Driven DI40 vs. Amsoil Signature 0w-40 vs. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any insight into which one of these oils is the best to use? Driven doesn't really publish much data on their oils which makes me hesitant. Car is a 2019 Camaro SS, heads, cam, the whole 9 yards. Originally when the car was stock I was using the GM recommended Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Formula. It was my understanding that the ESP formula is just for emissions protection and we're long past that point.

I'd love if I could use the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 and go back to the days of $55 oil changes vs. paying $100 for oil alone, but if it's worse than the Driven/Amsoil I'll have to go with one of them.

High Performance Lubricants Premium Plus 0W-40 is a stout oil to throw in that mix as well. Given the upgrades, I'd want to ensure good shear stability which would make me want to lean toward the boutique options. No doubt that M1 FS 0W-40 is a decent oil, but it shears to a 30 rather quickly.

Suggesting another option makes me a shill? You threw in an option not in the OP as well so I guess that makes you a shill also.
playing into the FUD about M1 0W40 shearing to promote $15/L oil. i know you love your hpl

OP wants cheaper oil changes and asked about driven di40. driven oil is very cheap and cost effective

playing into FUD about M1 0W40 shearing to promote expensive oil. i know you love your hpl

OP asked about driven di40. driven oil is very cheap and cost effective

I never said anything about cost. I said I'd go with a boutique option which Driven is a boutique option. Given his upgrades means more power and likely indicates he likes to use that power, I'd give high importance to shear stability.

Amsoil SS and Driven DI40 have HTHS ratings of 3.76 cP and 3.9 cP respectively compared to M1 FS at just 3.5 cP. I simply threw in another option which has a 4.0 cP HTHS.

Also, the person who formulated and did the R&D for DI40 is a friend of mine. I know that oil well and am in no way bashing it.

Last edited:
Any insight into which one of these oils is the best to use? Driven doesn't really publish much data on their oils which makes me hesitant. Car is a 2019 Camaro SS, heads, cam, the whole 9 yards. Originally when the car was stock I was using the GM recommended Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Formula. It was my understanding that the ESP formula is just for emissions protection and we're long past that point.
Post some pics of this beast.

Oh and explain how you came to the understanding about ESP?

shill alert 🚨‼️
As this is indirectly pointed to us it would be helpful for you to have a couple of facts. First and foremost Bryce has bought and paid for his oil from us since we met a few years ago. We do not pay people to promote our oil, we do not pay for people to use our oil. As it has been said many times before we have 6 figure real estate on Erica Enders hood based on the durability we delivered to that team. If we don't pay Erica to endorse us why would we pay Bryce to endorse us? Just saying.

I have heard from the other car website that if you pour the oil in to the engine using your left hand and no funnel the engine will last twice as long.

As this is indirectly pointed to us it would be helpful for you to have a couple of facts. First and foremost Bryce has bought and paid for his oil from us since we met a few years ago. We do not pay people to promote our oil, we do not pay for people to use our oil. As it has been said many times before we have 6 figure real estate on Erica Enders hood based on the durability we delivered to that team. If we don't pay Erica to endorse us why would we pay Bryce to endorse us? Just saying.
i overreacted. OP was interested in reducing costs not spending 50% extra on oil changes

Thank you. I can assure you we try our best to do the right thing. I can say that for the OP in his position I would choose the FS 0w40. I have looked at it in our lab and it is pretty good.
At what point would it makes sense to move from the M1 to HPL? Vague question, I know, just curious what the thought process or checklist is in your opinion.

At what point would it makes sense to move from the M1 to HPL? Vague question, I know, just curious what the thought process or checklist is in your opinion.
First to be clear I did not look at the other 2 oils the OP mentioned and am not saying they are inferior. I have a vehicle that the Manual recommends FS 0W40. Before I change it out I figured since I have the resources I would scrutinize this oil before creating my own and putting it in my vehicle. After looking at the FS 0W40 it is clear to see that it is an excellent oil and for the price it is a pretty good value. That being said when completed the difference in theirs and ours is that we have a slightly lower wear rate and slightly lower COF. The biggest difference is in oxidation stability where there is a significant improvement in ours. The honest answer is where would you make that call? I would say if track days in high temperature for extended drains are a thing for you that would be the place. The reality becomes a question of do you ever reach the point of breaking the Oxidation stability of the FS 0W40? Likely not. Our supercar oil is something I will absolutely change to as I am the type of person that is comfortable in the overkill range. That being said this may sound like an endorsement for the Mobil product but I would be lying if I tried to say it wasn't a great oil at a good value.

David

Thanks, great answer, and an honest one. I am a big fan of M1 0W-40, mostly because it's cheap and easy to get ahold of, and seems to work. But sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't run something "better".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back