Donaldson filter question

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and ordering Donaldson P577066 from a local truck fleet supply. I've confirmed with Donaldson directly that they're on national back order until May, but I can wait. My question is, since I don't always full grasp efficiency calculations, are the specifications for this filter good? 50% at 6 microns seems good to me.

Donaldson P577066

p577066.700.700.jpg

They make a quality filter, all the used Donaldson's filters I've cut open from my truck (DBL's) & tractor (standard) have looked great.
Thanks, appreciate the input. I might place an order for a few of these. I've been checking around and one of the fleet places in town told me they can cross it over to a B7449 Baldwin for a similar price.

Again, I'm not really good at reading some of these specifications. Is this a decent filter for automotive application?

Thanks, appreciate the input. I might place an order for a few of these. I've been checking around and one of the fleet places in town told me they can cross it over to a B7449 Baldwin for a similar price.

Again, I'm not really good at reading some of these specifications. Is this a decent filter for automotive application?

Baldwin specs say efficiency is 9.8 Nominal; 27 Absolute.

That's 99% @ 27 mictons and 50% @ 9.8 mircrons.

"Nominal" efficiency is 50%.
"Absolute" efficiency is 98.7% (call it 99%).

The Donaldson is better at 50% efficiency, so it's got to also be better at 99%, even though Donaldson doesnt show the Absolute efficiency.

Baldwin specs say efficiency is 9.8 Nominal; 27 Absolute.

That's 99% @ 27 mictons and 50% @ 9.8 mircrons.

"Nominal" efficiency is 50%.
"Absolute" efficiency is 98.7% (call it 99%).

The Donaldson is better at 50% efficiency, so it's got to also be better at 99%, even though Donaldson doesnt show the Absolute efficiency.
Thanks for the explanation. That was my thought regarding the Donaldson, so I think that's what I'll go with.

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and ordering Donaldson P577066 from a local truck fleet supply. I've confirmed with Donaldson directly that they're on national back order until May, but I can wait. My question is, since I don't always full grasp efficiency calculations, are the specifications for this filter good? 50% at 6 microns seems good to me.

Donaldson P577066

p577066.700.700.jpg
Do it! Donaldson air and oil filters are the quality Americans demand today. Like the Baldwin, the nominal white Donaldson filter (shown) has a cellulose filtration element -- just better construction, IMHO.

Personally, I'd steer clear of Baldwin and use a NAPA Gold 7502 filter as your stop-gap measure. I do not believe their quality is overly compromised -- yet. Moreover, you can accomplish on-the-spot filter inspections if you pick them up at the store.

7502.JPG

The Donaldson brand and the NAPA Gold filter line are great.

Last edited:
I was just looking into the Donaldson filters yesterday but stopped looking because the filtration and burst pressure wasn't something i considered as "good".I might be wrong though... P502007 filter specs Here's a link to a honda spec filter that says 95% @ 40micron and a burst pressure of 100psi.I know my old honda regular saw 100psi cold start up pressures in the winter ,so that's kinda scary.

I was just looking into the Donaldson filters yesterday but stopped looking because the filtration and burst pressure wasn't something i considered as "good".I might be wrong though... P502007 filter specs Here's a link to a honda spec filter that says 95% @ 40micron and a burst pressure of 100psi.I know my old honda regular saw 100psi cold start up pressures in the winter ,so that's kinda scary.
Their cellulose filters have average filtration, it's their Synteq filters that have extremely good filtration.

If you have questions about the burst (collapse) pressure listed, may want to ask them, it may be the rating for the centre tube under differential pressure, not the can.

Last edited:
They call it "Collapse Burst" of 100 psi (6.9 bar). That sounds more like the pressure it would take to collapse the center tube. I can't believe anyone would build an oil filter that had a can burst pressure of 100 psi. 95% @ 40 microns isn't great efficiency compared to other filters.

Last edited:
They call it "Collapse Burst" of 100 psi (6.9 bar). That sounds more like the pressure it would take to collapse the center tube. I can't believe anyone would build an oil filter that had a can burst pressure of 100 psi. 95% @ 40 microns isn't great efficiency compared to other filters.
Yes, the efficiency of this particular Donaldson filter, and its full line of these, do mention that 40-micron figure. I've seen this before, but it's been a few years. And yes, this filter line uses a paper filter element.

It's constructed well and filters oil, but its efficiency is obviously nothing to write home about. Fleet vehicles by thousands use this line and survive to work another day, week, year and decade.

Last edited:
Yes, the efficiency of this particular Donaldson filter, and its full line of these, do mention that 40-micron figure. I've seen this before, but it's been a few years. And yes, this filter line uses a paper filter element.

It's constructed well and filters oil, but its efficiency is obviously nothing to write home about. Fleet vehicles by thousands use this line and survive to work another day, week, year and decade.
Unfortunately, the only efficiency data provided is 50% at 6µ, so you could only guess or extrapolate efficiency at 20, 25 or 30µ based off of that figure.

Unfortunately, the only efficiency data provided is 50% at 6µ, so you could only guess or extrapolate efficiency at 20, 25 or 30µ based off of that figure.
You could try to contact Donaldson and ask them what the efficiency is at 20u. My guess is if it's 50% @ 6u it's going to be around 90% to 95% @ 20u, which isn't too bad.

You could try to contact Donaldson and ask them what the efficiency is at 20u. My guess is if it's 50% @ 6u it's going to be around 90% to 95% @ 20u, which isn't too bad.
Could be, I suppose. Although, that mentioned 40-micron rating for the paper filters sticks in my head for some reason. Perhaps they've upgraded their media to a blend. Could be...

Nevertheless, I've never heard a complaint concerning a Donaldson filter. When I worked on the North Slope of Alaska, they were used and were commonplace. They certainly operate in one of the coldest environments known to Mankind and are a top-notch, reliable product.

Last edited:
Could be, I suppose. Although, that mentioned 40-micron rating for the paper filters sticks in my head for some reason. Perhaps they've upgraded their media to a blend. Could be...
The Donaldson that showed the 95% @ 40u has to have a different, much less efficient media. That one also shows 50% @ 23u, which is a far cry from 50% @ 6u.

The Donaldson that showed the 95% @ 40u has to have a different, much less efficient media. That one also shows 50% @ 23u, which is a far cry from 50% @ 6u.
Right, I think you nailed it. You have to do a little digging, but you can find Donaldson cross referenced oil filters for motor vehicle duty. Based on my (admittedly not exhaustive) research, the filters you see with efficiency at 95% at 40u are spin on lube filter for hydraulic oil applications and things of that nature. They have entirely different demands for flow, pressure, and efficiency, making them inappropriate for motor vehicle use.

Right, I think you nailed it. You have to do a little digging, but you can find Donaldson cross referenced oil filters for motor vehicle duty. Based on my (admittedly not exhaustive) research, the filters you see with efficiency at 95% at 40u are spin on lube filter for hydraulic oil applications and things of that nature. They have entirely different demands for flow, pressure, and efficiency, making them inappropriate for motor vehicle use.
Could be ... but I thought filters for hydraulic applications were pretty efficient, more than 95% @ 40u but I could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️

Dont forget about the Fleetguard LF9028, a tad pricey but excellent filter.
I use the LF16035 or Doanaldson DBL7349 only on my 6.7 Cummins.
Please educate me if I'm wrong, but I always shied away from the Fleetguards simply because they are diesel engine filters and don't share some of the required specs. But maybe it doesn't matter?

Not quite sure of your application but for me, Cummins owns Fleetguard and that's what they put on their engines, so I use them or Donaldson only now on my Cummins.

Back