Driven DI40 vs. Amsoil Signature 0w-40 vs. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
The M1 already shears. Better ?
By how much? In my M5, which has a massive timing chain, dual VANOS and in general, would be setup to be extremely hard on oil, viscosity loss was dominated by fuel. I know this because the oil was analyzed by a lab that uses GC, which most people on here don't use.

All 0w-40's will contain some amount of VII polymer, likely a similar amount, which means that they will all be vulnerable to some viscosity loss through shear. Mobil has access to the best components in the world, now, whether they choose to USE those components, that's certainly worth debating, as we know they use much more GTL in M1 FS 0w-40 than PAO, but they would be using very shear stable VII's, as they have to in order to pass the Mercedes certs, and I'm sure others.

By how much? In my M5, which has a massive timing chain, dual VANOS and in general, would be setup to be extremely hard on oil, viscosity loss was dominated by fuel. I know this because the oil was analyzed by a lab that uses GC, which most people on here don't use.

All 0w-40's will contain some amount of VII polymer, likely a similar amount, which means that they will all be vulnerable to some viscosity loss through shear. Mobil has access to the best components in the world, now, whether they choose to USE those components, that's certainly worth debating, as we know they use much more GTL in M1 FS 0w-40 than PAO, but they would be using very shear stable VII's, as they have to in order to pass the Mercedes certs, and I'm sure others.
With your M5, cost/benefit would be a factor IMV. Frequency of OCI.
However, I personally would not hesitate to use a very robust, very stable oil, albeit very expensive, if I were lucky enough to drive an M5.
Gotta open 'er up from time to time. WOT !

The M1 already shears. Better ?
Even if true we really don’t know how the HPL product acts do we? Isn’t mechanical shear highly dependent upon the application?

The Mobil 1 product must pass standardized tests for stay-in-grade as part of the approvals, do we have results if these tests for HPL?

Also are we comparing the same grades here?

With your M5, cost/benefit would be a factor IMV. Frequency of OCI.
However, I personally would not hesitate to use a very robust, very stable oil, albeit very expensive, if I were lucky enough to drive an M5.
Gotta open 'er up from time to time. WOT !

My point is, while we don't know how the two products compare, based on my own testing, M1 0w-40 didn't shear very much, it was fuel dilution that drove down viscosity. Back when I was using it, it was LL-01, so it also carried the appropriate approval for the application.

I figured, if it was good enough for the 24hr cars, it was good enough for my daily driver, regardless of how I drove it (and it did get opened up). As HPL has indicated, M1 0w-40 is a very good oil.

Even if true we really don’t know how the HPL product acts do we? Isn’t mechanical shear highly dependent upon the application?

The Mobil 1 product must pass standardized tests for stay-in-grade as part of the approvals, do we have results if these tests for HPL?

In my case, it has been totally different circumstances.
But, I must say, after over 100k miles of usage, involving two distinctly different product lines and grades, my confidence in HPL is only growing.

Re your other points, it would be the same grade, minus standardized testing.

I am going by the old adage that M1 0W40 shears to a thick 30. This poster will promise to more scrupulously scrutinize when we are talking about the current FS.

I do know. They are both good. They both shear at a similar rate. We build slightly heavier and shear at a similar rate which means we actually will very likely stay in grade longer. However since they are both good I don’t see shear being a problem with either. Going back to the original question the FS 0w40 is the one I would choose of the 3 the OP asked about.

David

I do know. They are both good. They both shear at a similar rate. We build slightly heavier and shear at a similar rate which means we actually will very likely stay in grade longer. However since they are both good I don’t see shear being a problem with either. Going back to the original question the FS 0w40 is the one I would choose of the 3 the OP asked about.

David
Thanks for the reply. I doubted that ExxonMobil was using inferior VII in one of their flagship products, as neither would you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back