Drive Belts question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drive belts....which brand is better; Dayco or "Napa Spec" Gates belts. I'm looking to purchase a timing, PS, and AC/Alt belts for my girlfriend's 2000 Totoya Avalon. I actually have Gatorback belts on my car, but I've noticed that Autozone switched from Gatorbacks to Dayco (at least in my area).

Honestly the OEM timing belt from Toyota is only $20 bucks more so I think that I'm going to go OEM on the timing belt and either Dayco or Gates for the drive belts.

Let me know...

I do not know that you can go wrong either way...

IMO OE plus all the special parts for the timing belt is the right move.

Gatorbacks are my personal favorite. I noticed that Autozone quit carrying them. You can still order them online. My second favorite is Gates, and you can't go wrong with OEM. I'm not a fan of Dayco belts. I've had several start squeaking in less than a year.

I have always been partial to gates drive belts, but I have used Gatorbacks in the past, both with sucess. To be honest I have never used a Dayco belt, but have heard horror stories of them, if they are true I do not know.

I never used a Dayco belt, am sure they are fine though. I use Carquest belts on my truck and my girlfriend's Honda Accord and have had no trouble with either one. The CQ belts usually cost less than Napa and I believe they are both made by Gates.

I put a Dayco belt(from Pep Boys) on my 91 Celica about a year ago and with about 13k miles i haven't had any problems or noise.

So which ever belt cost less would get my vote.

I've had variable experience with Napa belts. I'd vote for either the Dayco or the Goodyear. I have a Gatorback on my Dakota and it's been good.

Depending on the quality of the OEM belt, I'd look there also. I did not like the quality of the OEM belt on my Toyota Corolla, so I put a Napa belt on it, and it worked fine. I thought the OEM belt on my Chrysler Town & Country was making noise, so I put a Napa belt on it and it squeaked like a squished mouse, so I put the OEM belt back on and got my money back on the Napa belt. If I ever do decide to put one on it, it'll be a Mopar belt probably.

Both Gates & Dayco offer two grades of belts so be careful when comparing different vendors. The premium grade is OEM quality while the value line isn't. At Napa, timing belts are only the OEM top level Gates but serp & v belts are offered in two grades.

Dave

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I do not know that you can go wrong either way...

IMO OE plus all the special parts for the timing belt is the right move.

I tend to agree. Go OEM for all the timing belt gear, and always get the kit which include the tensioner spring and pulley for piece of mind.

Originally Posted By: bmod305
The premium grade is OEM quality while the value line isn't. At Napa, timing belts are only the OEM top level Gates but serp & v belts are offered in two grades.

Dave

Napa timing belts actually are offered in two grades as well. I definitely wouldn't touch the value line, but the higher line is great. I have a (top grade) Napa/Gates timing belt on my Accord.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll go with the Napa Gates belts because I've never heard/read anything bad about them and they are cheaper than the Dayco belts. Dayco is fairly new to me. Napa isn't showing two Napa value lines of belts for her car, only one offered from Napa. Her car only has three belts total. Timing Belt that serves the WP, PS, and Alt/AC belts. Now they offer two vendor timing belts (Napa $31.50 and Altrom-which I never heard of for $36.50) I guess I just figured for an extra $20 bucks, she should be able to go another 95k on a OEM timing belt since the one that is in now has 95K on it. Just seems penny wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back