Drain and Fill, Ford 4R100 - Mercon recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contemplating an ATF drain and fill on our 2001 Ford Expedition. Last drain and fill was done about 3 years/20k miles ago. Vehicle now has approximately 169k miles. No real problems with the way the vehicle is driving, just considering it for preventative maintenance. Dipstick is labeled "Mercon".

My question is use of fluid that is not strictly Motorcraft Mercon fluid. Based on what I've seen on-line, looks like it's difficult to find anything that is a "true" Mercon fluid short of a multi-purpose Dex/Merc type fluid such as Mobil's ATF D/M or Castrol's Transmax Dex/Merc.

What would you suggest?

Motorcraft Mercon V. That is the recommended fluid now, and with the updated formula (literally the only way to not get it is to find some in a basement) I have seen no issues whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Motorcraft Mercon V. That is the recommended fluid now, and with the updated formula (literally the only way to not get it is to find some in a basement) I have seen no issues whatsoever.

I found the whole Mercon circle jerk quite odd
"New Mercon V, back specs to Mercon"
"No wait, problems, there separate"
"Wait, now we've got it! Back spec for all, trash Mercon"

There's probably a dealer with a case of plain Mercon or the non back spec formula V sitting somewhere..... Waiting
whistle.gif

.... To ruin someone's day.

This despite owner's manual specifically warning against using Mercon V in a Mercon application?

Originally Posted By: DeadPossum
This despite owner's manual specifically warning against using Mercon V in a Mercon application?

Fluid and spec has been updated since '01
"Plain" certified Mercon V is availible off the shelf as Castrol Transmax Mercon V, Valvoline Mercon V, and in Ford bottles from a dealer parts counter.

I am a firm believer in Amsoil. When I bought my 98 Ford Taurus I waited till Amsoil got to the point of certifying their fluid for Mercon V apps.

Have 205K miles now and it shifts perfect. Went 80K miles on one drain. Went 0-85K miles on a rebuilt Dodge trans and that trans pan was perfectly clean like the Ford trans as well. I'm sold on it.

For the price Amsoil cost you need to run it out a a ways to make it cost effective. Not necessarily 80K miles, but more than 20K.

I've used Mercon V in my '99 F350 for a few years now, it operates fine.

If you want a high quality Mercon fluid, AMSOIL makes a product called Torque Drive.

Originally Posted By: DeadPossum
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Fluid and spec has been updated since '01
That is correct. In 2007 when Ford discontinued licensing plain Mercon, they revised the formula for Mercon V to make it backward-compatible.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

"Plain" certified Mercon V is availible off the shelf as Castrol Transmax Mercon V, Valvoline Mercon V, and in Ford bottles from a dealer parts counter.
Be careful using Valvoline. Their product is NOT licensed by Ford, so they are not legally allowed to use the "Mercon V" name. They call their product "ATF for Mercon V Applications".

To their credit, they do have a disclaimer on their web site stating this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back