Dollar General Stores

While my post is a bit of an edit it was the nuts & bolts of what I collected from it (the post). There really are people out here like that... I know.

I was at a DG in western New Kent county near me. saw a lady who was literally 4 ft 6 inches tall and I’d bet she weighed maybe 65 pounds… She had a 20 pound bag of cat litter and she was struggling to pick it up for the cashier to scan. So I helped her and picked it for her. She was pretty and probably in her late 30s or early 40s.

Circus midget short … Wild man… You never who you are going to see at DG.

I'm willing to bet there's a lot of uninformed, "I heard" comments about DG here. Like almost all stores, they do sell their own branded stuff (and some of it is just fine quality) but also sell national, name-brand products and the prices are lower than the small-town grocery store we have or CVS across the street.
This is my exact experience. We go enough that we know the manager and worker guy and they treat us very well.

I stop into a DG once in a while for the convenience. While not poor I blend in easily with the usual clientele there.
I blend in well. My wife...she doesn't blend in well. LOL. They pick her out in a second. If she went to the laundromat she'd hear, "What's the matter, sweetie, did your washing machine break?"

We have lots of shopping options including DG. We never go into the one close to our home because it's a mess. Always pallets blocking the isles with stuff everywhere. I don't need to deal with that and the slow service.

An 8 pack of AA's if alkaline, are expensive everywhere these days.
True, but they can vary widely in prices. You pay for the convenience if you're buying them at dollar stores or even at places like Walgreens.

For the record, I don't know how individual stores set their prices, or if they're totally at the whim of local management.

True, but they can vary widely in prices. You pay for the convenience if you're buying them at dollar stores or even at places like Walgreens.

For the record, I don't know how individual stores set their prices, or if they're totally at the whim of local management.
DG is a dictatorship

Guaranteed they market analyse exactly what they can get away with based on how far and what the locals will tolerate .

When I’ve been in very poor areas all the dollar store stuff came off the pallet expired.

Per those working there… The management would ship all the expired stuff from the better areas to the poor areas because folks there didn’t care. Dollar stores used to buy expired goods from other stores to stock shelves (oddly my area has a store that only sells expired goods on purpose)

In Michigan one of the dollar generals only had one employee and they had stuff that could spoil clogging the aisles but nobody to put it in the fridge freezer, some random dudes shopping there started putting food away because the products they wanted were blocked behind rows of tall pallets.

I don't recommend buying food at DG, but if you do check the labels, it is not uncommon to find food processed or grown in China.

There was a story a few years ago about garlic in china being peeled by prisoners to the point where their fingernails came off because they were forced to work all day. With no fingernails the prisoners started pealing the garlic with their teeth. Welp, if you find a fingernail in your jar of garlic, I warned you!

Last edited:
Guaranteed they market analyse exactly what they can get away with based on how far and what the locals will tolerate .

When I’ve been in very poor areas all the dollar store stuff came off the pallet expired.
Sounds like you're describing the local grocery store here. They are caught time after time selling expired items or spoiled items still on their shelves.... Then they blame it on "staffing issues". They pay minimum wage while the fast food places in the same parking lot pay $3-4 more per hour so uhhhh, their staffing issues are their own fault ! Their turnover of workers is constant too. They also portray themselves as "your local, hometown grocery" when they're part of a regional grocery store chain with headquarters 150 miles away. There was a discussion on the local FB group about this and I pointed out that Kroger is more "local" than they are !! It's 40 miles away....

I do sometimes feel bad for the store though. We don't go grocery shopping there because of their prices. Most people don't either, so it's a vicious cycle for them. They need to sell more products in order to be able to lower prices but they can't sell more because of their high prices.

Sounds like you're describing the local grocery store here. They are caught time after time selling expired items or spoiled items still on their shelves.... Then they blame it on "staffing issues". They pay minimum wage while the fast food places in the same parking lot pay $3-4 more per hour so uhhhh, their staffing issues are their own fault ! Their turnover of workers is constant too. They also portray themselves as "your local, hometown grocery" when they're part of a regional grocery store chain with headquarters 150 miles away. There was a discussion on the local FB group about this and I pointed out that Kroger is more "local" than they are !! It's 40 miles away....

