Does synthetic have advantages over modern dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On synthetic oils,are group III`s just plain ole dino oils that have been "cleaned up",sort`ve like the difference between water from a lake and distilled drinking water?

I apologize in advance if this is a totally stupid question that has been asked before. I was just thinking about it,so I thought I`d ask :p

Originally Posted By: snakyjake

Can you please link me to current scientific proof not published by the oil manufacturers?

I seriously doubt oil manufacturers have a lot of incentive to surpass the minimum API rating. And the only thing the triple length is telling me is that a synthetic can last longer than conventional.

Amsoil uses SWRI for their testing, but no oil company has published "scientific proof" which would pass your scrutiny. Amsoil has been publishing the 3X results for many years, and they are not lying.

You are correct about some oil companies and you are correct about synthetic oil lasting longer.

Yes, THey are cleaner ie leave fewer deposits behind and they can hold more additives if esters are used.They have better oxidation resistance especily old schol ester base stocks!

Originally Posted By: snakyjake
Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
Or maybe that wasn't put right. Certain Synthetic oils are rated for certain vehicles, like the MB, BMW

And for some reason I see Japanese cars using cheap bulk conventional oil on the road a lot longer, with a lot less mechanical failures.

Honda spec's synthetic for the RDX, and Nissan for the GT-R. I'm sure there are others.

Castrol has been publishing 8x rusults for 3 years and they are not lying either. Then there is Valvoline they say blah blah blah. NEVER any proof just bovine poop.We all eat it up because we need something to make us sleep at night.Maybe in 2010 the truth will come out. Yeah right.
18.gif

First most "average Joes" that do not change their own oil go 9000 miles on average acording to the owner of Jiffy Lube in a Lub Trends Article. Few cars will make it to 300,000-600,000 miles with 7500-9000 miles OCI's on dino oil. All of the 300K-500K record holders have one thing in common and that 3000 mile OCI's with dino normaly.The synthetic user's can push that OCI out a lot and not suffer any ill effects.

I change my oil twice a year normaly and few on this site have bested my 10K UOA.So I am doing better then most and not changine 4 times a year like I would have to with dino to get the same results. On top of that my engine is as clean today as the day it rolled off the assembly line.I own a bore acope but it is old and does not have a camer mount. I would love to have anewer one so I could post pictures. I got mine used in flight school from an A&P that was a mentor and friend!

Todays GF4/sm oils ahve better base stocks but their additive packages are not as strong as the SL oils they replaced especialy when talking about synthetics. SM killed OTC synthetics in my opinion.

Last edited:
I almost went to work for SWRI but at the time I did not want to move to Texas.....I should have moved and taken the job but hind sight is 20/20 they say.

It's my understanding SM oils go back 6 or 7 years now and I haven't seen any ill effects from it.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
First most "average Joes" that do not change their own oil go 9000 miles on average acording to the owner of Jiffy Lube in a Lub Trends Article. Few cars will make it to 300,000-600,000 miles with 7500-9000 miles OCI's on dino oil. All of the 300K-500K record holders have one thing in common and that 3000 mile OCI's with dino normaly.The synthetic user's can push that OCI out a lot and not suffer any ill effects.

I change my oil twice a year normaly and few on this site have bested my 10K UOA.So I am doing better then most and not changine 4 times a year like I would have to with dino to get the same results. On top of that my engine is as clean today as the day it rolled off the assembly line.I own a bore acope but it is old and does not have a camer mount. I would love to have anewer one so I could post pictures. I got mine used in flight school from an A&P that was a mentor and friend!

Todays GF4/sm oils ahve better base stocks but their additive packages are not as strong as the SL oils they replaced especialy when talking about synthetics. SM killed OTC synthetics in my opinion.

I was looking at some used cars with 100,000 miles on them about 7-10 years old. When open the oil cap I couldn't believe what I saw and it sure didn't look like 3,000 miles OCI. It looked black or closer to black and I believe you are right on the 9,000 miles OCI with dino. That was the first thing that popped in my head. I couldn't believe the lack of maintenance ..... but again that's real world!

In fact someone was selling a used 1997 Corolla with a new engine replaced at 110,000 miles vehicle with 137,000 miles. I ask them why the new engine, their reply 110,000 miles is lot of miles. It was time for a replacement the engine broke down. Unbelievable there are people out there!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning

Yep, and these are the very people that would benefit from using the least expensive synthetic on the market and yet don't because they are cheap. Then they have the nerve and lack of sense to wonder "Hmmm, my car isn't running right. I get a lot of blue smoke, it runs rough and my gas mileage is horrible" and can't connect the dots that their just might be a connection between this and their lack of maintenance.

