Don't ask a person from the rural Midwest what day it is

Wow, I've done labor and I done desk jobs. Gimme the easy path any day.
No to mention pretty much everyone I know that worked labor has health issues; lotta bad backs.

I've done both as well.
I did the farming with grandpa and know well what was involved.
It's hard physically, some stuff you just cant do alone..

It's also been hard answering to wall street for the 30 years trying to grow quarter on quarter, year on year or face immediate punishment, or or outright termination for a bad quarter. At my last public co gig enduring 17 bosses in 15 years all but a few totally incompetent bumbles I had to perform for while training and cleaning up after.
I was hard firing guys, knowing you are upending families. This took years off my life.

There is a lot to be said for only being responsible for yourself vs the whims of an overlord with your living in his hands.

I've done both as well.
I did the farming with grandpa and know well what was involved.
It's hard physically, some stuff you just cant do alone..

It's also been hard answering to wall street for the 30 years trying to grow quarter on quarter, year on year or face immediate punishment, or or outright termination for a bad quarter. At my last public co gig enduring 17 bosses in 15 years all but a few totally incompetent bumbles I had to perform for while training and cleaning up after.
I was hard firing guys, knowing you are upending families. This took years off my life.

There is a lot to be said for only being responsible for yourself vs the whims of an overlord with your living in his hands.
The CEO is the toughest job, by a long shot. As a custom application developer, I worked with the business on .NET/SQL solutions that SAP and Oracle could not provide or were a poor fit. Heck, I cried when co-programmers were laid off. I never wanted a position in charge of other's livelihoods. Never.

No, farm work is much more relaxing and fun. I'm an Iowa boy who made a decent living in high school, and now am a professional...lived both lives ;-)
definitely can be relaxing, but also terribly depressing and stressfilled at times too. Farming livestock every year starts out with a dream of an exciting future - a new generation of breeding potential. Unfortunately, animals get sick and die and stuff happens which are out of anyones control. Compared to January 6, 2021 - livestock feeds have almost doubled in cost, and necessary medications have become non accessible in California, and soon several other states. What medications used to be readily accessible at Tractor Supply or most feedstores - now must be ordered through a veterinarian with costs for a simple bottle of tetanus antitoxin used to being $37 - now we had to buy from a vet for a cost of $500 for them to tell us what we already knew. IF these simple meds that have been readily available for decades at an affordable cost - inexpensive enough to be purchased as a preventative, now have become cost prohibitive and resulting in situations that prevent a more humane management and care of animals.

I retired 4.5 years ago after a serious tramatic brain injury at work went mostly untreated. I have horrific migraines every day along with tinnitus, light sensitively and no ability to use a computer more than 15 minutes. I was an engineer that could multitask and communicate in busy stressful environments. Now if I hear more than one person , or also have a tv one it starts to shut my ability to conventrate off.
I had about 4 to 5 years to work until retirement when I got injured. I gladly would have kept my stressful job that long to retire functional. I had 43 good years in my engineering life. I never knew how good I had it working 10 to 12 hour days but being able to sleep well and function all the time.
My newest life is trying to manage depression. Never had any issues until I was 60. Now I have meds and dark days to deal with. An injury thats serious can change your life in a minute and forever.

I retired 4.5 years ago after a serious tramatic brain injury at work went mostly untreated. I have horrific migraines every day along with tinnitus, light sensitively and no ability to use a computer more than 15 minutes. I was an engineer that could multitask and communicate in busy stressful environments. Now if I hear more than one person , or also have a tv one it starts to shut my ability to conventrate off.
I had about 4 to 5 years to work until retirement when I got injured. I gladly would have kept my stressful job that long to retire functional. I had 43 good years in my engineering life. I never knew how good I had it working 10 to 12 hour days but being able to sleep well and function all the time.
My newest life is trying to manage depression. Never had any issues until I was 60. Now I have meds and dark days to deal with. An injury thats serious can change your life in a minute and forever.
Wow....sorry guy. I'm 60 as well and plan on retirement at 62. So far I've suffered a heart attack a couple of years ago. With a little luck I will live long enough to enjoy my retirement.
Hang in there. I suffer depression as well. On two different meds to cope. I've also got severe anxiety to deal with on a daily basis. Take care of yourself and know that you aren't alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
Wow....sorry guy. I'm 60 as well and plan on retirement at 62. So far I've suffered a heart attack a couple of years ago. With a little luck I will live long enough to enjoy my retirement.
Hang in there. I suffer depression as well. On two different meds to cope. I've also got severe anxiety to deal with daily as well. Take care of yourself and know that you aren't alone.
Thanks andrew. I think my life was just constant glue and bandaids had to keep my lover of 17 years and two daughters able to function. My younger daughter died 12 weeks ago and sent my lover into an eating disorder hospital for maybe the 8th time. She is 20 years younger than I am.. its been a struggle keeping her going. My daughter had severe mental health issues since she was 6. She died at 29 on my couch. That kind of tore me apart. Its been rough. Scott

Thanks andrew. I think my life was just constant glue and bandaids had to keep my lover of 17 years and two daughters able to function. My younger daughter died 12 weeks ago and sent my lover into an eating disorder hospital for maybe the 8th time. She is 20 years younger than I am.. its been a struggle keeping her going. My daughter had severe mental health issues since she was 6. She died at 29 on my couch. That kind of tore me apart. Its been rough. Scott
Oh my gosh. How terrible. You've been through the wringer. For what it is worth to you, I will send a prayer your way.

Back