Rusty paint chip touch up suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I need a little guidance on this one..

My 97 cummins has a bunch of small rusted paint chips on the front. I was thinking sand and treat the rust with ospho, but a body guy said I should use carpro's Iron X paste instead. And another said forget touch up and paint the entire front end.

There's plenty of information about etching primers and Dr Paint Chip etc.. But not much about neutralizing the rust before the finishing process.

I don't want the rust coming back and since its a DD, I'm only concerned about how it looks from ten feet away. Any suggestions are appreciated.

[Linked Image]

Those don't seem that deep, so you might be able to sand them out possibly. The key is applying the Ospho and then sanding until the black converted rust is gone until there is nothing left. The Duplicolor matched spray cans matched my paint perfectly, it might be more difficult to match a silver. My car is non-metallic red.

I Osphoed and blasted rust on my car two years ago and it hasn't came back yet.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/paint-chip-touch-up/

This guy has a good vid on it.

That is good except the size of the sand paper disk. That's way to big imo.

And he should have taped off the good paint with a tiny hole in the tape..

I think I'm going to get Iron X Paste over Ospho, but neither Dr Colorchip or automotivetouchup.com relied to a email sent asking about paint code PFA.

Is it normal for a paint code to change with the year? Meaning my 97 light driftwood satin glow PFA is the same as a 99 light driftwood satin glow PFK?

Hey everyone..

I bought some touch up paint, primer and clear, but the sanding step is proving to be very challenging. I cut short pieces of 1/8" dowel and glued 400 grit disks to them for a dremel, but 1/8" is to big for many of my chips. I also bought some Iron X paste and Ospho to neutralize and convert the rust. But now I'm wondering if I can neutralize and convert the rust and apply primer and paint without sanding, because most of my chips are much smaller than 1/8" and there's allot..

Am I fighting a loosing battle, and should I temporarily seal off and slow the rust with fluid film before I have it painted? Or can I apply primer/paint without sanding if I use X paste and Ospho? Second picture shows the Iron X removing Iron. Does Ospho damage paint?

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back