Dreadful 5W50

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
What about the full synthetic like M1 15w-50?

Or M1 FS X2 5W-50? It's Porsche A40 approved... Still junk?

Still junk? It obviously depends on your individual point of view but in my 'former' professional opinion, I'd argue yes, it's junk...

Okay, from the top...

This stuff is probably a derivative of the full synthetic 5W50 that ExxonMobil has detailed in a table posted on BITOG many times by Shannow (I'd repost it but I don't quite know how). The oil is based on PAO 6 & 8 plus 2% Ester.

It contains 11.6% Infineum VM. They don't say exactly what the VM is but it's probably Shellvis 200 which is a very low SSI Hydrogenated Diene-Styrene VII. Because of it's low SSI, the 5W50 can have a relatively low KV100 (17.1 cst) and still meet the 16.3 min Bosch shear 'stay-in-grade' requirements of ACEA.

However, there's a catch. All HDS VIIs are poor on HTHS which is why the 5W50 has a lowly 4.4 cP; not great for an oil that's pushing itself on wear performance. The other catch is that the low SSI makes the VM polymerically inefficient. As a consequence, if liquid Sv 200 contains about 14% neat polymer, this oil contains 11.6 x 0.14 or 1.62% of solid rubber. That is A LOT of rubber! Regardless of the fact that stuff meets ACEA B4, I wouldn't want to put this stuff in any diesel engine (I'm wondering to myself just how many times they had to run the VW Tdi test to get that B4 pass?).

And there's the other ways this stuff is OTT. It has 1000 ppm Phos, 12.6 TBN & 1.34% Ash. There's nothing wrong with this per se but this is a full PAO/Ester oil which will be inherently resistant to oxidation. What exactly is all that ZDDP & Detergent supposed to do with itself? You could run this oil for 10,000 miles and most of the additive would be virtually untouched!

And the Porsche approval? Meh! It's just one of those 'halo' claims that's supposed to influence people who 'want the best of everything' to part with great gobs of cash. Maybe if you own a Porsche, this is what you look for but does it actually mean anything technically? I'm sceptical.

Now don't get me wrong. There's nothing terrible bad about this oil except it's humongous price. If ever I wanted to drive from the Arctic Circle to the Sahara and back again while maintaining a steady 130 mph, this is the oil I might choose. However, for driving to Aldi, to pick up the weekly shop, this stuff is just plain silly...

Late edit: post-treatment with neat PIBSA to get AK6 compatibility??? Technically sound, borderline ethical or just plain naughty naughty?

Last edited:
Digging this thread as it kind of popped out to me with the new forum, to point toward a "semi-UOA" for the Selenia oil, in case some could be interested.
Moly is probably from previous fill.

And lead very probably from some fuel additive, as the car made another ~50K Km (most of it towing a small trailer) before being traded (was in full working order and passed inspection still) for 4600€ (couldn't believe it) against a new car. Got to get those old polluting diesels off the road! I'm just afraid they don't do them like they used to do.

Got me really, really scared that I'm using M1 15W-50 in a 700 bhp Supercharged Coyote on the track... Not!

Wonder how Valvoline VR1 20W-50 would do against those tests.

It doesn't have an extended drain add pack. But it does.have detergent. It's pretty popular among the classic muscle car and street rod set.
I was going with recommendation that it is race only. Though, compared to Mobil1 0W30 or Redline W30 Zinc is lower. I can see why it is popular among certain audience, and pretty affordable.

Back