Does synthetic oil increase gas mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just wondering if gas mileage increased for anyone that switched from dino to synthetic? If so please share details.

I've never seen it. That is over the years in many different type of vehicles with I4, H4, I6, V6 and V8 motors.

Syn in the drive train *may* help a little.

Your right foot makes more a difference than anything!

Take care, Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

All oils that meet Energy Conserving guidelines are friction modified and should have very similar frictional losses within a given grade.

Out of all the weights,syns,and dinos I`ve tried,I`ve never noticed any difference at all in gas mileage. Like Bill said,the way you drive is the only thing that`s going to make a difference.

every vehicle I own has gradually improved milage using synthetic oils in the drivetrain.
I dont buy synthetic oil with a starburst symbol on the bottle.
57.gif

my best improvement was my diesel truck that went from 10/12 mpg to 20/22 mpg over a 3 year period.
all the vehicles I maintain all have better mpg than the factory advertising numbers.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
all the vehicles I maintain all have better mpg than the factory advertising numbers.

Same here. I use 50wt oils and I get incredible gas mileage.

How much do you think you'll notice
54.gif
Even at 2% improved fuel economy are talking ...what ...the difference between 33mpg and 33.66mpg. Get real here. For any of you to even comment (by that I mean "acknowledge") on any economy, you're expecting numbers well above anything realistic. Take it down to something in the 15mpg average ..and then what are you looking at, 15.3? Really now. Just tell me how you're going to perceive this and express it when your "process variable" is most likely +/-5-7% (yes, now all the "exception" most interesting men in the world will come forth and show identical back to back to back fuel economy numbers that need to be taken out to 19 places to the right of the decimal point to see a difference).

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
How much do you think you'll notice
54.gif
Even at 2% improved fuel economy are talking ...what ...the difference between 33mpg and 33.66mpg. Get real here. For any of you to even comment (by that I mean "acknowledge") on any economy, you're expecting numbers well above anything realistic. Take it down to something in the 15mpg average ..and then what are you looking at, 15.3? Really now. Just tell me how you're going to perceive this and express it when your "process variable" is most likely +/-5-7% (yes, now all the "exception" most interesting men in the world will come forth and show identical back to back to back fuel economy numbers that need to be taken out to 19 places to the right of the decimal point to see a difference).

HOT DOG!!!

The fact that people put magnets on their fuel lines and swear to significant increases in mileage sort of shows how questionable observations can be. Mileage improvements from oils are like ghosts. People swear they see them and most of them really believe it. But as soon as somebody with a camera or an instrumented test comes along, it vanishes. Look at the SSO thread to see how many people have been seeing ghosts. Obviously people are looking for an increase in mileage, and they are finding them. The increases are real but the cause is mis-attributed.

I wonder if perhaps there should be a sticky about oils and mileage, since it is coming up so much.

Real affects on mileage from differences in oils are very small. Much less than 1mpg, almost always.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX

"Your right foot makes more a difference than anything! "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely! Turn the engine off and push that ride!

i've been thinking about mounting a sail on top of mine :D

I think synthetic may make a difference.....but,"your mileage may vary". A 2% increase,at today's prices,pays for the increment between synthetic and conventional.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
every vehicle I own has gradually improved milage using synthetic oils in the drivetrain.
I dont buy synthetic oil with a starburst symbol on the bottle.

my best improvement was my diesel truck that went from 10/12 mpg to 20/22 mpg over a 3 year period.

50% MPG increase due to the oil.....

(and no one comments....)
smirk2.gif

And how many synthetic oils are there without the starburst symbol? (or brands?)

I wonder what brand it could be?

Quote:
Look at the SSO thread to see how many people have been seeing ghosts. Obviously people are looking for an increase in mileage, and they are finding them.

Quote:
50% MPG increase due to the oil.....

(and no one comments....)

It was so rediculous that it deserved no acknowledgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back