I do sometimes feel bad for the store though. We don't go grocery shopping there because of their prices. Most people don't either, so it's a vicious cycle for them. They need to sell more products in order to be able to lower prices but they can't sell more because of their high prices.

The solution our poverty grocery stores have is to only sell frozen and canned with extremely limited selection of fresh.

People complain about a lack of healthy options but people apparently like Dinty Moore, sweet sue and ramen

DG is a dictatorship

Per those working there… The management would ship all the expired stuff from the better areas to the poor areas because folks there didn’t care. Dollar stores used to buy expired goods from other stores to stock shelves (oddly my area has a store that only sells expired goods on purpose)

In Michigan one of the dollar generals only had one employee and they had stuff that could spoil clogging the aisles but nobody to put it in the fridge freezer, some random dudes shopping there started putting food away because the products they wanted were blocked behind rows of tall pallets.

I don’t know what DG you went into… The Taj Mahal DG ?

But every single one have gone into have ZERO room for pallets on their sales floors… No room at all for that…

Hell the ones I go into they unload the 18 wheeler truck outside the store and pull off their stores stock and stacks the boxes on long carts…. Then the pull them inside the store.

Those long carts are what have blocked any aisle when I go into a DG. Not full sized pallets… Way, way too small for that. Not happening.

I feel bad for the people working at DG because that’s a hell of a lot more work vs what I did at Winn Dixie or even Food Lion.. We pulled whole pallets into those stores… And we did that inside of the back room …. Not out in a darn parking lot…

Mostly unhealthy food, poor quality merchandise, comparably lower pay for workers, high number of workplace safety violations. What's not to like?

We've gone in them when traveling to grab something or other because it's close and they always look messy and are usually understaffed. Never go in them around home unless wife wants a cheap gift bag or something.

I'm retiring (hopefully) in a little over a year. I might have to save some money by checking DG out now and then. I think I've only been in one once a few years ago. Didn't much care for it.

I'm retiring (hopefully) in a little over a year. I might have to save some money by checking DG out now and then. I think I've only been in one once a few years ago. Didn't much care for it.
I am not sure money can be saved at DG when compared to a wal mart. Major/significant savings can be had shopping DG when compared to a gas station convenience store.

I am not sure money can be saved at DG when compared to a wal mart. Major/significant savings can be had shopping DG when compared to a gas station convenience store.
Yeah....Walmart is close by. I'm not a big fan of going there for anything other than oil, but when I retire it will certainly be on my shopping list.

Just as another thought on this kind of thing-

One of the videos posted in this thread talks about the $1 bottle of Tide, and how much more expensive per ounce it is than a $10 or so bottle at Wal-Mart.

I think, then, of a situation we were in last summer where we'd traveled and met my wife's family at a rented house in Florida for a week. Normally we wouldn't think of doing laundry, but with-in this case-two babies there(our son and my sister-in-law's) we did more than a little bit, but didn't think to pack detergent(our failing).

As it so happened, we had driven this trip and had plenty of space for the return. So, it made perfect sense for us to go to Wal-Mart and buy a big bottle of the what we normally use at home and then bring the rest back.

If we'd flown, though, chances are whatever we didn't use that week would have been disposed of. Maybe we'd have asked around to see if anyone else around us wanted it, but there would have also been a decent chance it would have ended up in the garbage. I don't think any of us want to deal with the risk of a 1 gallon bottle of detergent leaking or the extra weight in our luggage.

So, what would have been the smarter purchase knowing that we would be throwing away whatever we didn't use in a week? The $1 DG bottle or the $10 Wal-Mart bottle? That's a no brainer to me, even if we ended up having to buy a second $1 bottle, or even if we'd bought a smaller bottle at Wal-Mart.

That's just one example I can think of, but sometimes buying the amount you actually need, even if it means spending more per unit, is the smarter choice...

Back