Dr.Color Chip vs. Touch Up Direct

Hi all, OEM touch up paint is no longer available for my 2005 Highlander. It appears there are two aftermarket suppliers of touchup paint - Dr. ColorChip and Touch Up Direct. From a search it seems like several folks here have had decent success with Dr. Color Chip but has anyone tried or done a comparison between that and Touch Up Direct?

What a ripoff. $45 for touchup paint that is $10 or $15 a bottle at a dealer. Unless this is some late model or high dollar car, go to a site like https://paintref.com/index.shtml
find the color of your car, then match it with a later model car that is likely still available. Doesn't even have to be the same make. Tesla wanted like $40 for a touch up kit for my car. No thanks. I have a whole box of old bottles and found a "close enough" match from a Ford bottle.

The prices from both the above mention paint places are outrageous. I bought a whole bottle of white touchup paint from ebay a lot less than those places.

I've had great luck with Dr. ColorChip. Use per the instructions and you're able to level the touched up area to that of the original paint surface. If you simply blob on "standard" touch up paint, the color may match but you'll always have a little paint chip dent or raised paint dimple.

Soon after buying our Reef Blue Passat I got sprayed with small stones from an oncoming gravel truck. When I got home it made me sick - a weeks old car with 20 or 30 pin head sized chips. I ordered a Dr. ColorChip and spent a couple of hours in the garage one afternoon and was able to make those rock chips DISAPPEAR. Be patient, sometimes you have to work a chip more than once to make it fully DISAPPEAR.

My only caveat is that if you're trying to "catch up" on an older car that's gotten more than its fair share of rock chips, too many to count and rock chips packed with old wax, don't bother. IMO, Dr. ColorChip is best suited for use on a newer car with "flawless" paint, one where you're trying to stay ahead of the game and fix them when you get them.

Scott

Last edited:
Hi all, OEM touch up paint is no longer available for my 2005 Highlander. It appears there are two aftermarket suppliers of touchup paint - Dr. ColorChip and Touch Up Direct. From a search it seems like several folks here have had decent success with Dr. Color Chip but has anyone tried or done a comparison between that and Touch Up Direct?
Have you tried going to Napa? My local one can mix the correct paint color by using the code on the doorjamb.

Back