Down and almost (?) out.

I have been away for a few weeks. I have had quite an adventure lately. To keep it short, I have struggled with abdominal pain for the past few years, it would come and go but the episodes have got progressivly worse. About 10 days ago, I doubled over in pain and could not get up to my feet. I did not eat anything for 4 days and I realized I can not ride this one out.

Due to insurance, I had to see the local Doc first. He wanted to help, but at the small clinic all he could do was run bloodwork, and could not give me pain meds because of covering up a potential appendix burst. We went away and he calls me at 6 AM at my home and tells me to go NOW to the ER. No exceptions. The bloodwork indicated my white blood count was "off the charts".

The ER runs ultrasound and CT scans on upper and lower abdomen. They find I have bilateral pneumonia and a grangreneous gall bladder. Apparently the gall bladder was so inflamed the blood supply was compromised and necrosis set in. My weakened condition then allowed for the double pneumonia to set up in my lungs.

Surgery was preformed, but due to the extensive infection, I could not just do the laproscopic procedure. I had to undergo the full open surgery. I was on multiple IV antibiotics for 5 days, and I am now home with an oral to follow up.

Sorry to bore anyone with an "aches and pain" story. I just want to say DON'T IGNORE your body. especially as you get older. I am now 57. not 27, and I am trying to get out of the 27 year old mindset. I have stayed away from Doctors in past decades, but as I approach 60, I will go when necessary. The Docs did tell me much more gangrene and I could have died. The white blood count panicked them.

Thank you for sharing. We can never have enough reminders to pay attention to what our bodies are telling us.

Wishing you an excellent and speedy recovery.

Yes on the fever, but not sure how high it was. We just have the cheap IR scanner, and it gave various readings. I don't know the official temp at the hospital. The pain I was in is all I had my mind on.

Good grief! You went through an ordeal Sir! Speedy recovery to you!

I went through laproscopic gall bladder removal a few years back. The gall bladder attacks were awful. Worst part of the lap surgery for me was the pain in the upper body for days afterwards due to gas bubbles left in your body from puffing you up (I'm told).

Had my appendix removed nearly 40yrs ago when I was a kid. Pretty big scar from how they did it back then.

Good grief! You went through an ordeal Sir! Speedy recovery to you!

I went through laproscopic gall bladder removal a few years back. The gall bladder attacks were awful. Worst part of the lap surgery for me was the pain in the upper body for days afterwards due to gas bubbles left in your body from puffing you up (I'm told).

Had my appendix removed nearly 40yrs ago when I was a kid. Pretty big scar from how they did it back then.

I had laproscopic inguinal hernia surgery just over a year ago. No pains from the gas but I was puffy in my belly for a few days. My surgeon used the robotics. Three cuts in my abdomen. Left hand, right hand and tool, gas. Very cool technology.

To GFH, hope you heal up fast and are back doing whatever you want to do. If you're taking opioids, take them only as directed or less. You must have a high tolerance to pain if it took a gangrenous gall bladder to get you to the doctor.

Yes I am still bloated from the surgery. As I understand it, the Laproscopic technique is much easier to recover from, less trauma for the body. My abdominal wall is cut, I have 22 large metal sutures in place. I have used little of the pain meds. I could use 4 per day but I am on day two at home and now have only taken 2 pills total so far.

I like to think I have a high pain tolerance, but this time I just could not bear it. I am surving through this, but never want to get this way again. The pain literally put me down.

Yes I am still bloated from the surgery. As I understand it, the Laproscopic technique is much easier to recover from, less trauma for the body. My abdominal wall is cut, I have 22 large metal sutures in place. I have used little of the pain meds. I could use 4 per day but I am on day two at home and now have only taken 2 pills total so far.

I like to think I have a high pain tolerance, but this time I just could not bear it. I am surving through this, but never want to get this way again. The pain literally put me down.
Take the least amount of pain meds as possible. They are constipating and with your belly all stitched up...... Well you get the idea.

About 8 or 9 years ago I had gall bladder surgery. I'd been waking up sick every morning for several years. Finally I mentioned it to my Dr. who sent me for tests. Best I remember they said my gall bladder was working at something like 8%. I have chronic back pain so, I thought the sickness was just coming from the back pain. When I woke up from my surgery I was in more pain than I'd been in in my life. I'd already set up trying to get some relief from the pain before the nurses saw me and told me I couldn't do that. When they saw I was about to get up off that gurney they got busy and found me some pain meds real quick. After the surgery I was so sore I could hardly get in and out of bed for a couple weeks. I'm old and hardheaded too. Getting old is for the birds but, I guess it beats the alternative of dying young. Unless it's for my regular 3 month check up I have to be nearly dead before I'll go to a Dr. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Glad you made it and are still here. Getting old is not fun and has its own challenges. Hopefully you have a speedy recovery and minimal complications from this.

That is no ache and pain story. Glad it seems to be working out for you now. Best wishes for an excellent recovery. It's hard to get out of that 27 year old mentality. Age is something that equalizes us all. Money nor race nor gender saves you from father time.

Wow! Glad you got a definitive solution and you're on the road to recovery. Thank goodness we don't live in the "good old days" before modern medicine.

I’m glad the docs fixed you up and that you’re still with us. That’s quite a story! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Back