the gas station. Other times I'll take my chances. It can get stressful especially if the 2 stoplights on my route are red. Haven't run out of gas yet......fingers crossed.

I always fill up as close to E as possible. I don’t like spending time at the gas pump. I don’t think the pump cares either way if the tank is low or full.

The fuel pump neither knows nor cares if the tank is full or nearly empty - all it needs is to have some fuel. The tank and pickups are designed to ensure that the pump is wet all the time, only causing a possible problem if you actually run out of fuel. If you always fill up at 1/4 or 1/2 a tank not only are you filling more frequently (your choice) but also constantly carrying 5, 6, 7 gallons of fuel around with you that you are never going to use. I get the emergency cover thing, and when there's a run on fuel this seems prudent, but under normal conditions I see no reason not to use all the fuel you have paid for and carried around with you - or as much as is possible. I'll happily run to the fuel light on all my vehicles, knowing that even when the gauge says 'E' and the range says 0 there's contingency fuel left. I once drove around 30 miles after the range went first to "0" and then to "-" and still no signs of fuel starvation.

There is one train of thought that says that running low means you may pick up more of the sediment and water that can sit at the bottom, but also that frequently running to empty reduces the chances of building up a sediment or water.

Back