Doug Demuro reviews the 1988 Volga GAZ 24-10

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I find crappy 80's cars fascinating, and there's no shortage of them!

Last edited:
I see many former Soviet vehicles in the trendier or heavily eastern european neighborhoods of Brooklyn/Queens

I believe the manager of the Polish and Slavic Federal credit union has a restored FSO Syrena he brings in occasionally and parks by the front door

Lada 2105/2107 (guy was restoring one and putting a hot Fiat twin cam in it), an odd Trabant, several Lada Rivas (useful?)

I saw a Yugo with plates on the road a few weeks back:D

If you see automotive history as part of world history (as I do), I'm always strangely fascinated what those strangled behind the iron curtain were making do with

Considering the lack of resources and knowledge of competitors, it's got an almost shabby charm to it

From a technical perspective, they were trying :LOL:
Rear brake drums out of aluminum for "sporty"
6 volt electrics until 1984! (added only for heated rear window)
They held onto positive ground for too long
Starting handles well into the internet age
Inline-3 engine, with 3 separate coils for "redundancy"
Composite body panels "duroplast"

Considering most of the engineering was barn door grade, while being financially and mentally censored, meant to be driven by people who didn't have much mechanical knowledge, because they weren't given much mechanical knowledge, and a mentality of "you either get it going, or you freeze", I do respect what they were trying to do

Mildly more interesting to talk about and look at than the played out '57 Chevy and '59 Cadillac all the insufferable boomers roll up in on meetup night by me

I can't be the only one who could see owning something like this as part pf a useable collection....you won't see yourself at gas stations, parking lots, etc.

lgseuS0vnHo.jpg

Seems they are kinda wanted now

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks so!

Some of the cars he’s covered in his videos have been mildly interesting, but I find him irritating.

He’d be far more interesting if he’d focus more on the engine, transmission, suspension, and other mechanical aspects of the cars he reviews, instead of quirky things the owners manual says, or odd random interior features.

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks so!

Some of the cars he’s covered in his videos have been mildly interesting, but I find him irritating.

He’d be far more interesting if he’d focus more on the engine, transmission, suspension, and other mechanical aspects of the cars he reviews, instead of quirky things the owners manual says, or odd random interior features.
It's a car that goes 0-60... maybe. I'm not sure I care to know if it's got VVTI or not.

He tends to review older cars that somehow wound up iconic. Honestly I'm not going to own any of these older models, so learning mundane details about them is boring. Endearing quirks, that's more interesting.

Now, not sure I could stand to watch him review a new model car, not something I was actually cross-shopping.

They were considered a Cadillac or a Mercedes of the eastern block at the time

compared to the Ford we had when I was young, these don't look out of place...

and that car got replaced by a GM product, Opel Rekord D

compared to the Ford we had when I was young, these don't look out of place...

With exception of Volga (USSR) and Skoda (Czechoslovakia), all the Eastern Block had build cars under license from Fiat, Renault, Citroen even. They were modern at the beginning of their production runs, but then became obsolete because they stagnated at that licensed version.

Which fiat? I don't recognize it and can't find anything about this one being licensed
he means other than the volga, skodas, trabi, moskvitch and tatras a lot of eastern family cars were license built

lada fiat 124

polski fiat 125 and fso

dacia renault

i guess the zastavas, even though they weren’t under the iron curtain

Last edited:
Back