Dollar General Stores

Do you like them or not? I realize it is a bunch of cheap Chinese crap, for the most part and selection is limited.
We have one here and it is OK.

Town where I grew up is about 850 residents. Grocery and drug stores both closed years ago. Only choice was a Casey's General Store.

DG came to town and built a store. They have been a God send for that small community. At least you can get basics there and not pay Casey's prices.
Otherwise, they had to drive 18 miles to the closest sizeable town.

Dollar General is focusing a lot on rural towns because big retail like Walmart have no interest in a small area.

Compare prices of the same items at DG vs a convenience store. Not the same... by a long shot.
Only I get to decide what’s convenient - it ain’t standing inline behind scratch off fools just to overpay … Park just as close - grab name brand charcoal - and gone in minutes …

Last edited:
Dollar General is focusing a lot on rural towns because big retail like Walmart have no interest in a small area.
I have seen them build in small communities near the bays/gulf - and they get them up plenty high with significant dirt work …
Walmart is at least 20 miles away …

I bought the $1 turkey baster to suck out brake fluid from the reservoir at Dollar General. It seems to be worth its price. Unless the brake fluid melts it. But says dishwasher safe and if it can withstand the hot water and strong dishwasher detergent it should be able to withstand brake fluid.

Only I get to decide what’s convenient - it ain’t standing inline behind scratch off fools just to overpay … Park just as close - grab name brand charcoal - and gone in minutes …
You've never been in a Dollar General, have you ? Never seen a DG that sells lottery tickets and I've been in DGs in a few different states.

Coincidentally, I was talking to my mom this afternoon and the big news from her hometown-a tiny rural community straddling the Shelby and Spencer county lines in Kentucky-is that a Dollar General had just opened. I looked a bit on Facebook(somehow or another I'd missed the news) and even my cousins who are closer to my age and who live there are excited about it.

Although I never lived in this little town-and for that matter by the time I came along even my grandparents had moved "into town"(meaning Shelbyville KY in this case, not exactly a thriving metropolis then or now) but I still fee a lot of ties to this town through family. The last little home town grocery store/general store/gas station/restaurant/checkers playing spot blew up(quite literally from a natural gas leak) about a decade ago. People living there have Wal-Mart and Kroger in Shelbyville or Taylorsville, either about a half hour a way. For "real" shopping they do have Louisville, but it's an hour+ away and for a lot of folks would be a once every few months trip.

Looking around a bit, the Dollar General really has been met with a lot of excitement.

The little town my dad grew up in-on the outskirts of Franklin County, KY-would likely be a prime candidate too for one. The last time I was out that way, a friend of mine and I were headed out to fish and we stopped at the town "grocery" to get some bait and soft drinks. Doing that was my idea, but we kind of regretted it as a tub of night crawlers was double what we'd have spent closer to home and a 12 pack of coke was $8 or so in 2017 money, although amazingly enough final total was under $10 after I struck up conversation with a relative who was in there hanging out. I guess being related to a regular made me "not an outsider" and unlocked the "local discount." Still, though, it was probably double what we'd have paid at Wal-Mart. They did sell gas also, but it was 50¢/gallon more than in town. I think that one was easily justified, though, since I'd heard at one time that they bought in such small volumes and were far enough out of the way that the store probably easily paid 20-30¢ more than what any station in town might pay.

Reactions: hrv
You've never been in a Dollar General, have you ? Never seen a DG that sells lottery tickets and I've been in DGs in a few different states.
Really - Dozens of times - maybe a dozen DG’s …
But never stood in line at any DG waiting on scratch off fools …
The corner store - almost every time …

One takeaway in this thread is that not all Dollar General stores are the same. DG store locations vary from inner city to remote rural areas. It is likely ok to assume DG employees are very low paid, some DG employees give it their best effort regardless of the pay and workload, other likely don't. The employees are likely one of the key reason DG stores very so much in organization, clutter, and cleanliness.

One takeaway in this thread is that not all Dollar General stores are the same. DG store locations vary from inner city to remote rural areas. It is likely ok to assume DG employees are very low paid, some DG employees give it their best effort regardless of the pay and workload, other likely don't. The employees are likely one of the key reason DG stores very so much in organization, clutter, and cleanliness.
Our DG has a bell at the register bcs they are stocking shelves when no one is at checkout … DG works lean in some places …

Last edited:
Our DG has a bell at the register bcs they are stocking shelves when no one is at checkout … DG works lean in some places …
Some employees have said that the corporate rule or policy is no more than (2) employees per shift plus a manager. Based on my experience from going to stores, this seems to be very likely true. It explains why there are always cart after cart of new stock that needs put on shelves.

Reactions: 4WD
Do you like them or not? I realize it is a bunch of cheap Chinese crap, for the most part and selection is limited.
We have one here and it is OK.

Town where I grew up is about 850 residents. Grocery and drug stores both closed years ago. Only choice was a Casey's General Store.

DG came to town and built a store. They have been a God send for that small community. At least you can get basics there and not pay Casey's prices.
Otherwise, they had to drive 18 miles to the closest sizeable town.
I live just outside of a college town. I my choice is to drive (10ish minutes) to a packed Walmart to save $2 (maybe), or spend the extra $0.20 on my coffee, and drive a mile down the road.
My time is worth more than the "savings".
So yes for me I like them for convenience.

Soon
1000000592.jpg

Back