drain bolt frozen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda drain plugs are notoriously famous for stripping if too much torque is applied. That, and the fact the aluminum crush washers needed for a good seal aren't available at most auto parts stores almost guarantees an eventual problem with the drain plugs.

If they couldn't get a good seal with the proper amount of torque, maybe they used RTV to try and get a seal. Or maybe they put too much torque on it, and stripped it, then tried threadlocker to keep it in place. Another thing to watch out for is an oversized drain plug put in by the shop if the original partially strips the hole (not a good long term solution).
I agree with the take it back folks above. If that isn't an option, be prepared to either repair the drain hole, or replace the pan. My neighbor paid $400 for a bad replacement job from Pep Boys for his Civic, so I like the repair idea better. Then again, there may be nothing wrong.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Honda drain plugs are notoriously famous for stripping if too much torque is applied. That, and the fact the aluminum crush washers needed for a good seal aren't available at most auto parts stores almost guarantees an eventual problem with the drain plugs.

If they couldn't get a good seal with the proper amount of torque, maybe they used RTV to try and get a seal. Or maybe they put too much torque on it, and stripped it, then tried threadlocker to keep it in place. Another thing to watch out for is an oversized drain plug put in by the shop if the original partially strips the hole (not a good long term solution).
I agree with the take it back folks above. If that isn't an option, be prepared to either repair the drain hole, or replace the pan. My neighbor paid $400 for a bad replacement job from Pep Boys for his Civic, so I like the repair idea better. Then again, there may be nothing wrong.

There was definitely a silver metal washer there. Hopefully it was aluminum and hopefully it will save the threads.

I asked my sis inlaw to keep me informed on what happens. As I value family above finances I will offer to pay half for the fix if worse comes to worse (even though I did nothing wrong).

I have NEVER had a drain bolt that didn't budge like that.

I'll keep you all informed as the story unfolds.

Last edited:
I'm always confused when I see threads like this.
1) Shouldn't the drain bolt thread strip before the pan threads strip?
2) Shouldn't the washer prevent the bolt from stripping?
3) 28-33 ft lbs, is pretty decent force with a standard 8" ratchet. You'd have to really crank on it with a ratchet or use a 15" breaker bar or something to strip threads right?

Last edited:
1) Not necessarily. Sometimes it is the threads in the pan that strip.
2)Washer has nothing to do with stripping
3)It is usually overtightened with an impact gun or a breaker bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back