Doubting G-05's cooling ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I have a 1998 Grand Prix GTP, highly modified, and I run G-05 coolant in both my engine cooling system and my aftermarket water/air intercooling system.

I normally run customers on simple Prestone but I run mine and one other on G-05 to test out and we've noticed potentially poor results in our intercooler systems. I'm a 3800 retailer and have a pretty good idea of how this combo should run and we both have elevated KR levels.

I also run a 1 3/8" radiator upgrade for my engine and my coolant temps yesterday just wouldn't stay down, about 175-190*, no A/C running. Last year running regular coolant I'd never see over 170*, even on the hottest muggiest Toronto day.

I'm really doubting G-05's cooling ability! I love the anti-corrosion properties but I need something that'll perform.

Looking for your input! Anything I should try, should I reflush the system, use any flushing additives, use any additives with the G-05? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I'd forget about changing coolants and look for your problem elsewhere. With the exception of propylene glycol antifreeze, all antifreeze is ethylene glycol with additives. It's the etylene glycol - not the additives - that affects heat transfer. Any one antifreeze should work equally as well as another for heat transfer.

I'd look at the thermostat function, cooling fan function, or blockage in the system. Hopefully, you're running a 50-50 mix of antifreeze with water.

The only other thing I can think of is to add water wetter to aid heat transfer of the coolant. But this may only mask some underlying cause that needs to be fixed.

I also wonder if maybe you got a different mix this time? Different water/coolant ratios will have a big effect on cooling.

That's a somewhat extreme statement. Antifreeze has half the thermal transfer characteristics of water, not zero.

Mixing the two has always a balancing act. You want to maximize the thermal transfer characteristics with water, but also want to have the corrosion protection of antifreeze, that's why the recommended coolant mix is always between 50-50 and 70-30 water/antifreeze. Neither pure antifreeze nor pure water is good for the engine.

Last edited:
Quote:

I normally run customers on simple Prestone but I run mine and one other on G-05 to test out and we've noticed potentially poor results in our intercooler systems.

I also run a 1 3/8" radiator upgrade for my engine

there really is no difference in G05 to traditional antifreeze, they're both ethylene glycol and low silicate. The difference is G05 has organic acid stuff in it (OAT/HOAT) for long life corrosion protection, and I don't that's going to have any effect on heat transfer.
My best guess is it's either coincidence- you're running G05 and having problems where others are running prestone and no problems, or something else has changed on your car causing a problem. You mentioned you're running a different radiator, is it a different size area-wise? You might be affecting airflow through the engine bay, and that would definitely cause [negative] differences in heat transfer. Especially if you have or added an intercooler, or maybe changed the size or relocated it.

The term "highly modified" is what first catches my eye, so that's most likely a large source of you're problem
smile.gif

but seriously, you need airflow thru the radiator to remove heat out of the coolant (obviously) but also need that air which picked up that heat to leave radiator and engine bay. If you affect the airflow that heat will eventually build up in that area and limit your ability to take heat out of the system, no matter how big your radiator is.

One hot rodder faux pas is to dispense with the fan shroud. The shroud has a big effect on helping draw heat from the radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back