Down and almost (?) out.

About 8 or 9 years ago I had gall bladder surgery. I'd been waking up sick every morning for several years. Finally I mentioned it to my Dr. who sent me for tests. Best I remember they said my gall bladder was working at something like 8%. I have chronic back pain so, I thought the sickness was just coming from the back pain. When I woke up from my surgery I was in more pain than I'd been in in my life. I'd already set up trying to get some relief from the pain before the nurses saw me and told me I couldn't do that. When they saw I was about to get up off that gurney they got busy and found me some pain meds real quick. After the surgery I was so sore I could hardly get in and out of bed for a couple weeks. I'm old and hardheaded too. Getting old is for the birds but, I guess it beats the alternative of dying young. Unless it's for my regular 3 month check up I have to be nearly dead before I'll go to a Dr. Hope you're feeling better soon.

I feel like I am talking to myself here. I have been hurting for well over a year. My gall bladder ended up dieing inside of me, and necrosis took place and gangrene followed. This was more pain that I have ever delt with. I don't want to do it again. I now hurt getting in and out of bed or a a chair, but it will pass. I have avoided seeing Docs almost all of my life, but those days are now over.

I remember that pain well, before I had my gallbladder out. No necrosis or stones, just the scan showing 0% activity. Surgery went well, was up and around after a day or two. Its been eight years, those pains have never come back, but apparently some people's bodies adapt well to not having a gall bladder. Some don't. I'm in the "dont" category. As painful as those attacks were, the change in my lifestyle since having mine out has seriously made me think I wish they would reinstall it.

When I get up in the morning, I eat as much as I can, to uh... get things moving. If I get up and don't eat, but instead wonder around the house, tinker in the garage, etc and then we go out to a late breakfast or early lunch, it better be within 2-3 minutes of home, because after I eat that first meal of the day, once my body decides it needs to land the plane so to speak, it gives a 2-3 minute warning and doesn't take no for an answer. Doesn't matter what I eat either, yes fatty and spicy foods make it worse, but I can eat a handful of rice and a raw potato, same result.

My wife had hers out about six months before I did, and she has had no problems whatsoever. My co-worker had his out about a year after I did, and he's having the same issues I am.

Hope recovery goes well and my sympathies are with you. The pain before the surgery was relentless, horrific, and nothing whatsoever brought any relief, and I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone. Hopefully your body (and diet) adapts to not having a gallbladder, my stupid body hasn't.

I work in healthcare and have seen older folks (50+) ignore warning signs of a major health problem and chalk it up as “getting older”

Don’t hesitate to go to the ER if something is not right. I know someone with minor stomach pain for weeks, it was pancreatitis and they ignored the increasing pain.... until 9-1-1 needed to be called and they were rushed to the hospital in an ambulance.
🥵

Last edited:
Wow, glad you caught it in time and got back on track. Best wishes in your healing process.

Wow, quite the situation.

What would you have done differently? Seems,like there is a broad fuzzy area between pain, chronic pain, and an issue.

Glad you got it resolved!

Glad you're still with us! I too have learned not to chalk up unusual things as "getting older" or "it's no big deal".

Same thing happened to my sister.

We met at a local women's clothes shop to correct sizes (I got 'em all wrong) after Christmas.
Around 8:00PM she whispered to me that she felt REAL bad. Weren't raised to be complainers either.
Around 3:00AM she was treated to an ambulance ride.
Around 6:00AM she had her rotten gall bladder removed.....or was it her appendix? Same thing.

When my gall bladder needed to come out I never had any pain associated with it. I just woke up feeling sick every morning. Usually after I'd been up for a couple hours I'd start feeling better until the next morning when it would all start again. When I first had mine out I had some bowel problems if I ate a salad but, now I'm fine. I eat anything I want and as much of it as I want.

Wow, quite the situation.
What would you have done differently? Seems,like there is a broad fuzzy area between pain, chronic pain, and an issue.

I would have not ignored the problem so long. This has been repetative over the past year or more, but I was able to "ride out" the episodes despite the pain involved. This last one literally put me on the floor and I could not get up or get past it. Agony is the word I would use.

Its in my blood to be a protector and caregiver TO my family, not the other way around. I cared for both my terminally ill parents, along with my MIL. I took care of my family of five too. So, it was hard for me to get to the point where I knew I needed help this time. By body was screaming at me but I was slow to listen. Now I have learned my lesson. I will go to the Docs when needed. I will take meds, etc. No more blowing things off. I am grateful for my life and want to take care of myself now. I realize I am not 27 anymore. With age comes wisdom!

Back