Does this front bumper have rust from damage and/ or a prior repair?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Looking at the front bumper on the Lexus. I am trying to determine why there is rust at the weld marks, find it unusual, especially for a California vehicle.

Maybe rust from a prior repair?

Any
bumber1.jpg
bumper.jpg
thoughts?

Factory welds on Toyota/Lexus frames like that do rust over time, even though they're nice and black off the showroom. I'm betting that Lexus has been to the Northern part of the state and seen the salt. Probably people who liked to ski and went to the mountains. I can see some other slight surface rust on the frame.

Transport Canada Sticker, it is an import.
DR, Thanks, I just figured that out. The Lexus was titled about 2018 in California. No idea if the odometer is reading miles or kilometers. I use epicvin for research, and found nothing prior to 2018, now I know why- Epicvin appears to only be for US vehicles.

Yes but usually the rust doesn't migrate from there. Eventually it will I'm sure but I haven't found it to be more than a cosmetic issue.

Inferior painted/powder coated parts do not last very long. Manufactures do this to make and save money. These types of parts start rusting right have been driving off the assembly line into the elements.

Nice dealer branded battery even.

I have seen rust on welds and misc frame components also in the NE. Usually, as mentioned above its parts you don't "typically" see often such as when working on vehicle.

This is a LX 470, one of the highest demand vehicles in the USA. I was tracking this LX 470, it is up for auction this morning. When I went to bed last night, the pre-bid was $1300, three bidders. Pre-bid is now $6200, with eight bidders.

Carfax report says minor damage from the accident. Yet a lot of labor was done disassembling the front end. I looked at the pictures on a large screen, as others have note- a lot more corrosion if one does some studying.

I would have purchased this Lexus if I could have been the high bidder at $4500, which equals $5500 with auction fees, and about $6300 with transport costs to bring her home. That is before any parts are purchased. I suspect high bid will be in the 8k-9k range. With fees and transport costs, this vehicle will be over 11k (my guess). This vehicle with a clean title- retail around 2017 with about 75k miles was likely 16k. Amazing how in demand vehicles, such as this LX 470, demand such a premium, here is the auction link.

Correction, since I went to grab the link- pre-bid is now $9600- wow. And of note, only a dealer can bid, not the public, so so-called automotive professionals are only allowed to bid on this baby.

If this was truly a CA vehicle all it’s life there would be no rust. There is a reason upper states and Canada is called the rust belt.

It’s normal for a Canadian vehicle though.
Western provinces including Alberta use grit more than salt. Its colder in Alberta, Sak, and Manitoba...salt doesn't work when its too cold.
Had a 2008 Ford F450 6.4L come in from the Yukon last week for an appraisal, 120,000miles, no rust.
But it probably had another 120,000 miles of idling time. Lol.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Pre bid now over 10k. I was low in my guestimate on what this will sell for today- WOW.

Maybe I need to factor in rich California people that just have to have this exact model- cost might not be a factor to them.

Back