Don't ask a person from the rural Midwest what day it is

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Great little picture.

My great grandfather grew seven different crops annually, raised hogs, cattle, and chicken, and had fruit orchards on his 240 acres. Never had a loan on the property, never had a boom or bust year (seven crops mean if three fail, four still produce income), never took a day off, or went on vacation. Yet, I suspect he lived a full and productive life.

350123189_735843938544813_4322115843393380030_n.jpg

Last edited:
When I was a kid, I didn't understand that not everyone works 7 days/week. From the beginning of planting season to the end of harvest season, the norm was 7 days/week and 12-14 hours/day. We also had lots of livestock, so even during the winter we worked 7 days/week. It was just what you did, because the work had to get done.

Great little picture.

My great grandfather grew seven different crops annually, raised hogs, cattle, and chicken, and had fruit orchards on his 240 acres. Never had a loan on the property, never had a boom or bust year (seven crops mean if three fail, four still produce income), never took a day off, or went on vacation. Yet, I suspect he lived a full and productive life.

View attachment 159047
My grandparents were cotton farmers - and oh my - if you think the walking to school stories from your parents are rough - grandparents generation picked by hand …

This makes me want to ask the question to those way more knowledgeable than I ; How many corporate owned farms are now in America. It seems that in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska, many family farms have been sold to corporate owners who are farming them on a mass scale.

Sounds like Silicon Valley... At crunch time 24/7 and then some. Having said that, I wouldn't pretend to compare punching computer keys and attending meeting is an air conditioned office to farm work...

No, farm work is much more relaxing and fun. I'm an Iowa boy who made a decent living in high school, and now am a professional...lived both lives ;-)

If you think that your job 'owns' you and dictates your life.... go find a YouTube channel for a small family owned dairy farm, and see how much time and effort that a herd of dairy cows demands every day of the week... morning AND evening... The one word that you will hear over and over and over and over is "chores". And chores means the cows.

Not only do they have to take care of the cows, they have to grow food for the cows on the side... hay, corn, peas... whatever the cows will eat. So, not only are they tending to animals, they're tending to crops in the field. Plus, some of the crops raised in the field have to also be stockpiled for the winter months.

The one channel that I watch, the guy farms with nothing but 40-60 year old tractors and implements, that he routinely fixes himself. No shiny new John Deere as in the picture above.

This makes me want to ask the question to those way more knowledgeable than I ; How many corporate owned farms are now in America. It seems that in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska, many family farms have been sold to corporate owners who are farming them on a mass scale.
I’m covered up with farming here - and it’s hard to tell one from the other - some have become wealthy (3rd gen+) family farms - get Ag degrees at A&M - and over time become a company with an office in town with folks working screens for commodities etc - farmer or business people ?

If you think that your job 'owns' you and dictates your life.... go find a YouTube channel for a small family owned dairy farm, and see how much time and effort that a herd of dairy cows demands every day of the week... morning AND evening... The one word that you will hear over and over and over and over is "chores". And chores means the cows.

Not only do they have to take care of the cows, they have to grow food for the cows on the side... hay, corn, peas... whatever the cows will eat. So, not only are they tending to animals, they're tending to crops in the field. Plus, some of the crops raised in the field have to also be stockpiled for the winter months.

The one channel that I watch, the guy farms with nothing but 40-60 year old tractors and implements, that he routinely fixes himself. No shiny new John Deere as in the picture above.
We have a good friend in the small family owned dairy farm business.

It's her parents farm, all she knew growing up. Went out into the "corporate world" and it just wasn't for her. Farming is a lifestyle, it's not for everyone, but it is for some.

We have a good friend in the small family owned dairy farm business.

It's her parents farm, all she knew growing up. Went out into the "corporate world" and it just wasn't for her. Farming is a lifestyle, it's not for everyone, but it is for some.
Very, very tough lifestyle. Cows have issues if they don't get milked on schedule.

I’m covered up with farming here - and it’s hard to tell one from the other - some have become wealthy (3rd gen+) family farms - get Ag degrees at A&M - and over time become a company with an office in town with folks working screens for commodities etc - farmer or business people ?
I suspect in Texas 3rd generation farmers had lots of ways to generate wealth, from selling oil rights, receivijg royalties, to selling parcels of the property for development.

When you work from home or are a farmer everyday blends in and you really don't need to know what day it is.
Other people tell you when the holidays are coming.
All of my grandparents were farmers and many generations before them. The only day of the week that they were always aware of was Sunday. They were absolutely fastidious about attending church every Sunday, regardless of anything else. Quaker, Mennonite and Baptist background.

I suspect in Texas 3rd generation farmers had lots of ways to generate wealth, from selling oil rights, receivijg royalties, to selling parcels of the property for development.
Yes - and the state gives extra tax breaks for helping the native critters - like if you move your crop - or livestock for a while to let others species do their thing … the soil recovers - all that …
Most CPA’s here are experts at this stuff …

Growing cash crops isn't too bad a deal now though, in the good years anyways. The ideal is 2 weeks of long days for planting and 2 weeks during harvest, maybe some spraying days in between. They make sure the equipment is good to go in between planting and harvest, and maintain your buildings and silos if you have any. Get everything cleaned up in a couple weeks after harvest and go down south for a couple months.
Almost no cash crop farms here have any livestock of any sort, and many dairy and livestock farms do some cash cropping because they can save on feed and its worth the extra time and effort since they are tied to the farm everyday anyways.
30 years ago here, lots of farmers still had a "traditional" farm where its 7 days a week of chores twice a day with even two types of livestock plus growing some cash crops, but that's was disappearing fast then, and pretty rare now, most have specialized.

I had an opportunity to have this life, but chose the corporate world.

Although Ive been successful to date, I ask myself if I made the right move every day of my life.

As a child, I lived with my parents in "suburbia," or maybe "rural," depending upon your perspective. We were in a small, new home development, but I was a grown man before the street was finally paved and they had an address other than "Rural Route #2, Box 351." I had an uncle who I lived with through 6th grade (for the fun of it, per my parents). My uncle was a redneck, and that terminology is high praise. He was a hog farmer, an oil well rig hand & oil well owner, a Federal prison guard, a deacon at the local Methodist church, and a very avid hunter and fisherman, all at the same time. I think he lived outdoors. Somehow, in his "spare" time, he found (or made) time to take me fishing, gave me a dog, bought me a bicycle, and we went to church on Sunday, regardless of what went wrong any other day. Church was a 3 block walk away, and the post office a block the other way. One gas station in town.

My uncle loved me and I him. My best childhood memories have Uncle **** in the middle of them. There was a deep freeze on the back porch that you could have fit a small car into (lengthwise). There was beef, pork, chicken, turkey, pheasant, quail, venison, elk, squirrel, rabbit, trout and I'm not sure what else in that locker. They kept a small white porcelain bowl on the dining room table. If you're eating dinner and you bite down on a piece of lead shot, just pass the bowl, spit the shot out and keep eating. Looking back, I'm not sure if he would have known what a "vacation" was, but I think his life was well lived, and he was most certainly well thought of in that small town. I think most people in the town came to his funeral, and my children saw me cry that day.

Although Ive been successful to date, I ask myself if I made the right move every day of my life.

I'm mid career, what most would consider pretty successful, but I still ask myself this.

Wow, I've done labor and I done desk jobs. Gimme the easy path any day.
No to mention pretty much everyone I know that worked labor has health issues; lotta bad backs.

Back