DOT 3 regular Brake fliud or DOT 3 Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 04 Ranger 4x4 3.0 motor. I need to flush the brake fluid, manual calls for DOT 3. I have found lots of DOT 3 synthetic on shelf, and says it is comparable with all DOT 3 systems. Some other forums says DO NOT MIX with any Synthetic brake fluid with just plain old DOT 3? Whats anyone's take on it? Thanks!!

If it is DOT 3 then it is DOT3. It is a glycol as I recall, which means it was likely synthesized regardless of the label.

IMO it is a buzzword to sell an item.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If it is DOT 3 then it is DOT3. It is a glycol as I recall, which means it was likely synthesized regardless of the label.

IMO it is a buzzword to sell an item.

That's correct! All DOT 3, 4 & 5.1 are all synthitic. DOT 5 is silicone.

Brake fluids all the way back as-far-as I can remember, are synthetic.

I have noticed in the past 10 years that some bottles/brands of brake fluid mention in large letters, "SYNTHETIC" as though this is something new or better. It's marketing only!

I don't think that I have ever used anything other than DOT 3 brake fluid. Oh, I may have bought on sale some DOT 4 but, most of the time especially in the last 20 years or so, all I have used is store brand DOT 3 meaning, Super Tech, AdvnAutoParts, WearEver, ProLine DOT 3 brake fluids. Never an issue!

Even the auto parts store brand brake fluids state on the label: meets DOT 3/4 spec and bla-bla-bla...ABS brake systems.

Last edited:
So not to beat a dead horse, Even the Full synthetics DOT3 would work, like amsoil, Valvoline or just plain Prestone Synthetics? I want to change out the fluid with no irreversible affects. It seems 20 years ago you just go to peb boys and you get "brake fluid" and you were fine. I'm still fighting time and technology. LOL Thanks!

Last edited:
No problem what-so-ever with any DOT3 brake fluid in a brake system calling for DOT3. Some DOT3 fluids have a higher boiling point than others, but not by much. I am using DOT3 in my E430 and the spec fluid is DOT4 without any adverse effect.

Originally Posted By: fazzer
So not to beat a dead horse, Even the Full synthetics DOT3 would work, like amsoil, Valvoline or just plain Prestone Synthetics? I want to change out the fluid with no irreversible affects. It seems 20 years ago you just go to peb boys and you get "brake fluid" and you were fine. I'm still fighting time and technology. LOL Thanks!

Yes! They're all full Synthetic, every single one. The brands that advervise on their bottle, "SYNTHITIC" are just making things confusing as if the other brands aren't synthetic. THEY'RE ALL FULL SYNTHETIC!

It's Silicone brake fluid, not synthitic fluid that can't be mixed with other types of brake fluid. The different types of brake fluid is the difference between synthetic and silicone not synthitic and non synthetic. There is not such thing as DOT 3 regular fluid and DOT 3 Synthetic. They're both synthetic! One mfg is just labeling their container as such and making things very confusing for the normal shopper. Same w/ DOT 4 and DOT 5.1

There are different levels of fluids such as DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1(in which all three can be mixed). "DOT 5" is "silicone" which can't be mixed with the other three and is designed for applications such as racing, withstand even higher boiling points, isn't hydroscopic(won't absorbe water/moisture) and won't hurt the paint on you vehicle where the others will damage the paint.

I hope this isn't as confusing as a brake fluid mfg putting the word "Synthetic" on their container. Buy any DOT 3 or 4 on sale/best price and sleep well at night.

If someone advises that you should not mix synthetic Dot3 with regular Dot3, then you should either ask for clarification because you may have misunderstood or you should stop taking their advice because they don't know what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back