Dogs in WalMart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Walmart is a "zoo" ... so why not any kind of animals?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Of all the concerning behaviors I see at Walmart, bringing dogs is not even in the top 10.

I loled hard at this. Seriously though I've seen human feces in a checkout line at a Walmart. Dunno why but someone just had to drop trow

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You can get a license for an emotional support animal or psychiatric service dogs.

I'm assuming most people don't have the license but the person at Walmart doesn't make enough to handle this issue.

I'm not up on the full laws of Florida, but in California emotional support animals are not granted the same 'go anywhere' rights a service dog is. If they are not a licensed service animal, they simply aren't allowed. But the law also prevents you from asking the owner anything beyond "is this a service dog?"

Last edited:
What's happening is that people are selfishly abusing the "Service Dog" rules in ADA. Businesses (including Uber for example) are required by law to accept SDs into their facilities (or cars-think about that next time you get in!). A service dog must receive training for a particular disability and is permitted. Now, the government in its infinite wisdom has created a lessor category called "Emotional Support" dog. Anyone can declare any dog an ES dog. The law then forces landlords to accept that dog in their rental property and airlines to allow them to fly free with their owner. ES dogs only qualify for these two specific concessions. However, people don't know the law so some dog owners get an ES certification then pawn them off as "service animals". It is disgusting really.

Learn more here: http://usdogregistry.org/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...mkGsxoCjBLw_wcB

Originally Posted By: RichardS

You can get a license for an emotional support animal or psychiatric service dogs.

I'm assuming most people don't have the license but the person at Walmart doesn't make enough to handle this issue.

I'm not up on the full laws of Florida, but in California emotional support animals are not granted the same 'go anywhere' rights a service dog is. If they are not a licensed service animal, they simply aren't allowed. But the law also prevents you from asking the owner anything beyond "is this a service dog?"

Not true. As the link above shows, the public or a business owner may as a person with a service animal two questions:

Your Disability and Public Knowledge
You are NOT allowed to be asked by an owner, manager, or other representative of a business what your disability is that allows you to have a service dog. That information is private and you do not have to disclose it to anyone if you are asked. The only information that may be asked is if it is a service dog, and what tasks the service dog is trained to perform for you. For example, if you have a mental illness that requires that you take medication and your service dog is trained to alert you when it is time to take your medication by tugging at your shirt, then you may explain the task your service dog performs, but you are not obligated to divulge the nature of your illness or disability.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Yeah it's Wallyworld but still.

Some of the horror stories that people have about Walmart reaffirm my decision not to do business there.

Hot in the car. Don't want busted window. Seems reasonable to me. Why bring them along in the first place?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I see it occasionally, but you do live in Cottonwood after all...

Are you saying that's expected out here?? Probably explains all the open carry I see there too.
My dad worked for ABC Body Shop in Cottonwood and lived in Jerome. He said Cottonwood was referred to as CottonWeird. He said it was a very strange town.

Your dad lived in Jerome and called Cottonwood strange? Being between Jerome and Sedonutz we're surrounded by weird.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I think dogs should be allowed everywhere people are. Not sure why they're not in the US.

Most people know enough to not relieve themselves on the floor and bite other customers.

Note that I said MOST...

People who think their dogs are everybody else's burden to bear drive me nuts.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I think dogs should be allowed everywhere people are. Not sure why they're not in the US.

Most people know enough to not relieve themselves on the floor and bite other customers.

Note that I said MOST...

People who think their dogs are everybody else's burden to bear drive me nuts.

The problem with dogs as you see them, are actually a problem with people.

Undisciplined people own undisciplined animals. When I lived in Germany never did I see a dog in a public place that was anything but well behaved. That included restaurants, malls, shopping centers, trains, etc...

Is it only a southwest thing or do people bring their dogs into Wallyworld everywhere? I probably go in there once a week and every time I see at least one dog in a cart or on a leash that obviously isn't a service dog. The staff does nothing, I asked the receipt checker about it once after following a lady with a dog on leash into the store. He said service dogs are allowed, I said do you really think that dog that just passed you is a service dog, he said he didn't know. Dogs in carts in the grocery section really shouldn't be allowed. Yeah it's Wallyworld but still.

In some states the employees are prevented from any type of questioning about whether a dog is really a service dog. I know it's like that in MA.

Do they have signs saying service animals only? Pet Smart encourages people to bring in dogs, maybe other animals.

I used to work at Dollar Tree (if the people of Walmart are interesting, the people of Dollar Tree are fascinating). I had many dogs come in; mostly little dogs riding in the cart. They never caused any issues.

My personal favorites: An iguana. It was chilling on the owners shoulder and he said as he walked to the register, "It's a service animal" like I was going to tell him to leave. The other was a monkey. Yes, a freaking monkey riding in the cart in the kid seat. She was eating caramel candy and was much better behaved than most of the kids that came in. When they left the store, they let her climb some trees outside for a while before leaving. It was quite entertaining to say the least.

Pets have no place in any establishment that sells food or medical supplies. Exception is true service animals who are labeled as such. "Comfort" animals on planes is another weird situation that shouldn't be allowed without a psychiatric Dr. pass. Ed

Pets have no place in any establishment that sells food or medical supplies. Exception is true service animals who are labeled as such. "Comfort" animals on planes is another weird situation that shouldn't be allowed without a psychiatric Dr. pass. Ed

I'm surprised in such a sue happy society that the stores even allow anything but recognizable service animals. In fact, there is a park near my town that doesn't allow dogs anymore because it is close to a children's play area.

I like dogs, but like someone else said it is the owner not the dog that I'm weary of. People can't even control their kids these days.

Originally Posted By: RichardS

Indeed and it is illegal to ask for proof. Unless the animal is defecating or uncontrollable the animal gets to stay inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back