Done w/ protein bars, need alternate source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tstep
I've taken an extremely low carb approach (30 carbs or less per day) at first to avoid cholesterol reducing drugs so I've gotten creative with non-carb on-the-go food. Turkey bacon, mixed nuts, hard cheeses, pork rinds, homemade cured meats (lonza, cured turkey, beef jerky, etc), celery sticks, etc.

Ketogenic diet. It works...but after a month or so it will start to become very limiting and boring.

I can last approximately two weeks on that diet before I go nuts. I've done it twice in my life and no matter how hard I try (and I have a lot of willpower), I just can't stay on it.

My numbers and weight are all real good anyway. I think that the human body is designed to eat carbs...just not empty carbs. I'll stick to my low saturated fat diet and semi-Mediteranian/Asian eating style.

Costco up here sells these oven roasted chicken breast pieces which I like a lot, and stuff like that is a delicious way to get your protein after a workout. For me, I also like to have a glass of chocolate milk or a handful of almonds or cashews. I've never been a protein bar or protein shake person at all.

pinty_strips01.jpg

This is the type of chicken I'm talking about. They are precooked so you can eat them cold out of the fridge or just pop a few pieces into the microwave for a quick snack.

Originally Posted By: Patman
pinty_strips01.jpg

This is the type of chicken I'm talking about. They are precooked so you can eat them cold out of the fridge or just pop a few pieces into the microwave for a quick snack.
How much you pay for that 2.2046lbs.

I would like to add to what's already been said that supplementing 40 g protein exclusively with nuts would be problematic due to nuts containing roughly twice as much fat as protein by weight. If you eat nuts worth 40 g of protein, you are also eating at least 80 g worth of fat, which is almost equal to a 3/4 stick of butter. While I eat nuts and seeds religiously, I do not eat more than about about half a cup per day.

hotwheels

article-2173385-140F95DB000005DC-495_306x423.jpg

Ate too many nuts and seeds and can not longer escape into tight holes!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Middle age gym rat can't stomach bars anymore, shakes too inconvenient. Looking for non-processed source of supplemental protein. Really want to avoid whey and soy. Already switched to hard boiled eggs but looking for other sources. I was only supplementing 40 grams a day off bars, so that's all I'm looking to replace with whole food options. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sounds like you and I are similar in some ways. I purchased an electric smoker with a glass door. I go to Costco and purchase wild Salmon, other wild fishes and organic chicken. Cram the smoker full and mesquite (small chips) smoke it. No idea how many pounds, but it's quite substantial. I then separate it into meal sized portions and vacuum pack 'em. Then fill up my chest freezer.

I find that fish protein does well with me. Digests easily and is trouble free. Plus I absolutely love the taste.

Is it worth the effort? You bet!!!!! It's soooooo good and I have no issues with it. I've not been able to purchase anything similar. Plus it lasts me a month!

Look at botthouse farms chai tea drink. Tastes awesome and 10 grams of protein per serving.
Walmart has them.

Vanilla chai tea I think it's called. It is a soy drink that actually tastes good

Egg Beaters scrambled egg products in the cartons. Or their egg white product, make a big ommelete or scrambled eggs quickly.
Then, lean nitrite-free deli ham, low or no-fat cottage cheese, drink soy milk (Silk brand tastes good), chicken breast, lean pulled pork, beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back