Quote:
I change my oil twice a year normaly and few on this site have bested my 10K UOA.So I am doing better then most and not changine 4 times a year like I would have to with dino to get the same results.

Same here.
-Wife's '06 VW Golf gets 0w40 M1 or 5w40 Syntec every 6 months since she never comes near the 10k mi interval. (18k mi on the ODO)

-My 03' Buick gets PP 5w30 every time the OLM lights which is about every 10k mi since I do 98% highway mileage and am putting on 10k mi per semester of college. (97k mi on the ODO)

-The only car that gets dino oil is our 2001 Taurus wagon. Its PYB 5w20 on a 4 month change schedule since its only ever used for long distance 4+ day trips with the baby and chocolate lab or in short trips to the grocery or home improvement store. (23.5k mi on the ODO).

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
However I had over 30 yrs of dino use before that and took many an engine to 200,000 miles without many problems. Dino does not hold up as well say in a delivery truck (sever use) if you habitually forget to change the oil on time. If you change it at say 5,000 miles habitually you are good for 200K, IMO.

I'm actually going back to Dino for my 2 lower mileage cars. I rarely put enough miles on before the time is up.

Marijuana wont kill you either but.........

This comment has been bothering me...

Since when, do we ambush/succer punch our buddies...

A little explanation, background, set up would be nice.

There is a little too much condecending BulCrup on this board... we're not all tribologists or oil engineers. m1n>

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
It's my understanding SM oils go back 6 or 7 years now and I haven't seen any ill effects from it.

I did see a well running, well maintained engine that I personally knew it's history throw a rod about 6 or 7 years ago and another I knew well started kocking. I know that doesn't prove much of anything and you'd think a problem with the oil related to SM would cause other types of wear problems instead. I'm sure things like this just happen and the vast majority of engines dran with SM don't have any problems.I personally think SM is better especially if you have a rollerized valvetrain.

i agree, that sucker punch is in bad taste. i also, have a 200,000 miler that has a steady diet of conventional, it runs perfect, and what i can see of the inside looks spotlessly clean too.

what does marijuana have to do with this?

Last edited:
Quote:
There is a little too much condecending BulCrup on this board... we're not all tribologists or oil engineers.

I saw this. Typically it's not the oil engineers or tribologist that will try to sucker punch you. And not even the mechanics or mechanical engineers that will. Seems like it's the ones on here probably working in accounting that will lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: heypete

Does synthetic have any significant advantages to an average car and driver in regards to protection, engine longevity, etc. or would be equally served by a modern dino oil over the life of ones car?

No.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Originally Posted By: heypete

Does synthetic have any significant advantages to an average car and driver in regards to protection, engine longevity, etc. or would be equally served by a modern dino oil over the life of ones car?

No.

I would agree.

Although, I run synthetic in all my vehicles, year around. We do a ton of very short errand runs (start the car, drive it 1 mile, turn it off, start it up, drive it 1 mile)...you get the picture. And we have a lot of mornings that are below 20 degrees (some mornings below zero) for 4 months, so the cold flow properties are important.

If I lived in a more temperant climate, I wouldn't have any issues running a top notch dino 5w30 or 5w20 in our Toyota Yaris, Accent and Toyota 4-Runner.

Yeah...my new VW Passat with 2.0L Turbo will always get a 502 rated Synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink

what does marijuana have to do with this?

I'm not sure, smoking it makes me paranoid, changing my oil with synthetic makes me feel good. Hugs not drugs all.

I use synthetic oil with maintenance and common sense will enable your vehicle to last. Also I once had my radiator fluid emptied from a blown radiator cap and the synthetic oil prevented any damage to the engine. Not sure if dino oil could have done the same.

For 4 oil changes with dino oil, I can do one per year with synthetic oil. I try to look at the pro's and con's with synthetic oil and feel comfortable with the added protection in case of mishaps and less time changing oil. I check my oil and under the hood once a week out of habit just to make sure things are running smooth.

If I can achieve the same 3,000/3 months dino oil intervals with one year 12,000/year with synthetic oil and reach 300,000 miles I'll take the synthetic oil.

Or... if you can take it to 300k and not have to add oil between the 7500-10000 mile OCI, that's a huge success from making an early decision to use synthetic.

Originally Posted By: cjhepburn
Or... if you can take it to 300k and not have to add oil between the 7500-10000 mile OCI, that's a huge success from making an early decision to use synthetic.

Correct I use synthetic after the first oil change in a new engine. Yearly OCI with a quality extended drain synthetic oil. After 150,000 miles engine is still very clean. Never going back to dino oil with yearly OCI of 12,000 miles. Very comfortable with my application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back