Done w/ protein bars, need alternate source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Middle age gym rat can't stomach bars anymore, shakes too inconvenient. Looking for non-processed source of supplemental protein. Really want to avoid whey and soy. Already switched to hard boiled eggs but looking for other sources. I was only supplementing 40 grams a day off bars, so that's all I'm looking to replace with whole food options. Any suggestions are welcome.

Chicken, beef, fish eggs, beans, rice. I love a well done 6 egg omelet frittata thing with meats and veggies, it's even ok for reheating. I do limit myself to 2 yolks though.

I gave up on whey shakes.

beans! Get a good cajun red beans recipe. They taste delicious and have a lot of protein in them. Cook a nice big pot up an refrigerate them. Have you a nice big bowl whenever you get back from the gym!

If you can still tolerate huge quantities of milk, i say do so. Basically use it for all daily hydration but during really aerobic activities and instances where you cant store it. Studies continue to show milk has some of the best anti inflammatory compounds for so cheap. Getting older means getting sore. I think as adults we consume less and less (no more lucky charms, no chocolate milk at dinner table, etc.) it still has its place. Let's stay away from the organic/hormones/USA is killing us slowly discussion...water is better but water has no protein which is what OP is looking for

Last edited:
Hard boiled eggs. They go everywhere...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
beans! Get a good cajun red beans recipe. They taste delicious and have a lot of protein in them. Cook a nice big pot up an refrigerate them. Have you a nice big bowl whenever you get back from the gym!

bingo!

what did they do back before this reliance on animal protein? beans and legumes! pair it with a grain like rice or quinoa and you have a complete protein that's far cheaper than animal protein (the good quality stuff that is)

wanna forgo the farts and harshness of trying to break it down? use an enzyme pill once a day. You'll skip the gas, flush your colon and allow your digestive system a chance to "rest" after years of overstressing it with animal protein. Trust me, your workouts will take on a whole new aspect. you'll be leaner, you'll sleep better and your cholesterol and blood work will be far better than you imagined

40g is right at one can of tuna. I use that often. Trick is to keep a strainer handy and rinse/press it a few times before eating to get the excess sodium and general canned/fishy taste out. Also if you do that rinse/press it makes your tuna salad way tastier if you make that. I season it (and many things) with salt substitute not because I have a bp issue, but to balance sodium and try to get the more ideal 3:2 Potassium/Sodium ratio daily.

Another thing I do is buy bulk cheap chicken breasts. Every few days I cut them into strips/nuggets, toss them in a mix of home-made rub and corn meal or almond flour and nutritional yeast. Fry them in very lightly greased pan. Put them in containers and use as snacks and light meals. This serves me well to get quality protein, tasty, no wheat. Plus then they are in the fridge and if I want a fast meal, I can chop some spinach, add another veg or so, and get a quality light dinner fast.

I also make my own and eat a lot of hummus, which you can make for a fraction of the cheapest you can buy and it tastes WAY better.

Last edited:
Dry roasted nuts, particularly almonds, cashews, and pistachios. They are packed with protein and good fats and are easy to keep on you at all times and munch on throughout the day.

I'd say:
Canned Tuna/salmon/chicken
Chicken breasts..on salad/toast or with veggies
Nuts (almonds,walnuts and brazil)
Cheese
Greek Yogurt (get plain 0% add a bit of honey or jam or fruit)
Beans also good
Steak, extra lean ground beef..prepared in many ways
Idea proposed about making your own hummus is also excellent.
Milk/chocolate milk post workout
Pork loin/tenderloin

Not trying to be negative..but not sure how shakes are not convenient..i put protein/oatmeal/fruit/water in a blender every morning for a shake on my way to work. Or take chocolate protein mix with water, a banana and scoop of peanut butter...mmm mmm..but yeah non shake ideas are above. Tons of proteins on market that are not whey/soy based. Good luck!

Best source would be skim milk and eggwhite.

Buy the eggwhite in quart containers..about $4.25. You can mix a quart of milk with a quart whites...put in cinnamon (1/3 tsp) and say vanilla (1/2 tsp) and say 4 packs splenda.

A cup is about 20 grams of protien and 100 calories.

Whats your issue with soy? I can understand maybe not using whey. But nothing wrong with either. They both have all the essential proteins.

I personally use the whey/soy powder. You can usually get it on sale.I mix one scoop with 8oz milk. Thats 20 grams.

Sure its best to get it from natural foods. But its hard without adding too much fat and some of the things don't have all 9 essential proteins.

Last edited:
I've taken an extremely low carb approach (30 carbs or less per day) at first to avoid cholesterol reducing drugs so I've gotten creative with non-carb on-the-go food. Turkey bacon, mixed nuts, hard cheeses, pork rinds, homemade cured meats (lonza, cured turkey, beef jerky, etc), celery sticks, etc.

I know you said you're done with shakes but have you considered using a shaker? I work out before work so I use it to make breakfast shake (powder added night before) when I get to the office. I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back