Does SuperTech Conventional meet wss-m2c946-a

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find any information on the Walmart website...a friend of mine just picked up a f150 and is considering it...

11.44 a jug...looks like the most economical choice if it does...

Depends on the engine IMO. In a Turbo, I'd use at least a semi-synthetic like MC or even better, a full synthetic. In a non Turbo like the 5.0, I'm sure ST dino would be fine.

Supertech doesn't have any Ford Certifications that I'm aware of.

That doesn't mean that it is not a competent oil, it just means that they didn't pay Ford to certify it along with not paying licensing fees on every bottle and jug. That's part of the reason why it is cheaper than other oils that meet the spec.

I'd have no problem running supertech conventional in a 3.7/3.5NA or 5.0 F150 as long as it's not in warranty.

Supertech states this, "Meets or exceeds the latest North American vehicle warranty requirements API SN and previous API engines classifications SM, SL, SJ, SH
and ILSAC GF-3, GF-4 and GF-5"

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
I can't find any information on the Walmart website...a friend of mine just picked up a f150 and is considering it...

Why did you leave-out year and engine description from your post?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Doublehaul

Why did you leave-out year and engine description from your post?

946-a is the 5w-30 spec, so it must be an ecoboost engine. While supertech conventional would probably be ok, I wouldn't use the conventional version in an ecoboost.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Supertech doesn't have any Ford Certifications that I'm aware of.

That doesn't mean that it is not a competent oil, it just means that they didn't pay Ford to certify it along with not paying licensing fees on every bottle and jug. That's part of the reason why it is cheaper than other oils that meet the spec.

I'd have no problem running supertech conventional in a 3.7/3.5NA or 5.0 F150 as long as it's not in warranty.

I don't think ST conventional has any certs from any manufacturers. If it is under warranty I would use the Ford blend (good stuff.) If it isn't I would use the ST conventional. I have it in my Equinox now and it seems to really love it.

Engines are cheap, oil is expensive. At 17 bucks a jug, Supertech synthetic is well worth it. Walmart.com often has it for 13 bucks. At that price why use conventional, so called.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
While it MIGHT work, why skimp? Spend the extra few bucks and buy Motorcraft instead. That way, you'll KNOW you're using oil that will work.

There is no might work to it. Both will work comparable with the same engine, conditions, and OCI. What is so special about Motorcraft? Nothing it is a API SN GF-5 certified lube. Nothing more nothing less.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
While it MIGHT work, why skimp? Spend the extra few bucks and buy Motorcraft instead. That way, you'll KNOW you're using oil that will work.

There is no might work to it. Both will work comparable with the same engine, conditions, and OCI. What is so special about Motorcraft? Nothing it is a API SN GF-5 certified lube. Nothing more nothing less.

Ever wonder why the conventional oils aren't splattered all over Walmart's shelves in 0W-20? The heat ranges in the Ecoboost make the synthetics & select syn-blends a wiser product / choice to use.

Last edited:

Ever wonder why the conventional oils aren't splattered all over Walmart's shelves in 0W-20? The heat ranges in the Ecoboost make the synthetics a wiser product / choice to use.

For one Motorcraft is not a synthetic. Two even synthetic Motorcraft is not special it can not even pass DEXOS-1. Motorcraft "synthetic" blend 5W30 which would be in the discussion here due to the referenced Ford spec not only does not meet any additional specs over Supertech 5W30. It is contains a higher NOAK. It is thicker than Supertech at -30C. Now do you wish to provide an applicable grade relevant to the discussion or do want to state 5W50 would be better because unlike 5W30 it a synthetic grade.

Ever wonder why the conventional oils aren't splattered all over Walmart's shelves in 0W-20? The heat ranges in the Ecoboost make the synthetics a wiser product / choice to use.

For one Motorcraft is not a synthetic. Two even synthetic Motorcraft is not special it can not even pass DEXOS-1. Motorcraft "synthetic" blend 5W30 which would be in the discussion here due to the referenced Ford spec not only does not meet any additional specs over Supertech 5W30. It is contains a higher NOAK. It is thicker than Supertech at -30C. Now do you wish to provide an applicable grade relevant to the discussion or do want to state 5W50 would be better because unlike 5W30 it a synthetic grade.

You are saying for a fact that Motorcraft (which is semi-syn) cannot meet Dexos? I would think the truth is Ford doesn't care to pay GM for the license fee and the oil probably does meet it. The Dexos certification is actually a step below the old GM4871M spec so Dexos is nothing really special. It only serves purpose to ensure the drivers are atleast using an acceptable oil and to pad their pockets with license fees.

Read my post again. I did mention a few synblends, but not any conventionals. This thread OP brings up Supertech conventional.

BTW.... Is Motorcraft available in synblend 0w20?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
You are saying for a fact that Motorcraft (which is semi-syn) cannot meet Dexos? I would think the truth is Ford doesn't care to pay GM for the license fee and the oil probably does meet it. The Dexos certification is actually a step below the old GM4871M spec so Dexos is nothing really special. It only serves purpose to ensure the drivers are atleast using an acceptable oil and to pad their pockets with license fees.

The real point is that MC 5w-30, synthetic blend or not, does not list any specs above or beyond any ordinary conventional on the market. Could it meet dexos1? I don't know, but it sure doesn't even make the claim. It's fair the Ford won't pay GM the fee. But, the Motorcraft spec doesn't require a blend, unless we just take it for granted that all conventional 5w-30 options are the market are actually blends in the first place, and Motorcraft is saying they're a blend while Shell markets PYB as a conventional.

If Ford's blend is a step above ordinary conventional, they'd do well to show me. How about a dexos1 claim, if not a license? How about A1/B1? How about making a 0w-30 instead of a 5w-30?

Do you have evidence that it failed a dexos test or can not pass because it is not good enough? Not being difficult, just wondering as this is the first time I've heard Motorcraft can't pass DEXOS instead of it probably wont pass DEXOS. How do you know it can't? Is there any reason why Ford would even want to DEXOS approve its motorcraft, probably not. Is NOACK the main issue you see here?

It is interesting that motorcraft in CA is repackaged mobil super. I wonder if motorcraft full syn in CA is repackaged mobil super synthetic? Wonder if thats any better than the P66 made motorcraft with the new updates to their lines and oils in the recent months.

The engine in question is a 2.7 turbo...but the listed spec in the owners manual makes no mention of requiring anything above and beyond wss-m2c946-a. The owner is not one to buy into marketing or hype...just wants the most economical oil that meets the requirements of his vehicle. Based on the fact that ST doesn't have this spec...he will likely be using service pro at a 5k oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back