Dog advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got our Schnauzer about 6 years ago. At that time, the vet estimated that he was probably anywhere from 7 to 9 yrs old. The typical life span for a Schnauzer is 14 yrs. Scooter has lost his top and bottom front teeth, and now is starting to lose his side teeth. He has very poor dental health. I don't have the money to spend on him, and can't imagine that he has many more days left in spite of his occasional burst of energy.
His current diet is dry food with the chewy bits of chicken or lamb. This keeps his poop hard and easy to clean up if he should have an accident in the house, which isn't often. Considering pouring a beef or chicken broth over his food to soften it or switch to a soft food. Hoping to avoid a poopy mess in the house if we switch to soft. Any suggestions on food choice?

Broth is full of sodium, don't do it. Add water or make your own stock from chicken bones/carcass. Start addin a little bit of yogurt. Just a tablespoon to start. If he does ok take it up to 1/4-1/3 a cup.

we have a schnauzer. approx. 5 yrs old now - it was a rescue and about 1 when we got her. She loves cantaloupe, salad, oranges, tangerines, apples, watermelon (not supposed to give them grapes). you might want to try that too.

Maybe find a dental lab technician that would donate their time to make a set of false teeth for your Schnauzer. Perhaps you can barter a trade that you know to offset the cost of the dentures.

The BARF diet reigns supreme over all else.
The testimonials are glowing.

From personal experience. I had a dog that was dying from an aggressive cancer and switched him over to the BARF diet.
Prior to that he was on a mixture of top quality dry food, and some cooked food which I prepared myself.
Within a couple of days of switching him over to the BARF diet, it was literally like turning the clock back a few years.
He eventually died of the cancer, but it definitely improved the quality of his remaining time, and I'm absolutely confident his life was also extended.

My current dog is on the diet, and is going at 110% with superb dental health.
If your dog has dental health issues, you need to reflect upon what you've been feeding him over his lifetime. Dental health issues are not the norm with a proper K9 diet.

BARF stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food or Bones And Raw Food.

Google it, and all will become clearer.
There are also books, but the internet obviously gives us the abridged version.

We can buy the patties here in OZ already prepared, I don't know about where you live.

Good luck

My dogs get mostly dry dog food, many Milk Bones and lots of marrow bones from the grocery store. Seems to keep the teeth in good shape.

But the situation with your dog now. Obviously as he looses teeth, he will need softer food.

Originally Posted By: Ducman

From personal experience. I had a dog that was dying from an aggressive cancer and switched him over to the BARF diet.
Prior to that he was on a mixture of top quality dry food, and some cooked food which I prepared myself.
Within a couple of days of switching him over to the BARF diet, it was literally like turning the clock back a few years.
He eventually died of the cancer, but it definitely improved the quality of his remaining time, and I'm absolutely confident his life was also extended.

If your dog has dental health issues, you need to reflect upon what you've been feeding him over his lifetime. Dental health issues are not the norm with a proper K9 diet.

We can buy the patties here in OZ already prepared, I don't know about where you live.

Good luck

Don't do this to a dog without teeth. He cannot handle bones. This diet is patterned on what wild canines eat, and your boy would be long dead in the wild, with his missing teeth.

Soak his food in water, or low sodium broth.

Consider cooking for your dog. My 3 terriers get baked chicken thighs, plus dry food. (I do not give them the bones.....My Vet would strangle me......She says, would you digest bones, raw or cooked? Why would you think your dog could?). Our Vets give their dogs macaroni and cheese, with browned beef mixed in.

I poor hot water over one of my dogs dry food just to increase her water intake. But it makes the food softer and she loves it. I put enough water in it that is like cereal. Some dogs do well with cottage cheese as well.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

Good luck

Don't do this to a dog without teeth. He cannot handle bones. This diet is patterned on what wild canines eat, and your boy would be long dead in the wild, with his missing teeth.

Consider cooking for your dog. My 3 terriers get baked chicken thighs, plus dry food. (I do not give them the bones.....My Vet would strangle me......She says, would you digest bones, raw or cooked? Why would you think your dog could?). Our Vets give their dogs macaroni and cheese, with browned beef mixed in.

The average Fido is far removed from a wild canine. In the OP's situation I would check to see if you have any Vets and Dental Techs in your area that are willing to donate their time Bono.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

Good luck

IMO. Somebody has their wires crossed.

The BARF, in terms of "Biologically" Appropriate Raw Food (taking the emphasis away from Bones) is easily swallowed and digested, and that is the relevant point for the OP.
My apologies for not making it clear in my previous post.

A study of the principals behind the BARF diet will reveal that it has a solid practical basis, and well proven to be beneficial under all circumstances.
Especially given that K9 biology hasn't changed in more than 30,000 years, regardless of what human kind has been feeding their K9 companions in terms of the ill-conceived, precooked and mass produced products which have been widely available since the last 50 or so years.
I have lived long enough to have witnessed the changes over the years in what people are typically feeding their dogs, and it hasn't been good.
Canned food has been the worst thing ever created for dogs in the last 40 or so years, and this has been recognised in some circles for the last 25 years or so for a number of reasons. Dental problems are the most apparent issue associated with canned food.

Then there was the dry food revolution which was better, but it took a long time for improvements to come through in that type of food.
It's better than canned food, but to get the best products one has to spend a lot of money.
For about the same money one can feed pre-prepared BARF patties, with much better health outcomes.

Regarding the OP's particular issue of the dog with virtually no teeth.
I would assume it's plainly clear to everybody, that the dog wouldn't be able to gnaw on a bone, and it's much too late for that aspect.
Regardless, the dog will still be able to swallow and digest the small pieces of bone that would be found in a pre-packaged BARF minced patty.

One could easily feed the dog (by hand in small amounts) the pre-prepared/packaged patties which consists of "all" the good things required for superior K9 health.
I don't know if BARF is available in the USA?
In my earlier post, I did suggest to the OP, to Google the BARF diet in order to help gain further information to go forward with.

In summary.
The patties are simply a ready to serve completely balanced, minced raw food.
I am absolutely confident the dog could virtually be hand fed the mince in very small amounts from one's fingertips. A child could do it.
In terms of dietary requirements for K9's, the BARF diet is the gold standard in every respect.

I sincerely hope the BARF is available in the USA for the OP to have a look at in a reputable pet food store before purchasing.
The OP can make up their own mind in the fullness of time after investigation if genuinely interested.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Brush your dogs teeth to prevent tarter buildup. Mine now loves to have hers brushed.

Smoky

Yes, that's a good idea and I see people are doing that as well these days.
My dog's teeth are perfectly clean with minimal risk of future dental problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back