DOT Date Code for Shed Tires?

Is it safe to use tires which were inside a shed , brand new and never used but a DOT date code of 2012?

Thank you (y)

Yes. They're preserved. The preservative wears off when you drive on them and heat cycle them.

I assume they didn't see much UV or ozone.

They won't be perfect, but they will be usable.

Go ahead and use them before the worry warts come in with their "RMA says to discard tires after 5 years regardless of usage" rabble. 🧐

Just FYI, the tires on the rear of my 65 mustang which spends 99% of its time in the garage, are at least 12 years old now, and seem to be in perfect shape. No signs of dry rot or cracking, and have around 15000 miles on them. Of course I don't drive over 70 mph, but do drive as much as 100 miles in single highway trip. I agree with what Reddy45 says.

Word of caution:

Just because there aren't any cracks, doesn't mean the tires are good. Many tire manufacturers use special, noncracking sidewall compounds.

Plus cracking is caused by the combination of stress and material. So unused tires may not be cracked, but will crack badly after a little use.

These are 6+ year old tires and not only don't we know where the OP lives, but we don't know how hot it might have gotten in the shed.

Heat is the tire killer!

Back