Does Moly in Redline Oil Plate Up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've read how moly plates up on metal surfaces. I know there are different forms of Moly, not sure if they act the same ?. So does the moly in Redline oil plate up effectively ?. I will be running this oil for at least the next 2 years given my current supply of it. I'm not asking if this is a good oil or if other oils are better, I just want to know if the moly used in Redline plates up well enough.

Thanks for any replies.

Good question! Is it Soluble Moly, MoDtc or MoDtp, if so, isnt a mechanical solid lubricant as molybdenum dissulfide. But, actually I dont know if it plates as MoS2 or not. Id say, no it doesnt. I think they use the soluble version as friction modifier in energy conserving donut oil. Let the experts explain this.

the MoS2 layer created by MoDTC or MoDTP is much thinner than the one you get from MoS2 solid lubricants. The latter goes up to 1.2µm thick

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies. So pretty much all of the moly you see pre-mixed in motor oil would be soluble ?, and to get the type that plates up means adding to an oil ?. I always attributed the darker Red Line oil colour to the heavy dose of moly, I find it easier to read on the dipstick when the oil is fresh.

As much as it can assist with friction modification, wouldn't it also protect in metal to metal contact situations as an anti-wear additive ?

Last edited:
If the oil is dark to black since new, chances are, it uses a solid version of moly in particulate powder MoS2. Youd need to ask the formulator, but its propietary info some say. Red line isnt that black IMO.

Base oil? Or add pack? I thought base oils are clear and detergents, dispersants are the darker part on the mix, according to some blends I saw.
https://youtu.be/UAcCK01XIqM
At 3 minutes and beyond, on the video, you see what Im talking about.

Last edited:
The oil seems as dark as the castrol syntrans multivehicle 75w-90 GL4, which uses an ester base aswell but totally different addpack.

The regular oils have the typical golden colour.

That video uses colours because it makes for better video, who kows what they're actually mixing.... might be maple syrup...

Last edited:
Maybe, but for Valvoline, I think maple syrup is harder to get than additives
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Except Schaeffer, and it uses the same Group II+, Group III, and Group IV base oils as everyone else. The color is purely from the add pack, and in Schaeffer's case, green instead of the "typical" golden. Their 5w30 full synthetic has a heavy load of moly... 309 ppm.

From the Chevron Delo base oil site, all of their Group II and II+ base oils are clear. Would probably be same for the synthetics.

http://www.chevronbaseoils.com/content/d..._10-30-2015.pdf

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Except Schaeffer, and it uses the same Group II+, Group III, and Group IV base oils as everyone else. The color is purely from the add pack, and in Schaeffer's case, green instead of the "typical" golden. Their 5w30 full synthetic has a heavy load of moly... 309 ppm.

From the Chevron Delo base oil site, all of their Group II and II+ base oils are clear. Would probably be same for the synthetics.

http://www.chevronbaseoils.com/content/d..._10-30-2015.pdf

Is the moly in Schaeffer's oil the same as Red Line, i.e. - soluble which doesn't tend to plate up ? Also doesn't all moly act as anti-wear additive ?

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Petro-Canada indicates the same thing about their Group III/III+ stuff.

JSRT4: Moly will be an AW compound if in sufficiently high concentration. I'm not even sure if Red Line and Schaeffer are high enough in that regard.

Originally Posted By: JSRT4
We've read how moly plates up on metal surfaces. I know there are different forms of Moly, not sure if they act the same ?. So does the moly in Redline oil plate up effectively ?. I will be running this oil for at least the next 2 years given my current supply of it. I'm not asking if this is a good oil or if other oils are better, I just want to know if the moly used in Redline plates up well enough.

Thanks for any replies.

All moly should do the same as the end result. Organic moly compounds are usually preferred because they are soluble and interact better with the surfaces as well as other additives. Moly is primarily an EP additive but it also decreases friction as an FM additive. It also works as an AO additive. It works together with the AW/AO additive ZDDP. Some moly compounds such as trinuclear moly of Infineum require lower treat rates. You probably don't want more than a certain amount because it could interfere with detergents and other additives.

Moly and other EP additives will become more important in the near future when the oils get thinner and metal-to-metal contact increases as a result.

Thanks for the added replies, that is very helpful information. I'll be running Red Line for the next 2 driving seasons either way, look forward to seeing how it performs.

I contacted Red Line with the same question and got the following reply. Not much info, but worth sharing:

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the moly along with the antiwear package provides friction and wear protection, most of our motor oils contain 600 ppm moly.

Glad to hear the product is performing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back