Double Edge Safety Razors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: deoxy4
Wet shaving can be done within a reasonable budget. Some get hooked and spend a considerable amount as a hobby.

so that's why i went from just a pre-war tech to...

old type
new
pre-war tech
military issue bakelite tech (complete with unopened pack of blades)
post war ball handle tech
1952 super speed
1969 black handle super speed
a couple of travel techs

then the non gillete stuff... merkur 33C, bakelite handle gem 1912, gem micromatic, durham duplex

also a couple vintage brushes and an old spice mug

the temptation to start collecting shave stuff can hit you hard

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
A friend gave me a vintage Bengall cuthroat last year. It didn't come with pressure bandages, but one of these days I'll get up my courage and get slicing.

hotwheels

I gave a mate a cuthroat razor mid last year that I inherited with my house, and I was never game to sharpen and try.

Funny coincidence.

Maybe this year I'll try to hunt up a vintage Gillette DE razor, maybe an adjustable.

Trivia question: What famous fictional character used a Gillette razor in at least one of the novels about him? "[Name] surveyed his weapons. They were only his hands and feet, his Gillette razor . . ."

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: hotwheels
A friend gave me a vintage Bengall cuthroat last year. It didn't come with pressure bandages, but one of these days I'll get up my courage and get slicing.

hotwheels

I gave a mate a cuthroat razor mid last year that I inherited with my house, and I was never game to sharpen and try.

Funny coincidence.

I have steady hands and will report unless a big mishap occurs.

I don't believe in coincidences, but rather in synchronicity and collusion.

hotwheels

Well....... got the razor and am learning to use it.
Quite different than the disposables.
Seems it takes an extra pass or two.
I am really cautious with it for sure.

JP

I hit Amazon for a Merkur 38C a little over a year ago. I will never go back to the multi-blade razors. If you're new to safety razors get yourself a styptic pencil or two.
It is going to take you a few weeks to get the hang of learning or relearning how to shave with a safety razor. So far the best shaves I've gotten using store bought shaving creme was with Gillette Edge gel.

Youtube is your friend when comes to learning shave with a safety razor and caring for the blades. Cost wise you can beat Amazon for bulk buying. The other benefit of Amazon is they sell variety packs of several brands of blades so you can try out and compare different manufactures.

For new DE users- easy does it, light touch, find the angle, short strokes, and at least at the beginning, shave only *with* the grain. It's a skill, & you're at a disadvantage from learning with & using multiblades for your previous shaving life. My brothers & I represent both ends of the spectrum- I learned with a DE way back when, but when younger brothers began shaving, the Trac II was out.

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
For new DE users- easy does it, light touch, find the angle, short strokes, and at least at the beginning, shave only *with* the grain. It's a skill, & you're at a disadvantage from learning with & using multiblades for your previous shaving life. My brothers & I represent both ends of the spectrum- I learned with a DE way back when, but when younger brothers began shaving, the Trac II was out.

*** Yea.. I am taking it cautious and have not cut myself yet.
I'm sure I'll push the angle at some point and find out the line I can't cross! LOL

JP

Just a quick update. Best move I've ever made with a razor.
Absolutely Zero cuts or nicks. Change the blade out once a week.
I do have to lather up twice each time but that is okay.

For those of you who still do the disposable razors all I can say is
if you make the switch you won't regret it!
thumbsup2.gif

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back