Downspout "strap"

Hi all,

I have Zip hinges installed on all of my downspouts, and when I did the installation a couple of years ago I did not use the included clasps to hold the extensions in the "folded up" position since they're kind of flimsy and I don't trust that over time they will be reliable, especially over the course of a winter as they can tend to get too bent, etc. My parents just bought a house and their builder contracted someone to use an aluminum strap screwed into both sides of the vertical downspout that simply acts like a latch for holding up the extension when up...super simple and effective. I have tried googling to identify these to purchase and can't for the life of me get any hits. Does anyone know what they would be called? If needed I can try to provide pics for clarity.

I think I know what you are after but pics would be helpful, I may be interested myself. I have a zip hinge installed and just used the clasp that came with it and have had zero issues other than having to grab a socket and tighten it up now that then. I only use it when I mow.

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 8.20.45 AM.png

I have also played around with a velcro strap but didn't think it was any better than the clasp.

Do an internet search for:
hinged downspout extension
I'm not looking for the hinges, I have those installed already. I'm looking for a metal strap to hold it up...same function as what is seen in the pic that Duffy posted above put I don't want to use those clasps because I've had them spin on me before and the downspout drops. I'll get a pic of the actual strap installed on my parent's spouts within the next couple of days and post that to help clarify what I can't put into words lol.

It looks like just a piece of bent sheet aluminum, spray painted white, and with two holes drilled in it. You could probably fabricate one in an hour.
I ended up doing something even more simple...bought a few straps and bent them to shape. I pop riveted each side and then cut small notches in the end of the extension for the straps to slot into. Pics for those interested in an easy solution.

Attachments

• PXL_20221023_192709816.jpg
    PXL_20221023_192709816.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20221023_192624177.jpg
    PXL_20221023_192624177.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 13
I ended up doing something even more simple...bought a few straps and bent them to shape. I pop riveted each side and then cut small notches in the end of the extension for the straps to slot into. Pics for those interested in an easy solution.
Nice work!

Back