Do thicker weight oils cost more to produce?

I'm looking for reasonably priced 5W50. I can find full synthetic 5W20 and 5W30 for $22 in 5 quart jugs at Walmart which is $4.40 a quart, but they don't sell any 5W50. The cheapest 5W50 I found was Mobil 1 at NAPA for $7. Does it cost more to make the thicker weight oil? Anybody know a cheaper place for 5W50?

First, buying oil from your local Napa is almost always gonna be more $$$ than Walmart

Second, 5w-50 is not one of the popular oils most people buy.
It's kinda hard to find in any retail store. Even on Amazon it's $10 a quart.

At Walmart you should be able to find M1 15w-50 which is a very good choice.
Otherwise you'll have to settle for 5w-40.

My local Walmart has Mobil 1 15w50 for $29 and change for 5qt jugs. Castrol 5w50qts for $8.88 but shipping only. Sure Amazon has some too

First, buying oil from your local Napa is almost always gonna be more $$$ than Walmart

Second, 5w-50 is not one of the popular oils most people buy.
It's kinda hard to find in any retail store. Even on Amazon it's $10 a quart.

At Walmart you should be able to find M1 15w-50 which is a very good choice.
Otherwise you'll have to settle for 5w-40.

First, Walmart doesn't have 5W50 as I posted.

Second, I know were I can buy 15W-50 or 5W-40, that's why I'm asking where to get 5W-50.

Castrol Edge is still a fairly commonly-found 5W-50; you should be able to find it on sale in a 5-quart jug.

Castrol Edge is still a fairly commonly-found 5W-50; you should be able to find it on sale in a 5-quart jug.
I don't think I've ever seen 5W-50 in a jug, it's a low volume product that they pretty much only sell it by the quart, plus depending on what you need it for Edge 5W-50 may not be the right choice, if it's for a Ford then fine, if it's for Porsche then no.

Back