Doing a UOA on a sitting car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My summer car doesn't seen *any* winter use and come spring time when I do my OC, I wanted to do a UOA but my only reservation to doing so is the fact that the car sits from oct-may.

Would I get inaccurate/altered results based on the circumstance mentioned above?

I would just warm it up driving for awhile, and then test. Or at the least run the engine for a little while. I would not just pull a sample after it's been sitting....

I did pull a sample off my Brothers truck that had sat for awhile one time. Had some moisture in the oil, but otherwise OK it came back OK. If I remember I don't think we ran it.

With the car sitting for that long you are going to be seeing extra moisture in the oil most likely. If you want to get slightly more accurate readings on the UOA you can drive it for a total of an hour or so after its warmed up on the highway to get all the moisture and even the old fuel dilution to boil off.

If you do it as it sits just know that the extra moisture is from the car sitting and will show up in the readings.

I would take it out for a highway drive 30-60mins. to get things warmed up the whole system flowing again make sure things are in working order before you take your sample. I would highly recommend it.

Matt

Yes, getting it up to temperature on the highway is part of the process of correctly draining the oil to be sent for UOA anyways per Blackstone recommendations.

Thanks guys, I'll do that. Maybe not on a highway run, but I'll definitely take it out for a few hours before giving the sample out to blackstone.

I just dont like to drive the show car on the highway
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back