Does signing the back of a title release you from liability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
In CA, the act of turning over the vehicle to another owner will release you from liability.
But you have to be able to prove it.
www.DMC.CA.GOV has the release of ownership form on-line.
Or you can mail it in if you have the pink and associated paperwork.

Do it!
I also keep insurance on the vehicle for about 2 weeks, just in case.
Finally, I do prefer selling to a dealership to avoid any problems.
Kinda an insurance hedge against trouble.

What about unpaid registration fees? I bought a vintage used car once with a clear pink slip but got stuck with 5 years unpaid registration fees. Over $600 with penalties and interest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MNgopher
The answer will vary slightly by state, but your best bet is always to go to the DMV/Registrar whatever your state calls it and transfer it with both parties present. I've even found that can often make an easy place to meet to help a transaction go down.

In Minnesota, the car is legally yours until the party that bought the vehicle has the title transfered into their name. You can report the sale to the state, but it doesn't get you off the hook...

This ^ Each State is different. Make sure you notify DMV somehow ... In Cali we do as above
smile.gif

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I've heard that you need to go with the buyer and get the title out of your name, but it seems like a lot of people just sign the back of it and let the buyer go and let it be their responsibility to get it in their name. That just seems stupid to sell something and let the buyer take it when it's still in your name basically.

Opinions?

The short answer is, it depends. In NC that's how it used to be.. A few years ago, it got way more complicated. Now, both buyer and seller must sign in front of a notary, which then signs and adds their seal. I got jammed up a few years ago when I tried to get title to an older van, the owner no longer lived in NC and did not have NC home address. Darn thing sat in my back lot for several years until I found I could declare it as an abandoned vehicle. All the fees and such were more then what the thing was worth. It still sets out back, runs good, but just not worth the trouble. Will scrap it some day.

A friend of mine in Delaware just signed over the title, took the cash, and the guy left. Three days later the cops jacked him up and not very politely inquired why "his truck" was involved in a high speed chase which damaged a cop car. My friend was saved because he had extensive texts in his phone from the buyer and had the buyers name and address on a hand written bill of sale. I would go with the buyer to change the title over or no sale. Otherwise an angry cop may play the nightstick concerto on your cranium :)

Originally Posted by tcp71
I would think a bill of sale signed by both parties along with that signature on the title would handle any legal liability. Seller should keep a copy of both with originals going with the buyer.

This, plus whatever your state requires. Time and date on the BOS, both signatures, and that you sold xxx vehicle for xxx price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back