RMI-25

This is an attempt to make a thread about RMI-25. I do not see a whole lot of discussion nor information about it. Only a little bit.

On a leap of faith, I decided to add the 8 ounces (should be 1/4 of the 32oz. bottle it comes in) to our Taurus in the signature, which is now seeing increased use, at least for a little while.

20230709_134747.jpg
20230709_134753.jpg

For some vehicle-specific information on the Taurus, it recently got its coolant flushed to the "right" kind - G-05 - during a water pump replacement. The cooling system had been neglected as well as topped off with "Universal" for some time before that. Coolant looking clean, I posted about it this morning.. now has some RMI-25 in it.

Non-vehicle specific, this stuff looks like what you add in to the pool water filter, if I remember correctly.

Who here uses RMI-25 and what results were achieved? And I do see specifically that it can be left in.

I've been adding 4oz of RMI-25 every 15,000 miles to the FL22 coolant in my 2012 Mazda3. The 4oz is based upon the cooling system's 2 gallon capacity. My experiment will involve not changing the coolant unless I have to open the system for a component change. I have 130,000 miles on the car. The coolant remains pretty clean looking, though, that doesn't mean much. At no point have I seen anything floating on the coolant or griming up the recovery tank. My car has a pressurized recovery tank.

@Slow Car Sport Mode - What problem are you trying to fix?

Reason I ask: here is a 19 year old water pump from a 234,000 mile car next to a new one. See the difference?

70276177960__CA7181CE-BCB0-42E0-A816-48E8CF3C0F40.jpeg

Yeah, me neither…

So, what is the problem you think exists in the Taurus? Other than peer into the expansion tank, what steps have you taken to determine the cooling system condition?

I don’t object to spending money to fix something. To address a problem.

But this looks a lot like spending money for the sake of spending money.

You don’t have enough data to know if it is needed, or not.

@Slow Car Sport Mode - What problem are you trying to fix?

Reason I ask: here is a 19 year old water pump from a 234,000 mile car next to a new one. See the difference?

View attachment 165939

Yeah, me neither…

So, what is the problem you think exists in the Taurus? Other than peer into the expansion tank, what steps have you taken to determine the cooling system condition?
Some months ago, the coolant looked like a brownish A%W root beer. I don't drink root beer so I can't make witry brand references...but it was pretty dirty.

It was also brought to my attention sometime in Q1 of this year that Universal antifreeze "Is a lie, there is no such thing" and that I may have been doing the cooling system a DISservice by partial drain and fills with it and apparently it can eat head gaskets and things.

Then there is the whole issue of "Dex-cool" - although this car maybe came with G-05, which AFAIK isn't Dex Cool so. Possible avoided bullet there.

The winter, I was able to do siphons and partial drain and fills with distilled water to achieve ever clearer looking coolant.. this went very well until water pump started letting us know it needed to be changed via the weep hole. Car never overheated and it was replaced in time. (Some wouldn't have drove it at all with a weeping water pump. I was tasked with checking the coolant level before each trip, as we need the vehicle, until it was fixed. Problem avoided. And yes I lost an engine that way once.... let's not go backwards..)

So, with the RMI-25... I'm really still not sure exactly what it is supposed to do, honestly, xcept make the coolant look like mustard. Still, with the Taurus iron block and iron heads Vulcan engine having some really funky coolant in its water jackets for awhile and now having new coolant... well, if it is supposed to Condition...

Since the Taurus is seeing " an uptick in use" I thought.. Hey, maybe the RMI-25 is a good product to have in the cooling system rather than sitting on the shelf.

I think there is at least one other member I've heard runs RMI-25. I just know very little about it. If it is a good product.

Or, to your point.. if it does anything. A point of logic is, that some say, if it doesn't do anything, then it can't harm anything, either, if it doesn't help.. again, I don't know with RMI-25.

I don’t object to spending money to fix something. To address a problem.

But this looks a lot like spending money for the sake of spending money.

You don’t have enough data to know if it is needed, or not.

@Astro14 You're right.. this is something I had purchased already.

If it is helpful, I'd rather it be in the cooling system while the car does double and triple duty in my list of assessments and checkpoints to hopefully become the new SV-D or GS-5/6 Civilian Federal Employee we are talking about, and oh man am I ready for that. I need it. I want it. I'll do what it takes. It's time.

If it's not, I want to use it up so I can make a mental note to never purchase again.

Operating theory was "WOW that was a neglected cooling system."

I also don't want to discourage anyone else from posting about RMI-25. I used an example of the 2004 Taurus SES in my signature.. 138,815 miles today. I don’t want anyone to think I'm telling them not to share their experiences or opinions or info etc.

So basically, you knew this thing had a problem…

Then, instead of fixing it correctly by simply draining, flushing and refilling with the proper coolant, you wasted a ton of money, and effort by doing partial drains and fills with the wrong coolant, then the right coolant.

And now, you’re not sure what’s in there?

Look, you’ve done a whole bunch of half baked things. Not even repairs, just actions. The only thing you accomplished with all that effort was to lighten your wallet.

Do it once and do it right. No more half measures and no more miracles in a can.

What's the cause for obcession with coolant lately? You were changing the coolant on the Subaru weekly. Why focusing on the Taurus now?

It has a new water pump already. It's not overheating. The Ford Vulcan engine is well known to crud up the cooling system as it is even with the "right" coolant. Stop fixing it until it's broke. And those miracle fixes in a bottle just work to make your wallet lighter.

Keep it under 90 on the highway while you are borrowing it.

What's the cause for obcession with coolant lately? You were changing the coolant on the Subaru weekly. Why focusing on the Taurus now?

It has a new water pump already. It's not overheating. The Ford Vulcan engine is well known to crud up the cooling system as it is even with the "right" coolant. Stop fixing it until it's broke. And those miracle fixes in a bottle just work to make your wallet lighter.

Keep it under 90 on the highway while you are borrowing it.
Given that, it is likely this thread will end up like the other one. Reading above it is headed there.

Snake oil nothing more. If the cooling systems needs to be cleaned, something on the acidic side is recommended, citric based cleaners for example.
Once the system is clean, all the other "properties" of this product, like corrosion inhibitors, cavitation protection etc. are all part of the coolant formula anyways.

I have used RMI-25 in the past. It did help to clean up a cooling system in a 1996 Toyota truck my son bought. Someone had mixed green and Toyota red and the result looked like brown oatmeal. I flushed and flushed and flushed (you get the idea) and replaced it with the proper ratio of Toyota red. The RMI-25 seemed to flocculate out some residual junk every so often into the coolant tank, which was easy to remove and clean. I still have some and will probably use it in my LJ before I do a coolant change.

Back